Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2013, 05:52 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
7 miles - I'd go look as a learning experience if you can stand-up to the salesmen - but not buy.
Delam on the side is an issue - plywood and wood frame under it is probably coming apart.
Price is too high.

tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2013, 06:52 PM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Keep looking, that delamination is a ood sign of water damage. Could have rotting issues once the wall is removed. Looks like it could be an expensive fix.

Bob
Capt USMC(Ret)
2003 Damon Challenger

Old 01-24-2013, 07:04 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcarlson
That's exactly what I needed to hear. I know how to buy a car (what to look for, what questions to ask, etc) but I know nothing about buying an RV. That's why I ask the pros that have been there done that!!

Thanks a ton guys!!
Got a feeling you would know everything about an RV by the time you got this where you wanted it. How to to buy, how to fix and the price of everything. And just about the time you were having fun you'd meet a gremlin. Things go wrong and bump in the night with brand new uns. It may take a while but there are some cream puffs that come up from time to time. Keep adding pennies to the cookie jar while you look. My hunt took about 8 months. You will more than likely know it when you see it. Kind a like love at first sight.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:22 PM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
The first time I went to a dealers lot to look at RVs, I was absolutely appalled! Water damage, HUGE rust piles under the RV from badly rusted frames (one, I poked a hole in the frame with my pin ), mismatched tires, missing parts, etc, etc.. Finally settled on a '89 Gulfstream Vista Hi-Rise (avatar) for $2000.. It had a roof leak at one time, but EVERY thing else was good. The frame is better than most 'new on the lot' RVs I seen. And, unlike the one you were looking at, it has pretty much full basement storage..

So, keep looking and make some trips to inspect and learn.. you'll eventually find one at a good price with work you can live with doing..
Old 01-26-2013, 08:17 AM   #19

I have just begun my search and really I wouldn't even call it a proper search. I'm still in the "Doing my homework" stage, just trying to get an idea of what's out there. I won't even be serious about buying until later this year and I know there will be plenty of "the one that got away", but I need to be 100% certain before I drop the pesos.

I wanted to know if this one was too far gone to even consider and it sounds from the voices of experience that it is.

That's what makes this forum and the people on here so great. I'm getting good advice from people who have been there done that and that's what I need since I know nothing about buying except hand over the money and take it home.

Thanks a ton guys!!
Old 01-26-2013, 09:40 AM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Even though you are not buying till later in the year, you really should begin to look at some in person now. Just pick one or two to go look at on the weekend. Talk to owners. Poke around. Learn. You'll be much better off in the long run.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:59 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcarlson View Post
I'm pretty handy and mechanical - neither by trade, just years of doing guy stuff. I prefer to fix things myself, but there are some things that are better left to the pros.

As I said I have not yet seen it. I was just wondering if I should invest my time or keep looking. I've seen a few others i like on CL, but they're older (80's circa) and 100+ miles away. This one is 7 miles north.

Thanks
I bought my 30' mobile traveler class A with 26660 miles on it .Outside had no damage ,inside just need carpeting.slightly dirty but old.Everything works minor water leak from front cap and front running lights .I fixed ,good tires and gen.air cond with heater.$3750.We have been fulltiming for four months now and the few repairs were done by me.U-joints ,leaky hot water line,leaky sink drain.I replaced the dining area table and seats with two storage cabinets and made a table in between them for about $50 ,removed the couch and put in two upholstered chairs for another $25 from the habitat for humanity.Now we have more room.I would keep looking .There are some good buys out there
Old 01-26-2013, 07:00 PM   #22

Country Coach Owners Club
No advice on that coach but check this out. Also plug in what you're looking for on oodle.com you's be surprized at what's out there. If you haven't done it already you might want to go to rv.org and invest in their product.

2000 COUNTRY COACH - National Multi List,The Largest Database of Used Recreational Vehicles,Boats,Pre-Owned Homes,Properties.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:24 PM   #23

one of the great things about the forums is you can learn what to look for and problems others are having. gives you clues what to look for when you go shopping and problem areas to investigate. so many people with different backgrounds and knowledge. cheers to the forum and all the great folks.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:48 PM   #24

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I bought a 1996 HR--so far so good--I expect to spend some money---and thats OK--but this one seems to have too much water damage--and who knows what else--my limited experience says--Keep looking---Vince
Old 01-27-2013, 08:05 AM   #25
AGP

Monaco Owners Club
Can of worms,pass on this one.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:27 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
It took us 6 months to find the right coach in our budget. No water damage or mold is a must. We looked at 50 of them I bet. Don't be in a rush. You will find one in nice shape in any budget. Enjoy the search. You will gain a lot of knowledge in the mean time.
Rick
Old 01-29-2013, 06:42 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
jcarlson

Need to keep looking. Eventually you will run across one that you know is a good buy with the knowledge that you will gain as you look at different coaches. Just my $.02
Old 02-08-2013, 08:46 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomaso View Post
I had to expand my search out to about 180 miles to find mine - spent a few weekends on the road looking at RV's.

Keep looking. It might take a while but after you look at 12 or more units the right one to buy will be obvious.