Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-09-2015, 04:10 PM   #1
Should my black water tank have a hole?

Hi everyone,

My wife and I just purchased a 2002 Coachman Mirada to get back into RVing. I am in the process of checking the systems and fixing all the little broken parts. I just noticed a three inch hole melted in the bottom of my black water tank. I also noticed that there seems to be old dried, well you know, coming from it. It is near the bottom of the tank and the tank holds water. I have only filled it with about five gallons but no leak and the slide valve releases the waste like it should. I stuck a stick in there and it hits something like another bottom in the tank about an inch and a half above the outside bottom. Has anyone seen this before? Is it normal? Should I just seal the hole?

Thanks for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01667.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	255.1 KB
ID:	96764  

billncari is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2015, 04:25 PM   #2
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Looks like you need a new tank. That can't be good. You should have a discharge port, and intake port, and if a equipped an entry area for your rinse unit. The last would be an vent connection. That does not look like any of them.

2001 Itasca Horizon 36LD Cat
Retired Air Force, One lovely Angel, 2 Cats and three birds.
the_vfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 04:25 PM   #3
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Is your shower located above that tank? It might be an integrated overflow pan for the shower to drain into in the event that the ptrap or drain leaks.
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:32 PM   #4
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would keep adding water until it comes out at the hole or the tank is full. If it fills up without running out the hole, I would not worry about it. If it starts pouring out the hole, I would patch it. Changing the black water tank is not a fun job. You have to find the right tank. get it ordered. To install it you have three openings. The in opening at the toilet. T he vent opening and the outlet. Repairing is the best way to go. This is from someone who has done both.
1998 Pace Arrow 35 ft. F53 Ford V10 2012 Honda Civic toad
15 year motorhome service manager. 3 popups....2 travel trailers....5 motorhomes....loved them all.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:48 PM   #5
Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
the tank is a will fit, it is used in many applications the hole you see is for another application.

plug it
Paul & Megan 2007 Neptune XL 36 PDQ REK Bilsteins, KarKaddy,mini cooper, W/ Bear and Sedona
Pds47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:07 PM   #6
Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
Maybee that hole use to be the old "exit" for the tank and for some reason, it was repositioned where it is now. If it does not leak, just leave it alone.
normandlegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:47 PM   #7
I think Beachdude may be on to something. It does look like a two part tank, and that hole is meant to be there. Like others said fill your black tank full of water, and see if it leaks. Don't go fixing a problem before you know it is one.
Mike & Charlotte
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610
Orange County, California
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:29 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to irv2.
This link should help you out, you can input what you need to know and get many pictures and diagrams.
Looks like its your black tank as your describe the waste from it, dropped fitting maybe for some other MFG use different model coach.
I would clean up the fitting and glue a cap using PCP pipe fitting cement just to ease your mine in future use of your black tank use.
This link will help you get around the forums, enjoy your stay.
98KSCA, 99MACA, 03 KSCA-3740- 8.1 Chev-- ALLISON Trans, now in good hands
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 04:42 AM   #9
thanks for the info

Thank you all for the ideas. I can't see how this could be something wrong with the tank. This hole looks like it had to be melted through before the tank was sealed together. I am going to fill the tanks with water so they are totally full and see what happens. I will add something to color the water in the black tank so I can tell where the water comes from. I was thinking that it was some kind of overflow I didn't know that even existed. If that is it I will plumb it to empty on the ground not the bay of the RV. I am used to the shower backing up into the tub if you forgot to get rid of the water. This new RV has a shower pan so you could use the sink and the water would overflow from the shower drain to the floor pretty quickly. I washed the crud from the hole I thought it was toilet waste but it could have been old grease and stuff from an overflow. I'll see what happens and update this soon. Thanks again for your help.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:06 PM   #10
Problem solved

The previous owners tried to add heaters to the tanks and melted the tank in the process. They used pipe heaters and just glued them to the tanks. I ended up heating the edges of the hole so they were flat then I cut a piece of plastic larger than the hole, drilled holes around the edge, threaded the tank holes and sealed the edge with calking and used 3/8" nylon bolts to hold the patch in place. It fixed the problem. Thanks again for the information.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:49 PM   #11
That's exactly what I would have done. It's just a tank.. no pressure.

2013 Itasca Sunova 30A
2006 Crownline 250cr
2012 Ram Laramie Longhorn
Todd157k is offline   Reply With Quote

water, tank