Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2016, 06:55 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Shouldn't the slideout topper extend past the slide out?

My slide out toppers extend only about an inch at most past the slide out. It would seem to me that they should be a little further past to stop minor water infiltration. Soon I will need to replace toppers and was wondering if anyone has replaced with wider ones.
Thank you in advance for any input on this topic !

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2016, 07:49 PM   #2

Shouldn't the slideouttopper extend past the slide out?

Since the slide toppers are generally mounted on the outer surface of the slide (and considerably more than an inch) I assume you are talking about the front to rear length of the topper. I have wondered the same thing. The rain doesn't always come straight down and when it comes sideways the top of the slide does collect water. Not everyone has slide toppers and if the roof of the slight is adequately sealed you won't have a leak. But look out for the shower the first time you brake!!

firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:59 PM   #3

Assuming you're talking about the front/back dimension. The topper is attached to the slide. If you made it wider the extra fabric would not be rolled up properly with the rest of the fabric. If you're worried about the water on the roof of the slide when you go to bring in the slides, just lower the front jacks and the water will run off. If water is getting on your slide and coming into the coach then you need to replace the slide out gaskets.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:08 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
If you made it wider the extra fabric would not be rolled up properly with the rest of the fabric.
That makes no sense since the topper fabric is on a roller. Now, if the fabric extended 6" over the edge front to back then I could see that, but not for an inch or so.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Assuming you're talking about the front/back dimension. The topper is attached to the slide. If you made it wider the extra fabric would not be rolled up properly with the rest of the fabric. If you're worried about the water on the roof of the slide when you go to bring in the slides, just lower the front jacks and the water will run off. If water is getting on your slide and coming into the coach then you need to replace the slide out gaskets.

i have observed mine that the outer of the slide (away from the coach) is slightly lower than inner. when rain gets onto the top of slide, it will run out at either end of outer rim. my topper even has 3 holes made by cc (don't ask me why), water always gets under the topper. but it never gets inside.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:23 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Agree!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:26 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

To make the fabric wider, you probably also need a wider roller for it. Could be changed out to do that (within reason), and I wish the factories would do so, but I guess they want to save a few bucks. A couple more inches on either end would help some, I think.

However, the topper isn't supposed to keep water off the roof anyway, and would not be 100% effective even if wider. It's basically a debris screen, intended to keep sticks and leaves from getting under the slide seals. Water is supposed to be brushed off (but that's not 100% effective either). If it's been raining, we always pause bringing in the slide to let water drain off as much as possible. We also retract the jacks (front or rear) to get some tilt to assist.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:40 AM   #8

should'nt the slide topper extend out past the slide

Yes it should. The topper must be measured properly and will extend just an inch or two past the side of the slide. Call Stone Vos at 423 360 3601 or visit the web site www.stonevos.com The owner, Chris Throgmartin has done many seminars, including the 419 Holiday Rambler in Goshin and he just finished the Monaco Gathering held at Lazydays Campground last week. You cannot buy better material any where.
tranquility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:05 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
To make the fabric wider, you probably also need a wider roller for it. Could be changed out to do that (within reason), and I wish the factories would do so, but I guess they want to save a few bucks. A couple more inches on either end would help some, I think
Yes that's what I'm thinking , topper (roller, the fabric, and even the mounting hardware) if it were say 6" wider 3" past the front and 3" past the back then even when slide is retracted and stored for months at a time the top horizontal seal would never get wet.
Just was wondering if anyone has done this or if their rig came with wider toppers?
Old 02-11-2016, 08:58 AM   #10

No change in roller or any other component. Just a proper measurement of the roller inside to inside. Go to the web site I posted earlier.
tranquility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:58 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

My toppers do extend beyond the edges of the slides, enough to give 2"-3" extra. Rain still gets underneath, so I think it would take more extra than you believe.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:01 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
No change in roller or any other component
Seems to me that would depend on the size of the roller tube originally installed. The fabric on mine already comes to within an inch of the end of the tube, which is the max the topper manufacturer recommends. Mine would definitely need a longer tube to get wider fabric.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:52 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
X2 on what Tranquility said. I notice your home base is Silver Springs, FL. Stone Vos (Chris Throgmartin) is in Brooksville, FL, just around the corner from you. Take you coach over to him and he will gladly climb on your roof and he will tell you everything you would like to know about your roof, awnings, slide toppers and slide sealing. Gene M
Old 02-13-2016, 05:36 AM   #14

Hi John:

I will try and answer your question for you.

Slide topper length ( from one end of the slide to the other ) is dictated by the length of the roller tube. You cannot get extra fabric over your slide without buying a bigger assembly. If the roller tube is 100 inches wide then the max length of the fabric would be 98 1/2 inches. ( You need end clearance ).

I see you own a 2004 model RV. During this time period and up till about 2007 manufacturers were holding costs down any way they could. So they used slide topper assemblies that JUST covered the slides. This is especially true if you have Carefree assemblies. Unfortunately there is little you can do except making sure that your new topper fabric is maxed out on length. This is very important.

We make an extra wide side seam on each end to provide rigidity and prevent end peel. This is when the topper holds water and then runs off, deflecting the edge of the fabric and peeling it downward towards the top of the slide. When this happens it dumps water directly on top of your slide. In the event of toppers being short such as yours then I recommend that you bring your slides in partially ( 6 - 8 inches ) and then pause for a minute or two. Then extend them back out again. This will roll the water towards the outside edge of the slide and dump what water you have on the topper.

Please feel free to call me if you have any other questions or need a better explanation. I spend all week on the phone helping RV'ers through these issues and do not mind helping those here on IRV2. 352-942-0224. EST.

Safe travels,

Chris T

Tags
slide, slide out, slideout