Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2015, 07:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffHope View Post
I currently have an Allegro 35 foot gasser . . . However, I am paranoid about exceeding the 35' threshold because don't want to get shut out of state parks and beaches for camping/glamping.
We went from a 34-foot gasser to a 41-foot DP. No big deal, except the drive was a lot better.

As far as State and Federal parks, not to worry . . . about 48% of the sites in State Parks and 52% of the sites in Federal Parks are at least 40 feet.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2015, 07:38 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Only you really know how tight some of your favorite places are with our current MH. If you are not full time or really long extended time then those of us with longer coaches for our FT needs probably are not the best to listen to when we extol the virtues of longer lengths.

In general I would think:
  • A DP of the same length of your gasser will probably have more basement storage so that is a plus.
  • It will also probably have a better cut angle on the steering so you can maneuver in tighter places. That might help you go a couple feet longer and still get into some of your tight spaces you use now.
  • It will be heavier so if you like to go into areas with softer ground you might keep that in mind. However, being heavier you will like the road characteristics better.
  • Along with that you will get a longer wheel base and shorter overhang. IMHO, that also makes maneuvering easy. I can get my 43' DP into places I couldn't get my 39' gasser.
  • You will also probably find that a DP might have a bit more water and waste tank volume.
  • I think you will also find DP house batteries tend to be at least a bit larger than gassers in in some case significantly so.

I suggest you take your current gasser to a large parking lot and set up some cones about 10' wide and maybe 40' long. Have someone spot you and see how far away and to the side from the front set of cones you have to be to make the hard cut to back in between them with out hitting the front ones. Try to find the sweet spot of distance from the cone and tail past the sides. As an example you might find that if you are 20'-30' from the entry and the tail is 10'-15' past the side that you can crank it in to the parking spot with out overshooting.

Then go to a dealer and test drive a DP and do the same exercise. That should tell you a lot about the maneuverability you get with a longer wheel base, bigger steer cut and shorter overhang. I think you will be surprised.

As I said, you may find that a couple extra feet on a DP will not be a big deal.

GOOD LUCK!
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:37 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Coastal Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
I live in Florida and had a 36' gasser traded it in for a 40' DP. have not had any trouble parking it. The ride you will find can't compair with the gasser. It is so much better and much more stable than in my gasser. I would never go back to a gasser. We have two wheel chair boys so the extra room helps a lot. I wouldn't let the extra size consern you just find something that fit your need and likes and get that one. Happy trails
John424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:36 PM   #18

We got a Newmar Kountry Star 3910 at 39'10". I have no problems in state parks in Florida. Love the extra space!!!

Rickmc & Moski
2008 Newmar Kountry Star 3910, Caramel, Cummins 400 HP ISL

2021 Newmar Baystar 3226
rickmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:16 PM   #19

Thanks for the encouragement everyone! I'll have to do some recon on some of the places I go and see if I would get shut out with a bigger rig. Sounds like it hasn't been much of a problem for most of you.

2014 Tiffin 35QBH
JeffHope is offline   Reply With Quote