Only you really know how tight some of your favorite places are with our current MH. If you are not full time or really long extended time then those of us with longer coaches for our FT needs probably are not the best to listen to when we extol the virtues of longer lengths.
In general I would think:
- A DP of the same length of your gasser will probably have more basement storage so that is a plus.
- It will also probably have a better cut angle on the steering so you can maneuver in tighter places. That might help you go a couple feet longer and still get into some of your tight spaces you use now.
- It will be heavier so if you like to go into areas with softer ground you might keep that in mind. However, being heavier you will like the road characteristics better.
- Along with that you will get a longer wheel base and shorter overhang. IMHO, that also makes maneuvering easy. I can get my 43' DP into places I couldn't get my 39' gasser.
- You will also probably find that a DP might have a bit more water and waste tank volume.
- I think you will also find DP house batteries tend to be at least a bit larger than gassers in in some case significantly so.
I suggest you take your current gasser to a large parking lot and set up some cones about 10' wide and maybe 40' long. Have someone spot you and see how far away and to the side from the front set of cones you have to be to make the hard cut to back in between them with out hitting the front ones. Try to find the sweet spot of distance from the cone and tail past the sides. As an example you might find that if you are 20'-30' from the entry and the tail is 10'-15' past the side that you can crank it in to the parking spot with out overshooting.
Then go to a dealer and test drive a DP and do the same exercise. That should tell you a lot about the maneuverability you get with a longer wheel base, bigger steer cut and shorter overhang. I think you will be surprised.
As I said, you may find that a couple extra feet on a DP will not be a big deal.
Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Gardian Wings earned are GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 DSDP 4320, Spartan MM IFS, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1, Samsung 197R Refer.