RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2019, 04:45 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
I just winterized my coach. Took 7 gallons but I have a clothes washer and a dishwasher. I also like to be certain so like others have said, better safe than sorry and if I spend an extra $4-$8 on extra antifreeze, it's better than hunting for the break in the line that a freeze caused. Especially since some of the pipes run under floors or behind cabinets and are extremely tough to get to. I have an ice maker in my Norcold fridge and a water dispenser on the front of it. I run it through the water dispenser but to this day have never been able to figure out how to run it through the ice maker. So far it's never been an issue. My issue is getting the awful taste out of the system in the Spring, which I have also never been able to do so we drink bottled water.

Just make sure you double check everything and don't forget the shore water point...you gotta push the plunger in and get antifreeze out of there as well.

Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2019, 08:13 AM   #30

I bought 6 gallons and used 4.5 so I could see myself going out to the RV in early January and running some of the leftover through the system for some peace of mind.

RonRV.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 08:25 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deucenut View Post
I just winterized my coach. Took 7 gallons but I have a clothes washer and a dishwasher. I also like to be certain so like others have said, better safe than sorry and if I spend an extra $4-$8 on extra antifreeze, it's better than hunting for the break in the line that a freeze caused. Especially since some of the pipes run under floors or behind cabinets and are extremely tough to get to. I have an ice maker in my Norcold fridge and a water dispenser on the front of it. I run it through the water dispenser but to this day have never been able to figure out how to run it through the ice maker. So far it's never been an issue. My issue is getting the awful taste out of the system in the Spring, which I have also never been able to do so we drink bottled water.

Just make sure you double check everything and don't forget the shore water point...you gotta push the plunger in and get antifreeze out of there as well.
Best and safest way to get rid of the taste is 3% peroxide

Dump about 1/2 bottle in the fresh tank with the fresh tank at about 14/4 full

Run water through the kitchen and bath faucets, you should see foaming
Old 10-30-2019, 09:57 AM   #32

It hasn't been said yet so I'll mention it. We stopped winterizing our coach 14 years ago. We learned that if we just head south when the temps drop, there is no need to winterize. Then don't return until the weatherman says it's ok to head north. This method has worked well for us and there is no mess. .....Sorry, just couldn't resist.
Crasher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 12:11 PM   #33

It's not a bad idea to go back over in your mind, or develop a checklist, to be certain everything is protected. If in doubt, check it out.

I've replaced a few items over the years, including a toilet flush valve, simply because I missed it. Outside shower is another one. I was lucky that we had a mild winter that year. It's easy to do.

Steve

1994 30' Monaco Dynasty, 5.9 230 HP Cummins, MD 3060, 1992 Geo Tracker.
dix39 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter, winterize