Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2013, 05:52 PM   #1

Should I stay away from this one?

This rig is in my price range ($6995) and I like the fllor plan. I have not seen it in person but would like to. However, it has some water issues. Take a few minutes and watch the video and give me your thoughts.

BTW - I'm looking for a starter rig, not a huge investment, and I'm fully aware it's a used rig and do not expect perfection. is this worth looking into for the price or is this a can of worms?

1989 Fleetwood Flair Class A RV Motorhome - YouTube

Thanks
Jim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2013, 07:03 PM   #2

Look at it and check water issues. Seems that back wall and drivers side has the water problems. I would drive it and check out transmission too. If there is any rot I would keep looking. Looks like it was reasonably well cared for but I bet it was stored uncovered. Half the fun is the hunt. Best of luck. This is a great site with many wise members!

Old 01-23-2013, 07:11 PM   #3

Does the A/C, fridge, and furnace work? How much time are you willing to put into the MH and how handy are you? What are the age of the tires? They should be replaced at 5 to 6 years regardless of wear. Does all the plumbing work?
The water leaks can be fixed but I'd find out more info on how to fix the side delamination.
If you enjoy working on these type or projects and are willing to put a little more mony into it ... Go for it. Remember though, take what you think it might cost to repair everything and then double it.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:26 PM   #4

I just got my 1st rig for $5500 - it's in the shop now for a new head gasket and radiator re-workings - here's what I recommend from a newbie to a soon-to-be:

1. Get that water damage checked out until you can ID the source. The host seems to know just a little about RV's - enough to sell to the eager. Bring an inspector if you can along with you to get it checked out.

2. The first thing you should do when you see it is climb up top and check the roof - I didn't see that in the movie. Bonus points if you go to see it in the rain and can safely climb the ladder to look at the roof and go inside to find that leak.

3. Regardless of which used one you get - keep it close to home for about a week for a "shakedown" process so you can find every little thing wrong the previous owner or dealer forgot to mention or didn't know - I found a few things that were easily corrected but would have cost a ton if left unchecked.

4. Definitely be prepared for repair costs - tires, roof and engine I won't compromise on. Everything else can be ad-hoc replaced by a trip to the thrift store (electric skillet is on hand if my oven breaks down)

5. If I saw mold in an RV I was looking at - that was a deal breaker unless the seller would pay to have it removed.
Tomaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:29 PM   #5

I'm pretty handy and mechanical - neither by trade, just years of doing guy stuff. I prefer to fix things myself, but there are some things that are better left to the pros.

As I said I have not yet seen it. I was just wondering if I should invest my time or keep looking. I've seen a few others i like on CL, but they're older (80's circa) and 100+ miles away. This one is 7 miles north.

Thanks
Old 01-23-2013, 07:32 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
The water damage in the back starts much higher than the license plate. The de-lamination and water damage on the right side might have been the cause of the damage to the panel under the fridge. Inspect for rot and mold and decide if you can deal with it yourself. Check the engine for cracked or leaking manifolds, rusted exhaust, leaks, etc. While the sales price might be cheap, a set of tires can put you back $2000 or more. I also noticed that almost every window had shrinking exterior molding, pulling away from each corner. This could add to leak issues.

Inspect and have all appliances and systems demonstrated. If everything checks out, you should be able to get it for at least 20% under asking price. Don't love something that can't love you back, and be prepared to have to spend almost half the purchase price on repairs in a rig this old.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:32 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
You can find '89 RVs with some water damage in the $1500-3000 range.. $6000 plus for an '89 would be with NO obvious water damage.

Keep looking.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:37 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Flair was the bottom entry level from Fleetwood. The problem with the water damage and delamination is you do not know the extent of the damage within the wall. The Flairs had a steel wall frame construction, I believe. So the side wall could be rusted internally pretty badly.

Fleetwood had a lot of problems with delamination in the late 1980's and the early 1990's.

Looking at the age, you might be looking at some major repairs....frig, $1200 (new), A/C - $800.00, transmission rebuilt - $3000, brake - $500....etc.

Personally, It is not worth more than $3000 in the shape it is in.

Ken
Old 01-23-2013, 07:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcarlson View Post
I'm pretty handy and mechanical - neither by trade, just years of doing guy stuff. I prefer to fix things myself, but there are some things that are better left to the pros.

As I said I have not yet seen it. I was just wondering if I should invest my time or keep looking. I've seen a few others i like on CL, but they're older (80's circa) and 100+ miles away. This one is 7 miles north.

Thanks

I had to expand my search out to about 180 miles to find mine - spent a few weekends on the road looking at RV's.
Tomaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:33 PM   #10

I did not hear the words " everything works" water damage in as many places as shows, I would not be interested in aat all. If you noticed when he opened the door containing the jacks he pushed up on the floor from the bottom and it appeared to be rotted. With the water damage and the delamination I would pass. The price is way out of line for a motor home in this condition.
JMO
Old 01-23-2013, 08:49 PM   #11

looks like a money pit. does that come certified for that price. might need steering components, exhaust, tires, propane certification ect. dont know the laws in your area but not certified for the road by a dealership usually means trouble. beware of the words, "YOU CERTIFY AND SAVE". means not worth the money to them to fix. look for an older couple who have taken good care of their unit and are looking to upgrade. thats my advice.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:53 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
24 year old can of worms, in bad condition on the surface, one
can only imagine whats not visible.
pass.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:18 PM   #13

That's exactly what I needed to hear. I know how to buy a car (what to look for, what questions to ask, etc) but I know nothing about buying an RV. That's why I ask the pros that have been there done that!!

Thanks a ton guys!!
Old 01-24-2013, 05:07 PM   #14

Rexhall Owners Group
They are asking to many $$$$$. To many unknowns. Water damage, delamination can go deep.

Martin