RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2019, 03:33 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Should I convert to Induction Cooktop and go all electric?

I have a 2008 Classic Tiffin Allegro Bus. I have Aquahot and a residential fridge. I have a large propane tank that only feeds a small cooktop.

The wife wants to replace the countertops in the Coach. I was thinking if the countertops are replaced, this would be a good time to replace the old gas cooktop with a new induction cooktop.

The wife is not a fan of electric stoves, but has heard good things about induction cooktops. Switching would allow me to remove the large tank, gain a storage compartment, and have one less thing to pull around.

We plan to be fulltime in the next two years and would like to boondock. We have multiple solar panels along with 6 coach batteries.

I am asking for your advice and thoughts....Thanks!

pete5016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2019, 03:41 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Sounds like a great plan, if you ask me. Many like induction better than gas for cooking.

If you can get rid of the propane tank - and build in a new compartment in it's place - BONUS!

Old 12-10-2019, 03:49 PM   #3

Buy an inductive counter top to test at home. If the wife likes the way it cooks then try it out on your next RV trips. If you still like it and your coach electrical can keep the battires charge then rip the LP out.
WantAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 03:49 PM   #4

How do heat your coach when it’s cold weather ?
Florida Rang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 03:51 PM   #5

We have a portable induction cooktop and love it. Does not generate any heat. Huge difference when cooking inside. If I were replacing countertops definitely would install an induction cooktop. We do not boondock. BUT, if we did, then would keep gas stove top. But that’s just me.
You mentioned removing the tank. What about heat? Not planning on using the gas heaters? Electric heaters will eat up your battery life very quickly.
Either way, rv life is still gonna be awesome!,
Old 12-10-2019, 04:01 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I do most of the cooking and I like the induction cooktop very much. If you go that way I would do the research on which one to go with. The one built into our countertop has very little control over the heat, will burn food if we go above the "3" setting. I've heard this problem from others that spent the money and switched to another brand. Wish I had the brand name of the better one, I apologize
Home State is Kentucky
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 04:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgman50 View Post
If I were replacing countertops definitely would install an induction cooktop. We do not boondock. BUT, if we did, then would keep gas stove top. But that’s just me.
And me. An induction cooktop can suck up a lot of juice, depending on how much you use it. Any that makes heat as its primary function sucks a lot of juice. Mine had the optional LP cooktop from the factory, and the OP pulled it out and installed a 2-burner Furrion induction unit, for reasons I can't fathom. But it is nice having that flat counter surface instead of gas burners, though.

Perhaps the OP should consider installing a smaller LP tank if it's bigger than needed, and gain some storage space - just not as much as with no tank.
Old 12-10-2019, 04:06 PM   #8

OP has aqua-hot, this heats coach and heats water. I have induction and prefer it to gas or radiant electric.
Old 12-10-2019, 04:06 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
WantAB has the right idea. We use the induction cook-top and it's okay. I like gas better but I also like having no propane and I'm sure you could use the space the tank takes up for something important!!!
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 04:15 PM   #10

I agree with the earlier post about getting a portable/countertop induction heater to test out at home first. You can get one from Ikea for about $50.

At home I cook on a gas range, and to me cooking on the induction is just not the same. I tend to lift the pan off the burner quite frequently to toss things around, and that's not possible to do on an induction cooktop. At least not easily. The induction cooktop will shut off if it doesn't sense a pan in contact with it, so lifting the pan off the burner creates a problem.

If you tend to leave your skillet still on the burner while cooking, then it won't be a problem. But, if you are like me and lift the pan to toss things around by flicking the pan, you might find the same frustration.

The other issue is how to power the cooktop while on battery power (boondocking). You can run an induction cooktop from an inverter, but it's going to put a big load on your batteries while being used. Unless you have a way to recharge, you might run into problems making it through the night. Especially since you already need your batteries to power your residential fridge overnight.

Since much cooking is done for dinner, and since this is past the peak time for solar charging, you'll have to make it through the night on what's left over after using the battery power to run the cooktop. You might find yourself having to run the generator to either cook dinner or to recharge the batteries, and to me one of the joys of boondocking is the quiet.
Old 12-10-2019, 04:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
I agree with the earlier post about getting a portable/countertop induction heater to test out at home first. You can get one from Ikea for about $50.

At home I cook on a gas range, and to me cooking on the induction is just not the same. I tend to lift the pan off the burner quite frequently to toss things around, and that's not possible to do on an induction cooktop. At least not easily. The induction cooktop will shut off if it doesn't sense a pan in contact with it, so lifting the pan off the burner creates a problem.

If you tend to leave your skillet still on the burner while cooking, then it won't be a problem. But, if you are like me and lift the pan to toss things around by flicking the pan, you might find the same frustration.

The other issue is how to power the cooktop while on battery power (boondocking). You can run an induction cooktop from an inverter, but it's going to put a big load on your batteries while being used. Unless you have a way to recharge, you might run into problems making it through the night. Especially since you already need your batteries to power your residential fridge overnight.

Since much cooking is done for dinner, and since this is past the peak time for solar charging, you'll have to make it through the night on what's left over after using the battery power to run the cooktop. You might find yourself having to run the generator to either cook dinner or to recharge the batteries, and to me one of the joys of boondocking is the quiet.
Generator for induction. just run gen for cooking. Or cook outside with a small propane stove and/or griddle.
Bobbafett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 05:28 PM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Wifey loves our induction cooktop!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 06:27 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Should I convert to Induction Cooktop and go all electric?

DW loves the induction. Many pro cooks love it for the heat control it provides. Requires a proper pan and some understanding how it works. Most people think it the old glass top electric they hated .. it’s not.
If we need to use it ( portable) boon docking a short generator run at 5or 6 pm charges the batteries some more and cooks dinner or better yet cooks breakfast while The charger shoves over 100 amp/hr into the batteries so they can get a good head start and solar can finish it off
Truth is though , we cook outside on the griddle mostly.
BillJinOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 05:53 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
For decades gas only for cooking until induction. Anytime you’re cooking (microwave) while dry camping you run the generator instead of depleting the batteries. I removed the propane oven/cooktop in our “new” rig and put in a 2 burner induction that can be removed (taken outside) plus storage below. Most SS pans are magnetic so they will work on induction...you do not need special pans.

I bought a portable propane campfire to use up the full propane tank to remove. Like it so much (not getting rid of the propane) that I bought a portable single burner that can be used inside or outside if running the generator is an issue.

Tags
electric