Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #15

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
But if put away with used oil there are acids that form from the condensation and contaminates and sit there during storage, put the engine away with clean oil and the acids don't get a chance to form.
I have always changed the oil in the boats and other motors before storing them and, of course, they are never started during the winter. I didn't the MH!! It only had 1500 miles from an oil change in May of 2012 and I thought I would wait until May of 2013. I have heard on previous threads to start the engine once a month including the genny, which I have done faithfully. I put a load on the genny, but after 20 minutes at 1000 RPM on the cat it won't come off the cold. Running it down the road is not an option...if you saw where we lived. I was going to start it up again today........now I'm wondering if I'm doing the right thing?? Maybe the oil should just sit in the pan until we take it out of storage? We live in the mountains of the NW where snow sits on the ground from November thru March. It sits in an unheated shop and the average temperature is 28-30 degrees. Next fall I think I'll get an oil change and just store it without starting it during the winter and maybe I should be doing the same thing for the genny? It's a quandary!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2013, 01:32 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
With a diesel, you are better off not to start it at all if you can't get it out on the road and get everything up to normal operating temperature. You can exercise the gen because you can load it up with accessories, not so with the engine.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:05 PM   #17

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csrrsr View Post
It's getting to be that time of year and I have been reading previous threads on the oil changes that are coming up as Spring arrives Most change their oil on an annual basis. Others go by their mileage. Still others are using a theme of moisture getting into the oil during the storage period from a build up of condensation inside the block, thus, the reason for the annual oil change. So, I have two questions that were not addressed in previous threads: Is this condensation build up more or less depending on what part of the country your in? And...does this mean if I change the oil prior to storage, because of the condensation, this new oil needs to be changed again in the spring? I lied: third question, Where does one go to get an oil analysis?
Use oil analysis. It's just like a blood test and will show you the condition of the oil, whether or not its contaminated and whether or not it has many more miles left in it.

Read my technical paper on the Allison Transmission forum for an explanation.
hzjcm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:22 PM   #18

I always Change mine in the spring. I figure whatever acids build up will just be in the pan anyway. I would be more concerned with condensation getting in with my clean oil then running it all season with that water mixed in. I don't start it for the 4 or 5 months while in storage either.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:49 PM   #19

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatlakes View Post
I always Change mine in the spring. I figure whatever acids build up will just be in the pan anyway. I would be more concerned with condensation getting in with my clean oil then running it all season with that water mixed in. I don't start it for the 4 or 5 months while in storage either.
Typical water content will be less than 0.1% which will boil off quickly.
hzjcm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:40 PM   #20

I change mine after the winter in the spring. I do run mine around town and on the highway for about 30 minutes every couple of weeks during the winter with the generator running. Not only does it heat up the oil and burn off the moisture, it heats up the tires and keeps them from getting a permanent flat spot on them.

In the end, I'm not sure it matters when you change the oil (before or after winter) unless you drive a huge number of miles. My RV will be 10 years old before I break 50K miles. I think water leaks and tires are more of an issue than the engine. Just my two cents worth!

Tags
storage