Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2013, 05:23 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Should I change oil before or after storage?

It's getting to be that time of year and I have been reading previous threads on the oil changes that are coming up as Spring arrives Most change their oil on an annual basis. Others go by their mileage. Still others are using a theme of moisture getting into the oil during the storage period from a build up of condensation inside the block, thus, the reason for the annual oil change. So, I have two questions that were not addressed in previous threads: Is this condensation build up more or less depending on what part of the country your in? And...does this mean if I change the oil prior to storage, because of the condensation, this new oil needs to be changed again in the spring? I lied: third question, Where does one go to get an oil analysis?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2013, 05:35 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Cummins and CAT both say to change it before storage.

I got my oil test kit from one of the commercial members on the forum. JG Lubricant Services is the company name.

I tested my engine oil just before I put it in beside the house for the winter. Came back good to go for another 5,000 miles.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:28 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
If I actually "stored" my coach for the winter I'd change the oil before. Since we use it even in the winter I go more by mileage, which for me works out to around once every 18 months.

I used to "store" my race car in the trailer over the winter. One time I pulled the oil pan before running the motor and couldn't believe all the rust on the inside of the block and bottoms of the cylinder walls. The car had sat for less than 4 months.

We actually pulled the motor and had it rebuilt before running it.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:13 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Change oil before storage. Put it to bed with a nice clean oil charge for the winter.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:55 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I think it's important to run the engine on a regular basis, even when it's in storage. That's especially true if it's a diesel. It would be even better to take it out on the road for maybe 30 minutes or so at least once a month. I run mine every week.

It's also important to run the generator regularly!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:17 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Absolutely before storage. You don't want to give the contaminants and acids that build up under regular use a chance to sit in your motor, coagulate and attack all of the nice shiny metal. And if you periodically run it, it needs to be at operating temp for a good 1/2 hour or you are actually introducing more moisture (during the cold startup) and doing more harm than good. Ask any vintage car collector.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:01 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Before, let it sit all winter with clean oil, not dirty oil. If you are going to run it, just to exercise it during the winter, be sure to take it out on the highway and get everything up to normal operating temperature.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:38 PM   #8

Great questions! I was one of those that believed its better to do in the spring/pre-season. Well a friend who is a boater told me this past fall you always put the rig away full of fresh oil! Ok, he set me straight on that, however I believe there is no hope for me because it wasn't until I started responding to this thread that it dawned on me back in my boating days I Always Changed My Oil BEFORE winter storage on my Chevy V8 Boat.
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:48 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I'm with the change oil before storage group. The reasons have been previously posted. As to starting the engine during storage, forget it. Let the engine sleep. Call the manufacturer of your engine and ask them.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:49 PM   #10

I do it back wards on all my toys, I put fresh fluids in before I plan on using them.

My thinking is the fluids are just sitting there so who cares if they are dirty ot clean? If the engine sits idle long enough most of the oil is going to make it to the pan for removal. Who cares if condensation is in the oil if it's just sitting?

Now before I start my boat or classic cars again after winter I change all fluids.

If the new oil sits all winter and then you use it all that condensation and other contaminants are there all season.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:06 PM   #11

Before ...
Old 03-06-2013, 06:14 PM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I think it's important to run the engine on a regular basis, even when it's in storage. That's especially true if it's a diesel. It would be even better to take it out on the road for maybe 30 minutes or so at least once a month. I run mine every week.

It's also important to run the generator regularly!
Cummins officially says, if you can't run the engine long enough to get it up to full operating temperature don't even bother to start it. High idle won't get it hot enough, it has to be under load.
Spartan says to drive the rig at least 30 miles at higway speeds.
This came to me in email answers to the tech dept to answer questions just like being discussed here.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:16 PM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoafan View Post
I do it back wards on all my toys, I put fresh fluids in before I plan on using them.

My thinking is the fluids are just sitting there so who cares if they are dirty ot clean? If the engine sits idle long enough most of the oil is going to make it to the pan for removal. Who cares if condensation is in the oil if it's just sitting?

Now before I start my boat or classic cars again after winter I change all fluids.

If the new oil sits all winter and then you use it all that condensation and other contaminants are there all season.
But if put away with used oil there are acids that form from the condensation and contaminates and sit there during storage, put the engine away with clean oil and the acids don't get a chance to form.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:52 PM   #14

During my career as a mechanic in the Canadian Army we used to store the vehicles which were designated as reserves in the event of a war during the Cold War era in long term storage (many years). On a cyclical program the vehicles would be removed from storage for use in summer manouvers with our reserved forces and then returned to long term storage. We always put the engine away with clean oil so that the acids don't get a chance to form unwanted corrosion and possibly lower the quality of bearings, babbits and other internal engine components. As a result I always store my motorcycle, motorhome and other toys with fresh oil and filters. I recall a Fram oil filter commercial from many years ago referencing doing regular oil changes "pay me now or pay me later" the pay me now was only the cost of an oil change the pay me later was to rebuild or replacethe engine.
Les
hicksie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage