Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2012, 08:06 AM   #1

should I have engine drive belt replaced

We purchased a 2005 Winnabego Voyage last June (used) and I am taking it in for its first for me OIL CHANGE...The rig has 12,000 miles on it and my question is should I have engines drive belt replaced..I know it has low milage on it but it is 7 years old...I had my local tire guy inspect all 6 tires and they are good as new, so I am not concerned about them. Curious what everyone out there thinks..Thanks
lt6215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2012, 08:16 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Assuming a gas engine and a sepentine belt, you should be all set. I have a 13 y.o. Ford with 120,000 mi and the original belt.

Experts say 7 y.o. tires are reaching their end on RVs....regardless of miles. However, if you had them inspected, don't worry about for now. Just have them checked again next year.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:25 AM   #3

Yes it is a gas engine...I know the vehicle was stored indoors most of its life and the tires are Michelin xrv with no cracking or signs of any problems..Thanks
lt6215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:27 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
7 years old and 12,000 miles not much use I would change them as non use becomes
a factor in their life span. Besides I like knowing the odds of changing one along side
the road is less.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:38 AM   #5

Unless the person that inspected your tires has x-ray vision I would replace the tires. They have gotten the 'age' limit. Besides replacing the tire now will be a LOT cheaper than repairs after one of them blows. I replaced our last summer and they had about half of their tread left.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:45 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
What are the DOT date codes on the tires?
You think blowing a tire on a MH is bad try blowing a main tire on a plane that will
get your attention.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:57 AM   #7

About your drive belt

If you have a 8.1 Vortec, I recommend to replaced or to have one extra I do have an extra cost me $85.00 and need to be ordered, so that means you could not find that belt every where,so be aware,just in case.
dinkie0720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:52 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Serpentine belt: Inspect it. If there any cracks or signs or wear replace it. If you are the type that looks both ways before crossing a one-way street, replace it anyway and save the old one as a spare. Most modern fan belts are easily replaced by using a 1/2" breaker to remove tension on the tensioner pulley. Find a diagram that shows the belt routing, or make a drawing before removing the old belt.

Tires: A 2005 coach can easily have 2004 dated tires. You are on the edge as far as tire age goes. You say they look good, but I've had perfectly good looking tires explode (Goodyear G670's) at the 5 year point. Maybe think about replacing just the front two now and the rears next year. That lessens the financial pain.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:49 PM   #9

I still have the original belt on my `94 Ram with over 130,000 miles on it. I did buy a spare for it and my MH. The tires that came on my `04 MH were `03 tires with 15K on them and looked great. I still replace the G670s with Toyo's. My MH was also kept indoors.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:57 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
This penny wise pound foolish approach of run it until it fails never made sense to me.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:06 PM   #11

I take PayPal if it'll help you sleep better at night.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:19 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Personally I wouldn't take a chance with the belt. If anything else at least purchase a new one and carry it with you. Had mine chaged just a couple of weeks ago and though I have about 20K more miles than you do, the belt was quite cracked on the groove side.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:30 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Rubber degrades with time. Just had my 03 Sightseer in for a oil change and other pre-trip preventative maintenance. One item I wanted checked was the serpentine belt. My (trusted mechanic) told me it fell apart when checking it. I would not take a chance, replace it. A lot cheaper now then on the road.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:30 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2Home View Post
Unless the person that inspected your tires has x-ray vision I would replace the tires. They have gotten the 'age' limit. Besides replacing the tire now will be a LOT cheaper than repairs after one of them blows. I replaced our last summer and they had about half of their tread left.
Michelin says the "age limit" is 10 years, but after the 5th year they should be inspected by a professional. To really inspect a tire you have to look inside. I changed our Michelins out at about 8½ years.
I don't believe the so called "7 year rule" and neither do the tire companies.

I changed my serpentine belt and air conditioner belt at about 25,000 miles. The OEM belts were still in great condition so I put them under the bed for possible emergency use. Much nicer to change a belt in your driveway when it's sunny out than alongside the highway in the rain. Also, you know right away if they gave you the wrong belt and, by keeping the old one, I have a ready, known good, spare
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote