Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2016, 08:40 PM   #1

Show us your exterior TV mount

My exterior 32" TV mount is fixed and am looking to change it to articulating so I can have more viewing possibilities.

What did you use or how did you modify yours?

Any Pro's/Con's?

Let's see them!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2016, 08:48 PM   #2

I was just thinking about doing something like this inside my MH. So I went to Amazon, and I couldn't believe how many of them there were for sale. You'll have no problem finding the one that applies to your situation, AND the price on these things has really dropped. What's nice is that you find one that will work, under the details it'll tell you what brand and size TV it fits. Good luck.

B Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Dubya View Post
I was just thinking about doing something like this inside my MH. So I went to Amazon, and I couldn't believe how many of them there were for sale. You'll have no problem finding the one that applies to your situation, AND the price on these things has really dropped. What's nice is that you find one that will work, under the details it'll tell you what brand and size TV it fits. Good luck.
Although there are many there, not too many have locking mechanisms. Without them, the TV will just bounce around while traveling. I'm looking to find something that snaps into place once I'm done using it. I've seen a few from Camping World with mixed reviews. Looking to see what everybody else is using and if any problems once they installed them.
Old 09-20-2016, 10:00 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bungie cord. Wide flat one.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 04:28 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Been thinking about the same idea. Look for a down and out mount or sometimes they are called fireplace mounts. They allow the TV to be pulled out a bit then down to a better viewing height. Some do swivel and I have seen one that locks closed.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:41 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is what I use - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I move the TV between the home and the coach when we head out. In the coach the TV moves between the bedroom and outside. In the bedroom I use the included holding strap to keep the TV from moving around. Using a 32" TV the arm gives me about 45 degrees of movement left or right from a center position. A smaller TV would allow more, larger less.

For installation you'll need a hard point to screw into which is probably the diffacult part of installation. When I installed on the outside of the coach I waited for a wet morning and all the in wall aluminum struts to stand out. Inside the coach I mounted on a hollow wall but added a 4" x 36" wood strut (it's actually an oak floor threshold) held to the wall with toggle bolts to spread the weight out.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:33 AM   #7

American Coach Owners Club
I recently added a 32" Flat screen using a flip up mount.
Details here:
Show your custom outside TV install

Mount I used:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 11:00 AM   #8

Thanks guys. Appreciate the responses!

Any actual install pics and/or whether or not there are any pros and cons that came along with the install, etc.

I love the fact that I have a 32" TV outside but hate the fact that I am unable to pull it out and reposition it at different angles for different views.

I'd like to find something that will lock and hold the TV in place until I release it and articulate where I want it. I also have a cover that I put over the TV when not in use so I don't want to use any bungee cords, pool noodles, etc.....lol.

I've seen other coaches with these style mounts but when surfing to find something, I'm seeing mixed reviews on the popular brands along with units that have been damaged due to the mount failing, etc.

Anyone have the original mounts that articulate as described? Any manufacturer or part number on those? Have you designed your own?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160720_171811.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	139551   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV cover.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	139552  

Old 09-21-2016, 04:19 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I did a tube type to LED conversion in our '06 Itasca and used the locking mount from Camping World. I found it to be well made and worked great on a 32" TV. I did have to extend the pull chain so it was long enough to reach below the TV, but that was the only issue. Make some foam filler blocks to fit behind the TV when it is retracted and locked back to keep it from moving around and you won't even have to bungee cord it.
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 06:11 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
I bought this slim line articulating arm at Sam's club $50. It's perfect on the box. Holds 32" Tv solid to metal box in slide out I attached plastic bumpers to the front of the Tv to keep it from bumping against the slide out tv door cover also i added a Bluetooth transmitter fr Amazon so I can watch TV outside on my headphones and not disturb neighbors plugs into the 3.5 mm Audio plug and powered by a spare USB outlet on tv

It doesn't articulate full 90 degrees but does a pretty good job at an angling either way

There was already a Tv mount there which I had to remove so covered the holes for cables and power with a plastic mesh filter material. Velcro tape on the backside of cabinet so I can remove the plastic black mesh if needed for service

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1474502701.013288.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	139578Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1474502721.810880.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	139579Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1474502755.836495.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	139580Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1474502802.062358.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	139581
Old 09-21-2016, 07:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
I did a tube type to LED conversion in our '06 Itasca and used the locking mount from Camping World. I found it to be well made and worked great on a 32" TV. I did have to extend the pull chain so it was long enough to reach below the TV, but that was the only issue. Make some foam filler blocks to fit behind the TV when it is retracted and locked back to keep it from moving around and you won't even have to bungee cord it.
Nice.

Did you buy the 15" or 24" extended arm mount? I see they have two now.

How has it been holding up?
Old 09-21-2016, 07:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyD View Post
I bought this slim line articulating arm at Sam's club $50. It's perfect on the box. Holds 32" Tv solid to metal box in slide out I attached plastic bumpers to the front of the Tv to keep it from bumping against the slide out tv door cover also i added a Bluetooth transmitter fr Amazon so I can watch TV outside on my headphones and not disturb neighbors plugs into the 3.5 mm Audio plug and powered by a spare USB outlet on tv

It doesn't articulate full 90 degrees but does a pretty good job at an angling either way

There was already a Tv mount there which I had to remove so covered the holes for cables and power with a plastic mesh filter material. Velcro tape on the backside of cabinet so I can remove the plastic black mesh if needed for service

Attachment 139578Attachment 139579Attachment 139580Attachment 139581
Nice.

This is similar to mine.

I'm just looking for more extension to get more of a angle.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:53 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvannote View Post
Nice.

Did you buy the 15" or 24" extended arm mount? I see they have two now.

How has it been holding up?
I don't know as they were only offering one at the time I bought mine. It held up well for the four years after my install. I have since traded off the Itasca, so I don't know how it's doing now. I see that they now have the two you are referring two, but this is the one I used:
Master Mount Locking Heavy Duty Cantilever TV Mount, 408L - McNaughton 94735 - TV Accessories - Camping World
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:14 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Look on Amazon same style brackets for much less and I've been happy with the quality ... 10-30 bucks

BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote