Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2015, 11:02 PM   #1

Should I stay under 35'?

I currently have an Allegro 35 foot gasser and am seriously considering an upgrade to a DP for the improved ride, etc. However, I am paranoid about exceeding the 35' threshold because don't want to get shut out of state parks and beaches for camping/glamping. I'm considering some of the "mini" DPs but want I really want to know is if my fear is reasonable or not. Will I be relegated to RV parks and toads for access?? What changed for you when you went >35'?
JeffHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2015, 11:50 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
We bought the allegro Red 33aa diesel for the same reason, it's actually 35ft. I love the length, it has all the comforts we need including a king bed, and room for 3 more people if you include the padded dinette making in to a smaller bed, plus the full bed made out from the couch. We get 10mpg for the last 4,000 mi.

So you can buy a diesel that fits in most state parks. There are a few California beaches that limit to 27 ft. And a few people claim they let you in anyway in most cases. But the crowds in California can limit your selection.

We previously had an itasca diesel 25ft.Mercedes, a great small camper that is keenly built to maximize small. After two years, we decided we wanted more comfort and room for family. We actually got tired of banging our heads on everything, lack of storage, and an uncomfortable bed.

The itasca was great for dry camping and using it for the day travel car. I do miss that. It was easier to travel on tight curves, and we were a little braver on difficult roads.

If you are young and not too tall, the smaller 16mpg MH is great for maneuvering just about anywhere. So far our larger Tiffin is a big step up to comfort travel. I am happy with it all. The upgrades are worth the few challenges in state parks. In February we had a camp area in yosemite all to ourself, no prob with size. You do have to plan a little better than with a small one as you generally have less spaces to choose from.
480w Go Power solar
PeaceOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:02 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We went from 25' to 36' and we have no problems staying at State Parks. We love having a bedroom and the ROOM! Get what you want and you will enjoy it.
austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:12 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by austx View Post
Get what you want and you will enjoy it.
Words of wisdom here.

Don't over think the whole state park size thing. We are 42 ft and fit in the tightest of California state parks on the beach. Find the floor plan/caoch you like, you can always find a place to park it.

Good luck!
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:01 AM   #5

My advice would be to get the largest one you can afford comfortably. In 5yrs. of fulltiming we've never been turned away.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:01 AM   #6

We have a 35' coach now and while planning a trip from IN to WA & OR, I have run across a few CGs in parks that can't accommodate us. One thing to watch is the interior roads for tight turns, overhanging trees & rocks/boulders/trees that are close to the road.

Not everyone needs a 42' coach so get what you feel would give you the creature features you want in the length that gives you the most options for camping sites. Check some of the campgrounds in parks you'd like to visit on reserveamerica.com. Plug in various lengths and see how many sites are available. Towing hasn't been a problem for us. Most parks will have a place to unhook before entering the actual campground. One just needs to remember to do that!

There are private CGs near most of the Nat. Parks that can accommodate most lengths.
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:21 AM   #7

It's really about where you like to camp. We don't RV park much. Mostly open camping in the desert where there is no issue with length but also in the summer we camp in a lot of national forest campgrounds. That's where we run into the length limitations and why we bought a 33' coach to replace the 33' we had for fifteen years. A lot of the places we go it's a squeeze for a 33' so we didn't want to go any longer. We are not currently or ever intend to be full timers but expect to take some extended trips once retired. Nothing wrong with full timing just not my thing. I like my s&b workshop
Old 05-12-2015, 11:08 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffHope View Post
I currently have an Allegro 35 foot gasser and am seriously considering an upgrade to a DP for the improved ride, etc. However, I am paranoid about exceeding the 35' threshold because don't want to get shut out of state parks and beaches for camping/glamping. I'm considering some of the "mini" DPs but want I really want to know is if my fear is reasonable or not. Will I be relegated to RV parks and toads for access?? What changed for you when you went >35'?

If you're going to a DP, then go to a 40'. You won't regret it!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:17 AM   #9

Having recently shopped at length for a <35' DP, I can say that there are a lot more used +/- 40' units on the used market, than the shorter DPs. For a buyer, I interpret that to mean more choices because of the greater number of longer units available. (I do not think the greater number of longer units for sale means folks don't like the longer units, only that less short DP were sold in the first instance, so less available in the resale market.)
Coulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:34 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Get the MH that suits your needs. Don't worry about state parks. In 5 yrs with my 43' I have rarely found it's length to be a factor.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:39 AM   #11

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffHope View Post
Don't see the problem and the only reason for not going over 40ft, would be if you didn't want a tag axle.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:21 PM   #12

what was your experience with 35' gasser, national/state parks? Its not going to be different with a 35' DP...
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:52 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
If you're going to a DP, then go to a 40'. You won't regret it!

+1 ....!
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:00 PM   #14

I can tell you definitely there are CGs in WV, VA and FL where many if not all spaces are too small for my 38' FW.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote