Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2014, 01:04 AM   #1

Should I go to Gafney?

I have had my coach now for several months. I bought it in Oregon and drove it home (2500 miles) to Houston. It ran flawlessly. It's an 02 (see my sig) and I purchased it from the original owner with 35k miles. I know he did oil and tranny fluid changes at a local diesel shop but I'm not sure what PM was done.

I'm debating on whether to take it to a local diesel truck shop or go to Camp Freightliner next year and have them go through the coach. I know it would be the best scenario to go to Gafney but I'm wondering if it could be to pricey. Would they give me a quote over the phone if I told them to change all fluids and filters, change hoses, belts, flush and service radiator and CAC, check ride height, do 4 wheel alignment and start a new baseline for a coach with 40K miles and check and service all items as if they had not been completed?

I understand they can't quote things they have not checked that might need replacing instead of just servicing. Just wondering what it would cost to have all those items completed. My local Coach Care shop was crazy expensive ($2100 parts and labor) to just change belts and hoses and flush drain cooling system.

Also was I dreaming or did I read there was a certain time of the year Gafney gave special pricing??
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2014, 05:36 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
I would not hesitate to take your new coach to Gaffney. I've been there three times, and never had a better service experience anywhere. Schedule a couple of months ahead during Camp Freightliner to make sure you get the time you desire. Talk to Pat, and give her the last 6 of your VIN. She can tell you exactly what the factory service recommends. Allow an extra morning to take the factory tour. They have twenty 50 amp hookups outside the service facility, arrive early the day before so you get a site there and don't have to go over to a campground. I'm sure they can give you an estimate over the phone. I did the same thing(baseline) a few years on another coach, and I ran my bill over $3k, including 4-wheel align met where they had to break welds on the rear axle and replace the plastic coolant tank with metal. You will find they actually care about motorhomes(that's all they service) and you will know it was done right.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:27 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I second "Turtlekent". I did the same service when I purchased our 04 MH. Gaffney performed a M3 service schedule when I had 23K miles to baseline the coach. I also replaced hoses, belts, coolant, lubricated front and rear brake rollers and S-cams, adjusted the engine valves, replaced the alternator (it failed on the way to the service), replaced the air dryer and purchased spare filters and belts. Our baseline cost was $3.5K.

The second service witch included the Camp FTL charge, M2 schedule service and a rear axle seal was $1.5k at 46K miles. You must purchase the aluminum wheel polish and wax. It works much better than Mothers polish.

Pat at the service desk is the best! Very very knowledgeable and customer oriented. You will be satisfied with the whole teams dedication to MHs. They have the parts, facilities, and expertise to perform service on the chassis.

Save travels and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 08:33 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Why wait for Camp Freightliner? You can make an appointment with Gafney at any time. The prices are reasonable, often even lower than many dealers, and the quality of service is excellent. And you get a 5% discount if you are an FCOC member as well.

Yes, they can give you price estimates over the phone for typical items like fluid changes, filters, etc.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 08:38 AM   #5

You won't regret going to Gaffney for service. I took mine to get all fluids changed and have brakes serviced. I scheduled a 48 month service plus extra things. They called be twice during the day to let me know about issues they found and I was not blind sided with any thing I did not know about. Best $1600 I every spent on my RV. Also they have winter discount rates and have a new program where you can pay a little extra and get to go into the service bay and watch and learn. Also Camp FL is great as is the factory tour.
johnsonk555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Why wait for Camp Freightliner? You can make an appointment with Gafney at any time. The prices are reasonable, often even lower than many dealers, and the quality of service is excellent. And you get a 5% discount if you are an FCOC member as well.

Yes, they can give you price estimates over the phone for typical items like fluid changes, filters, etc.
It's a 2000 mile RT or I would be there Monday . Camp Freightliner looks interesting so thought I would get the most bang for my trip combining the 2. I'll call Pat and see if I can get some pricing for establishing a new baseline moving forward. I have an Uncle up that way in Charlotte so another great excuse to make the trek.

Hoping I can bring the coach service up to date and keep it in the 3.5K range. I can live with that if it includes belts, hoses and radiator service. I put new rubber on before I drove it home so got that expense out of the way. The tranny was also serviced by the previous owner at 24k so I should be good there.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:59 PM   #7

Has anyone used Gafney lately to change out all the fluids and filters along with belts and hoses, do the services to establish a new baseline for their coach? If so would you mind sharing what this cost?
Old 11-24-2014, 06:08 PM   #8

Made my reservation for the Camp Freightliner class for March. I will be driving the coach from Houston and will have their service department complete what was once called an M3 service along with replacing the belts and hoses. Very happy to have such a good place to get the service done even if it is a long way from home.