Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2015, 08:08 AM   #1

SHOW and TELL part 2

My search for my next MH has uncovered the desire to know how to determine the following:

1. Cummins engine S/N (300-400HP) If I ask somebody in order to learn whether it's in the recall range, I'm finding that I should tell them where to look in order to get it. Would it be in a different place on rear or side radiators?

2. Schwintek slides Is the controller named with Schwintek (just as it would be for HWH, etc?)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2015, 03:43 PM   #2

The Serial # and CPL # are on a data-plate on the engine. Different models have the data-plate in different locations. The ISC 8.3 Cummins data-plate in on top the timing gear cover. When looking at the data-plate from the pulleys/ engine front, the data-plate is upside-down. You must either use a camera to snap a picture (which you may invert), use a mirror (which causes the image to be backwards and upside-down), or raise the engine cover inside the coach. I take pictures.
Cummins, ISB 6.7, The data-plate is on the cylinder head cover. If it's missing or illegible, The S/N is stamped on the right side of the block, on top of the oil cooler cavity.
The Cummins ISL engine data plate is located on the top side of the gear housing, which will be in the lower right quadrant when viewed from the access door at the rear of the coach. If the engine data plate is not readable, the ESN can be found on the engine block on top of the lubricating oil cooler housing. Additional engine information is on the electronic control module (ECM) dataplate.

Can't help with #2
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 06:15 AM   #3

Thanks, Ray. Not easy for people to find it. I checked my paperwork and don't see anything related to the S/N.

Wait!! Wouldn't the chassis manufacturer have that information; meaning a call to their CS should result in success?
Old 02-23-2015, 03:39 PM   #4

The engine mfgr. has this information, chassis mfgr may, depending on their "mood of the day".
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 03:14 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
This site may be of help for you:

https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/..._esn_tip.print

There has been a lot of info that's been talked about on here about the recall on the ISL series engine. You can find it easily by searching the site. I personally have posted links for the Serial numbers of the engines involved.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/is-t...ne-serial-numb...
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 04:42 PM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have a Holiday Rambler Endeavor and when I bought the coach, it came with a sheet with all the serial numbers of all the original "stuff" like the microwave, the engine serial number, etc. Turns out that by going to the HR web site you can surf and find the link for any HR...give the site the VIN # and it will provide you the sheet of all the factory installed stuff. Not sure if other manufacturers are so meticulous in their records, and it doesn't guarantee the item hasn't been changed out (new tires, for example....the old goodyear serial numbers were NA), but I was able to check the engine serial number to verify it wasn't part of the recall.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:43 AM   #7

TWO MINUTES

That's how long it took the Freightliner CS man to pull up the engine S/N for my coach.

The serial number was within the range for the Cummins wrist-pin recall, so I called Cummins in order to learn more about what to do. Glad I did, because:

the recall is ONLY for ISL engines (mine is an ISB). If your Cummins S/N is in the recall range...but it is Not an ISL, don't fret. You're in the clear.

Both Freightliner and Cummins have exemplary Customer Service people
Old 02-26-2015, 08:20 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Ok, I'll post the ISL engine serial numbers that are involved in the recall again:
46543077-46603939
This is only for the ISL series engines. That's a total of 60,862 units and some of them were put in emergency vehicles so not all of them wound up in Motorhome chassis.
If You own a Cummins power plant check out this site:

https://www.quickserve.cummins.com/info/index.html
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote