Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2016, 06:27 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Should I re level after leveling for slide extension

I have often wondered if I should re level after first leveling then putting slides out. I am heavy on one side (3 slides) and have a lean to that side.

Thanks Gene

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2016, 07:22 PM   #2

I'm sure you'll hear many opinions. I make adjustments after putting the slides out - typically I find the driver's side is low once the two slides on that side are deployed. We full-time and I've been doing it for three years with no ill effects.

Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:41 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Absolutely, you can re-level as often as needed. If you are
on soft/wet ground you may have to do it more than once.
And, as you have noted, once the slides go out, it is not at
all unusual to need to re-level.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:33 AM   #4

This makes no sense to me. If you are level with jacks down (other than on soft ground) how can the MH change level regardless of weight shift? I don't see how it can. I agree it doesn't hurt anything if you want to relevel. But I don't see the logic of doing it.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 06:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
This makes no sense to me. If you are level with jacks down (other than on soft ground) how can the MH change level regardless of weight shift? I don't see how it can. I agree it doesn't hurt anything if you want to relevel. But I don't see the logic of doing it.
sbleiweiss
The "logic" to re-leveling is this:
If the coach is not level and you want it to be level you MUST re-level it to make it level.

What about that "makes no sense"?
Old 08-18-2016, 06:54 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
The motorhome jacks act as the fulcrum left to right. when the slide extends, the extra weight out on the fulcrum bears down and now you are off balance slightly. Think about see-saws or teeter-totter, whatever you called it. Same result as there is a lot of weight in the slides.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
sbleiweiss
The "logic" to re-leveling is this:
If the coach is not level and you want it to be level you MUST re-level it to make it level.

What about that "makes no sense"?
Well said!
Old 08-18-2016, 09:32 AM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
This thread caught my eye because I was looking through my HR Vacationer Owner's book and it states to extend the Slide-outs prior to leveling but the Lippert slide-out 'owners' book states to level first. I asked Monaco and they reaffirmed extending the slide-outs first was their recommendation because leveling first may induce a twist in the coach.

They preferred having the coach resting on the chassis suspension when extending slide-outs.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:49 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The motorhome jacks act as the fulcrum left to right. when the slide extends, the extra weight out on the fulcrum bears down and now you are off balance slightly.
Sorry, but I don't buy that. A teeter-totter has a single balance point, designed to let it tilt as weight shifts even a little. A RV leveling system has 3 or 4 legs, so for it to tilt it actually has to lift one side off the legs on the other side. With enough weight far enough out, I guess that could happen, but an extra thousand pounds a foot or so away shouldn't be enough to effect it. It certainly hasn't in any coach we've owned.

Soft ground, though, is fairly often a problem. With our 33k lb coach, even seemingly firm ground sometimes settles after a day or two. I tune up the level as needed.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:59 AM   #10

Gary answered for me. With four points down any weight shift sufficient to tip the motor home would literly risk tipping it over. If the ground is solid, I don't see how running slides out can change the level. Yes, if the MH was not level from the start you might want to relevel, but that was not the question asked.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:10 AM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ground or earthen surfaces CAN settle, hence; the coach settles and moves a little out of level.

Concrete and asphalt, not so much.
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:55 AM   #12

I do the opposite of my HR Endeavor manual , level first then put slides out. If i need to make minor adjustment i just do it. Why run out your slides if one side of the coach is not level ? That's how things get broken. JMHO
Cheers
Old 08-19-2016, 09:13 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneandea View Post
I have often wondered if I should re level after first leveling then putting slides out. I am heavy on one side (3 slides) and have a lean to that side.

Thanks Gene
I have a 38P also and on a couple of occasions did not have the passenger slide out for a one night stand. I put the jacks down and level out prior to moving the slides. With the two driver sides out, couch, wraparound dinette, refer, king bed going out that side with the passenger slide in I do experience some off level to the driver side.
Something not mentioned here, on a Gas coach the suspension is going to contribute to a lift on the light side and a dip on the heavy side, so long as the wheels are touching the ground. Think teeter totter. Not a big deal but it is present.

I have never owned an air suspension coach but I doubt there is any suspension interplay.
Old 08-19-2016, 09:18 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDER FAN View Post
I do the opposite of my HR Endeavor manual , level first then put slides out. If i need to make minor adjustment i just do it. Why run out your slides if one side of the coach is not level ? That's how things get broken. JMHO
Cheers
RIDER FAN
IMO doing the opposite of what your owner's manual recommends is "how things get broken".
(However you are entitled to your opinion).
Mel
'96 Safari

Tags
leveling, slide