Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2010, 08:21 AM   #43

Keep in mind that codes vary from one area to another. I dont think the National code calls for that ground rod but I am NOT an electrician. I have never seen a ground rod near a pedestal in any trailer park. I know that usually a sub panel requires a ground rod but perhaps there is something in the code that addresses RV panels.Where we live burial wire has to be 2 ft. under but flex cable can be 12 inches.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2010, 08:33 AM   #44

Send a message via Skype™ to vermilye
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
...You "may" be able to skip the 4rth conductor. We did with the pool / hot tub. Oddly, code for a house says one and only one ground, at the main panel, everything else grounded off of that, but code for a pool says a separate bonding wire with a ground rod 10 feet into the ground.

So the cable coming out of the house is 2 hots and a neutral. (times 2)
Please do not even consider installing a sub panel or feed to a pool without a ground wire included with the hots & neutral. Although driving a ground rod & attaching it to the wired ground buss is a good idea for a pool, using the ground rod in place of a ground wire is not acceptable under any code I know of.

The purpose of the ground wire is to trip the feeder's circuit breaker if there is a fault to any metal in the pool area. You cannot depend on the earth to have a low enough resistance between the pool area & the service entrance where the system ground is located to cause enough current to trip the breaker when there is a fault to ground.

Again, in all but a few rare cases, a ground wire must be run with the hots & neutral.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:39 AM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
I am not an electrician, but I helped build high voltage substations which are typically 600V and above.

I am certified RV Tech, so we had some electrical theory in class. As mentioned, some things to consider, wire size, length of run, approved panel and breakers, which have been mentioned. IF it was me, and I was close to the maximum size based on my length of run, I would go to the next larger size to be safe.

I know you have to have the ground and neutral separate in the panel and having a ground rod near the panel won't hurt.

In RV parks, they have 10-20 spots off the same transformer and the grounds run back to that ground rod for that loop of sites. It costly to have ground rods for each site, so they bond all the grounds together with 4/0 copper medium ground and tie them all together back to the ground rod in the transformer.

When laying out the ground mat for a substation, the HV code and lessons learned dictates every so many square feet a new rod is driven into the ground and that rod is then bonded to the rest of the mat. I think it was every 50 linear feet in all directions, but I never was in that part of the process.

For my application, my box, and my panel are within 20 feet of each other, but I am still going to use the correct size wire and come back to the panel for the neutral and ground and both hot wires. We converted to gas, so the DPST 30A breaker and the 50 & 70 AMP DPST breakers are not needed any longer for the furnace, so I have 150A free in the panel to provide a 50A for the motorhome. It just means getting dirty and fiberglass all over me when I run the wires.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:20 AM   #46

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
I would have the electrician come out once to inspect and tell you if you can run 50 or 30 and what wire to purchase. Then I would run two conduits to the rv site, one for the electrical line and one for low voltage, telephone and intercom. Install the electrical line that the electrician specifies and when done call the electrician back out to do the actual hook up to both ends.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:57 AM   #47

Besides what JDooleysaid:

The cost to upgrade is insignificant when creating a new installation. Consider that additional conduit (with fly line) for additional future services. Cable TV coax, cat 6 data cable or even a phone line. You are doing the trenching and backfilling so "might as well"... "while you are at it"...
Old 12-12-2010, 06:55 PM   #48

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Thanks vermilye... yep, that's the site. I created my account and you're sure right about the reader being a pain to use. It's good background information.
Do a print screen and save to a word document