Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2018, 08:35 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
You are the one confused sir. No pictures necessary. I'm an electrician and understand 6-volt in series batteries very well. [B]I was referring to your statement in you first post that you have 12-volt coach batteries and 6-volt coach batteries. This is causing a very confused thread. Also, the proper RV language is Chassis batteries and House batteries. If the word coach must be used it would be the HOUSE system but why confuse things? I feel sorry for another newbie trying to follow this thread with no understanding. Now I know you are working with 6-volt batteries. I see you have responded and may have figured out your problem. Good luck to you sir. Be sure and save some money for hearing aids in your future. You're gonna need them.
Thanks for the clarification.. I see what you are talking about now
Burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2018, 08:40 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
The OP is certainly free to do as he likes, but I don't understand the purpose of installing a 10K sound system in a motorhome unless you really love loud music and the intent is to always boondock away from other RVers. The RV parks we have been in are quiet places to relax and enjoy the experience. Most would not allow loud music, loud dogs or loud anything. Just wondering???
I am sure I don't see the point in many things that you do.
That doesn't make my fun stuff or your fun stuff any more or less valid.
I bought this RV to use one time per year. Burning Man..
There, it makes total sense and is in fact, received my more openly than would correctly assume it would be at a KOA or near a stream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
I guess you're not familiar with the Burning Man festival?
Many people are not.
Once they look it up, they are either intrigued or repulsed. Excited or judgmental. Very few middle ground people when it comes to the burn..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
I am thinking that Burner uses the beefy audio system while driving, not just while camping. That's why it's on the 12 volt side.
Sometimes, yes, but mostly it is for when we host parties at burning man when we want a break from the dust or heat, or when I am simply cleaning things out and clearing the clutter. Loud fast music is very motivating when it comes to chores!

We honestly never really play it that loud.

Quote:
I crank up my RV sound system when I am at the house parked. While working around the barn. That's why I live in the woods so my choices don't affect others. Just because you have the system that can, doesn't mean you have to crank it up and annoy neighbors. A 10 watt system can make a lot of noise, plenty enough to wake the neighbors if that's what the person turning the volume knob wants to do.
Quote:
Again, look up Burning Man festival.

He has stated in another post that he participates in the festival.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:09 AM   #31

Quote:
Again, look up Burning Man festival.

He has stated in another post that he participates in the festival.
OK, Done. It's not for me, but they seem to enjoy it. Different strokes. It's a good thing we all don't like the same thing.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 09:13 AM   #32

Burner, the existing "coach" or "engine" batteries would be fine for your audio system. There are three battery things: voltage (must be ~12 volts) and capacity. The capacity is both short term (ability to provide immediate high amperage draw for the high spikes required for the given volume of the music) and long term (ability for the sound system to keep operating without any charging of the battery). The existing batteries would have no problem with the short term. The long term capacity is a measure of how much draw vs. how much battery capacity.

If you are using the system while driving, then the alternator (in a Class-A) charges the batteries. If are camped / parked - then you will need to be on generator or plugged into a campsite power source for longer term use.

So, you may not require the expensive additional battery you put in the system.

And, I assume (without reading all the details and all of the posts) that you put the new 12 volt battery in parallel with the two 6 volt batteries (that are wired in series). This will "work", but the charging of the three batteries is then potentially compromised as it would be rare that the three then charge at the right rate that the three individually need.

Enjoy the system! and probably doesn't need to be said, but respect the environment in which you are parked (neighbors) and in "concert" with the flavor of the environment ("Burning Man" is different than a woodside quiet campground).
Old 09-29-2018, 04:35 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
Burner, the existing "coach" or "engine" batteries would be fine for your audio system. There are three battery things: voltage (must be ~12 volts) and capacity. The capacity is both short term (ability to provide immediate high amperage draw for the high spikes required for the given volume of the music) and long term (ability for the sound system to keep operating without any charging of the battery). The existing batteries would have no problem with the short term. The long term capacity is a measure of how much draw vs. how much battery capacity.

If you are using the system while driving, then the alternator (in a Class-A) charges the batteries. If are camped / parked - then you will need to be on generator or plugged into a campsite power source for longer term use.

So, you may not require the expensive additional battery you put in the system.

And, I assume (without reading all the details and all of the posts) that you put the new 12 volt battery in parallel with the two 6 volt batteries (that are wired in series). This will "work", but the charging of the three batteries is then potentially compromised as it would be rare that the three then charge at the right rate that the three individually need.

Enjoy the system! and probably doesn't need to be said, but respect the environment in which you are parked (neighbors) and in "concert" with the flavor of the environment ("Burning Man" is different than a woodside quiet campground).

Lot's of good info here.
Thanks so much.
We are looking for a new DP and are taking the audio system out soon so that we can sell it..
I'll save this post so we do right in the next build.

Tags
power, batteries, shore power