Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2018, 08:50 PM   #1

Shower adjustment

The motorhome in the signature line. Some of the fixtures are Moen but not sure about the shower controls. Can't find any markings. It's metal, single lever control that you turn counter-clockwise to turn on and get hot. It's always been that we have to have it mostly hot but this trip there is barely any water in the full hot and eventually the water does get warm, Moved back clockwise the volume increases dramatically but it's also full cold. I have tried researching shower control adjustments but not having much luck finding anything relevant. The outside hand held shower has both knobs closed. I haven't made any adjustments to anything. The last motorhome trip in early spring everything was fine. The knob appears to be held on with a center screw. Haven't removed it but will tomorrow. To recap, with the knob full clockwise, when moving counter-clockwise the water volume increases nicely, and cold. At the nearly full CCW position the water volume decreases dramatically and gets slowly warm. Not burn you hot, just warm.

Any suggestions on cleaning, adjustments, repairs?
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2018, 09:33 PM   #2

you've already insured the outside shower valves are closed.Do you have normal hot water from the 2-valve faucets, if not, have you insured the water heater bypass valves are in the correct positions?

I also have Moen faucets, the Moen website has pictures to identify fixtures(even obsolete) and complete instructions for disassembly and repair. It takes some digging, but they are on the website.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:38 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I'd bet its a Moen like your others.

take the center screw out. Then if it is a moen, a cresent wrench will take the center cover off, which should expose the cartridge. It's sometimes hard to remove the cartridge, but firm steady pressure pulling out should get you there. It could be damaged, or possible some debris is caught in it. If you want to replace the cartridge, it's best to take the old one with you so you can match it exactly.

I like to add a little plumbers grease to the cartridge before I slide it back into the housing. Make the next time you pull it out easier.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
I'd bet its a Moen like your others.

take the center screw out. Then if it is a moen, a cresent wrench will take the center cover off, which should expose the cartridge. It's sometimes hard to remove the cartridge, but firm steady pressure pulling out should get you there. It could be damaged, or possible some debris is caught in it. If you want to replace the cartridge, it's best to take the old one with you so you can match it exactly.

I like to add a little plumbers grease to the cartridge before I slide it back into the housing. Make the next time you pull it out easier.
If there is a problem with a moen facet it has a lifetime warranty. Just call the moen facility and they will send you the parts you need. On mine they sent me a new cartridge that was bad but it still had a problem when I replaced it due to another stuck valve . When I called and asked for that part also they said they would send it or I could have a new complete facet for a very cheap sum . I took the new facet.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:51 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies so far. I took the handle off and removed the 2 screws that hold the valve/cartridge to the escutcheon which was caulked the fiberglass wall. The only way to get to the valve is remove the plate so last night I didn't get any further into it. Bad thing, we just started out on a 2 month trip escaping the SE heat and humidity for the (hopefully) cooler drier WI, MI.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:55 PM   #6

??? Success I think???

The shower faucet is a Moen, not by any identifying Moen markings but by the physical appearance and characteristics. Apparently has a 1222 cartridge and found a video to replace it. Got it back apart including the escutcheon plate, and retaining clip. At point I should be able to just pull the cartridge out. Won't come out. Figure I'd need a slide hammer which I seemed to have forgotten this trip. Rather than break the whole valve I decide to reassemble and see what happens. I put the hot/cold limiter in a different setting, just guessing on that and put it back together. I now have ample hot although we turned off the water heater last night so only residual hot water. Maybe turning the valve stem around a few times freed up something, I don't know but since it now seems to be working, I'll stop fixing it.

Tags
shower