Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Should big rigs be required to have a TPMS?
Yes 21 24.71%
No 64 75.29%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2013, 07:54 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbones View Post
I believe sometimes regulations spur technology. For example TPMS is now mandated in light vehicles (cars, SUVs, vans, etc.) this has spurred the development of a new style of transmitter that may possibly be universal across all manufacturers as well as relatively inexpensive. It will be part of the tire itself and not have any of the issues surrounding the valve stem style currently in use. Every time a new tire is installed, you will automatically have a new transmitter. If and when this happens, current predictions are that the cost will be less than a couple of dollars increase in tire cost. If this eventually happens, I can see no valid reason not to have this technology.
I am 66 years old so I do not think I have time for this to develop :-)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2013, 09:02 PM   #44

Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have a good tire pressure gage and don't mind using it. I have tpms on my Silverado and I think it sucks that it wasn't an option. I wouldn't have it if it was.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:30 PM   #45

Okay. TPMS is required by law. There aint no $ to enforce it, but it will be the LAW!

Next new laws:
- automatic fire extinguishers for gennie, refer and motor.
- live cams in wet bays to monitor for spilled gray water.
- sensor/transmitters to monitor greenhouse emisions from tank vents.
- exhaust sensor/transmitters.

Will the creator of the internet be able to see this? Must at least be fodder for near-future campaign slogans.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:04 PM   #46
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckftboy View Post
I have a good tire pressure gage and don't mind using it. I have tpms on my Silverado and I think it sucks that it wasn't an option. I wouldn't have it if it was.
agree, already had to replace one on my 09.
huge waste of money. 50 bucks for what
Old 03-27-2013, 10:54 PM   #47

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Okay. TPMS is required by law. There aint no $ to enforce it, but it will be the LAW!
Enforcement isn't an issue at all. Manufacturers just install it in all cars, vans, pickups etc., as required by the regulation.

And I doubt that there are legal penalties if a customer chooses to rip it out!
Old 03-27-2013, 11:24 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Enforcement isn't an issue at all. Manufacturers just install it in all cars, vans, pickups etc., as required by the regulation.

And I doubt that there are legal penalties if a customer chooses to rip it out!
Now that I think about it, you are correct, Francesca. It will simply be a mandate on the manufacturers that retail customers will fund.

However, it may become part of vehicle inspections. Maybe at sobriety checkpoints? Naw!

And now that you have stated it, congress may include a "no ripping it out" clause.

I know. Let's all protest by ripping out our seatbelts!

But, after all, it will not even get to committee before I am done with driving.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:32 PM   #49

Vintage RV Owners Club
It's already a requirement- not by legislation, but by the NHTSA rulemaking. It's been in place for sometime now for new cars/vans/pickups.

I wouldn't worry too much about the reg being imposed on RV's- the feds don't even care enough about RV passenger safety to require simple rollover protection for the "seat belt" positions behind the cockpit!
Old 03-28-2013, 12:01 AM   #50

I deal with TPMS system every day and they are a 'pain in the back side'!!!!! I do not beleive that they are worth the cost/hassel for the vehicles that I deal with. There is NOT one standard for all makes and models of vehicles. I am a firm beleiver that as long as I take the time required to check out my vehicle each day, as I should, I do not want 'Big Government' telling me what to do. Even with a TPMS type system installed, the driver still need to react to what they system tells them. That is all big rigs need is something else to distrace the drivers.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:57 AM   #51

TPMS have been discussed on other threads on this and other WEB sites that go back several years and I have made an attempt to read a lot of these posts. From what I have read there is as much down side as up side to purchasing these devices. In a number of cases they have caused the very problem that they are designed to prevent so it would appear that the jury is still out on this technology. We are talking about an average of $400 dollars depending on the number of sensors plus the PITA to get them installed, some must have angled extenders, etc. besides the TPMS system to get them installed. In some cases these extenders will cause them to extend out beyond the rim which could be a break off hazard if you hit some road debris. I mentioned earlier that in one case this caused a deadly RV wreck when RV hit something and broke off the sensor causing rapid air loss.

I have factory installed TPMS on both of my cars and the only time they alert me is when the weather gets colder (low pressure) otherwise they run in the background and I do not think about them.

I will continue to do my tire maintenance and continue to read and evaluate these devices but they are not worth the cost at the current level of technology. At this point, my decision.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:02 AM   #52

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Legislation is expensive.
Implementation is expensive.
Enforcement is expensive, but seldom or poorly funded.
End of thread?
I applaud your attempts!
Old 03-28-2013, 07:30 AM   #53

Being in the auto industry I can offer a little insight to the pros and cons to this being mandated as it had been for passenger cars. For one the cost would not be very much as the manufacturers pay a fraction of what we pay because they are buying in bulk. Adding a tpms to a rig would most likely be around $100. So on an $80 to $200k rigs not significant.
Also this would only apply to new manufactured vehicles so as long s you keep what you have your free from having them mandated to you.
The problem with reliability its the FCC and their regulations on transmitting signal strength. In the US cars have one receiver that is capable of monitoring all 4 tire sensors because they are within 15ft but a rig that can have a trailer 53ft away the signal gets weak and distorted. Not to mention the interference you would start y to have from passing rigs using the same system sending a signal that far. In China the regulation is more stringent and the signal receivers have to be placed in the bumpers within about 2 ft of the wheel. But the results are better.
So personally I think its a good idea and will probably happen but some changes will need to happen before its a viable option.
They worked very well on my 2004 CTSV and on my 2011 vehicle and are very accurate so far.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:00 AM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I like having my TPMS on both my MH and car. As stated in a previous post I think they provide great supplemental information.

I wish it had been an option on my MH as the monitor would have been integrated into the dash.

As much as I like the system I don't want anyone telling me I have to have it.

Responsible drivers will continue to maintain their tires with or without it being mandatory.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:33 AM   #55

i started with a tire minder on my rv, and eventually bought 3 more for my 3 cars. recommended.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:47 AM   #56

This is a public safety issue in the purest sense: thousands of vehicles are damaged each year and lives put at risk by violent disintegration of tires on big rigs. They are a routine hazard on the roads, can be particularly dangerous for motorcycles and require the state to pay crews to go picking up the debris on the taxpayer's nickel. No, TPMS wouldn't entirely eliminate this problem, but it would go a long way towards that end. I have been just behind big rigs whose tires have exploded, been sprayed with debris from the blast, and was hella glad I was in my truck and not my bike when it happened. You cannot drive more than a mile on CA-99 between Fresno and the Grapevine without seeing some "alligator" remnants either on the road or just off to the side. So yeah, it is a problem and one that, if the technology exists and works satisfactorily, ought to be mandated.