Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-06-2012, 09:23 AM   #1
should I pay

I purchasd a 2009 Southwind 32vs last on March 30. It had a couple of minor issues which I made arrangements to get repaired on Friday April 6. The list was to program the satellite to my direct tv and the back up camera goes on and off intermittently. The dealer agreed to make things "right". Now that I am here they are telling me that the previous owner took the power supply for the Kingdome and I would have to purchase one. Also the unit was not hooked up properly and would require an additional $150.00 dollars if I wanted it fixed. The make it right part seems to me to be selling me the parts at cost and reducing their labor charges. The back up camera needs a new display which they are saying will cost me another $200.00. At this point I'm ready to blow a gasket. I now understand the "make it right clause." No money has changed hands yet but the service manager keeps referring to "the as is" statement on the purchase agreement. I have signed documents listing the problems and a verbal agreement from the salesman to get it repaired. Am I being unreasonable in refusing to pay for the things they promised at the time of the sale?

2006 Itasca Suncruiser 38T
Traveling with Westies, Max, Ellie and new addition Sophie.
bobbyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2012, 09:32 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think you're being unreasonable at all. It could just be a case of the dealer trying to wring those last few hundred dollars out of the deal and they might cave if you threaten to walk. Then again your shopping process has to start all over if you do that.

You just need to decide if you're willing to walk away from it if they don't fix the items. Maybe a compromise of 50/50 split of the cost?

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:09 AM   #3
Ford Super Duty Owner
i would walk
either the deal ear wants your business or doesn't
if he doesn't there are a lot of dealers that do
if you decide to pay let me know i have some ocean front lots in arizona i am trying to unload
they said they would fix the problems you said you would pay their price
good luck
just liven life in east tn or where ever our
2011 georgetown ,2012 explorer and 02 tbird take us
tncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:51 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

I believe I would walk away. I was in business for 42 years and the code of ethics I operated with seem to be a lot different than what I see some RV dealers operating with. I have learned the hard way it is almost always best to have all agreements written black on white.

Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:58 PM   #5
He may be too far into the deal to walk. He says he " purchased" not looking to purchase
Clanton24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:31 PM   #6
iRV2 No Limits Club
If the repairs were part of the written contract then it's up to the dealer to make them at no add'l cost. If the contract was "as is" and all the OP has is a verbal agreement to fix the problems, he's out of luck.
ALWAYS get things in writing! A verbal agreement is as good as the paper it's written on.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:25 PM   #7
Freightliner Owners Club
Whatever you decide, let us know.
We went thru almost the same drill.
Camping World, Greenwood, i don't care to name them.
Backup camera, kept watching the right side, would switch to rear view when you put into reverse. They insisted it was a "user programmable" thing, I could change it at my liesure.
The KVH was as yours, set to Dish, I needed Direct. They said a call to the company would result in an "over the phone" fix.
Right...you bet...
The backup, required a full replace, Jensen, almost $500 from jensen, found it on line for Four, same unit, new in box, now works fine, they would not participate.
KVH, had to meet a techniclan in Dayton, Ohio, he spent just short of 3 hours, and $195 to reprogram, then I got the power supply story too. I bought the thing, around $125, and, have yet to put it in. I'll get around to it one day. CW declined to participate in that also.
I gave their asking price, traded in a paid off unit, which they promptly sold the next week, and, I am glad, it was good, BUT, they had verbally agreed to "fix", and didn't.
I know, "verbally" is just that.
We are pleased with the unit, but, really disappointed that a nationwide dealer will still treat the customer base in such an underhanded way.
I know....I'm over it, just conversation...
Do what you feel is right, don't look back...enjoy the unit, if it the one you want.
Back to a 5'er after 4 yrs fulltime.
Pulling with a '14 2500 ram, 6.4 Hemi.
Montana High Country 31RE
free-to-roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:33 PM   #8
Solo Rvers Club
People sometimes make honest mistakes, but my vote is, NEVER do business with a dealer that acts "in bad faith", whether or not in writing. 'Cause if you do you will some day get seriously screwed. Just my humble opinion....
'07 Itasca 35L/W22 FULL-TIMING
1000 Trails - VFW - 5 Yrs Army
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:51 PM   #9
The verbal contract is a contract. Its as good as the word of the dealer.
What you are experiencing is the dealer sleaze phenomena of "lets see if he'll pay." At some point a dealer like this will screw you, period, and at some point most sleaze dealers will make good on a promise if pressed. You just don't know where you are vs this dealer yet.
its up to you and your aggravation threshold. Obviously this is a dealer that you shouldn't deal with on anything further, and who isn't interested in your business for service going forward. It may also be a service outfit you cannot trust. If it turns out the dealer won't make good, i'd have the work done elsewhere. If an outfit won't stand behind the sale, why would they stand behind their service work?
Suppose for example, its not the monitor but a bad connection at the camera, or maybe the camera itself, or maybe the 12v feed, or the ground. You paid for a new monitor. Now you get to pay for the real problem. Or maybe they also tell you the camera is bad, which you pay to replace. And then the still existing problem is supposed to be a bad coax connection. Where does bad service end? It ends when you take your issues to a reputable outfit.
Record your service reviews at RV Service Reviews.com for posterity.
And let us know how you do here as well, along w/who this dealer is.
Baja-tested '08 2-slide 36'
Alpine: The Ultimate DIY'er Project
EngineerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:27 PM   #10
When buying used vehicles it is ultimately up to the buyer to check everything out.When a Dealer states as is, that is when you have to say "let's go over this baby before we buy"and start looking and driving and testing.When items are found always get the agreed upon in writing and never never hand money over till all is well.If they say we will do it but we need to get the paper work started---start walking---
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:30 PM   #11
You say "I purchasd a 2009 Southwind 32vs last on March 30." If you mean by that statement you signed a sales agreement, I believe you are obligated to go through with the purchase even though you also say no money has changed hands. Furthermore, if the agreement you signed "as-is," then the dealer is not obligated to make any repairs.

As someone suggested, maybe he will agree to split the cost 50-50 as a goodwill gesture.

If, on the other hand, you haven't signed anything, I would walk run away from the deal.
2015 DRV Tradition 375KPS
2015 Chevy Duramax 3500HD LTZ Dually
Full-timers...Home is where we park it.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:24 AM   #12
Monaco Owners Club
Purchased a used coach, and found problems on the frrst trip. Salesman had told me unit would be checked by thier service department, and all repairs done before money chaged hands. After finding problems, I went back to the dealer. I was told things would be taken care of. Delivered RV to dealer, 3 weeks later I recieved notice it was completed, arrived the next day to retrive coach at 11:30. Mechanic was working on my coach, At 3:00 I was informed it was completed. 2 of the 4 items were repaired.
I consider myself lucky to have half the problems repaired.
I won't be visiting that dealer again, or recomending him to friends.
Bottom line, CHECK EVERYTHING before purchase, and get any loose ends on paper.
By the way, we love or coach.just a bad taste for the dealer in XXXXXX.
vettehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:13 PM   #13
The real issue, from a legal standpoint, is whether or not the "deficiency items" were either: (1) made part of the contract of sale, or (2) signed by a representative of the delaership, acknowledging their responsibility and intention to replace/repair or otherwise make you whole.

If neither of those instances exist, you basically have an "as-is" contract to purchase a used motorhome, and any warranty, if one exists, is limited to what the dealership states in writing.

While the dealership may be disreputable, and while you can probably threaten to "bad-mouth" them, etc. that may be the limit of your power.

That is why I always tell people to do a complete pre-delievry inspection (PDI) using your own forms, note any deficiencies and/or systems that were not able to be inspected, and make them part of the terms of sale. When I bought my 2005 Allegro Bus used in 2007, the dealer was not able to demonstrate either the Kingdome or the front 42"TV. Those deficiencies were noted in the contract, and it cost the dealership (in retail cost terms, not their cost) $900 to repair the Kingdome and $1,100 to replace the front 42" TV.

For future reference, I will gladly supply a PDI form that I have used on my last three motorhome purchases to anyone who sends me an email, as long as they agree not to distribute it.
Dassman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:51 PM   #14
Just to clear things up....I purchased the unit and all money was paid. It was a cash deal with trade in. The deficient items were noted on work orders and scheduled for repairs the following Friday. There was also a work order to reprogram the satellite from dish to Direct Tv. All items that needed to be repaired were noted by me on the contract and the work orders.

The fact that parts were missing from the satellite system would have been unknow to me at the time of the sale. I didn't know the unit needed a separate power supply. The back up camera was noted on a work order for repair on return at a later date.

Needless to say I am aggravated but pleased with the outcome. Parts will have to be ordered for the satellite system, a new monitor for the back up camera, all of which will be covered by the dealer. I agreed to pay for the hookup to the rear television from the satellite. This cost was $150.00 parts and labor.

All of the other little nagging things were repaired at no charge.

Bottom line is all of the repairs were noted with exception of the missing satellite parts the day of the sale.

I guess all's well that ends well. The GM of the dealership finally after about 4 hours made the decision based on their own documentation that they had no choice but to make the repairs free of charge.

2006 Itasca Suncruiser 38T
Traveling with Westies, Max, Ellie and new addition Sophie.
bobbyl is offline   Reply With Quote