Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2016, 07:58 PM   #1

Shower Exhaust Fan

My 04 HR has a rain sensor exhaust fan over the shower. When I turn up the thermostat the cover opens but the fan will not come on. Does any one have any ideas what might be wrong?
Waynesplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2016, 07:20 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Who manufactured the Fan? What Model is it? Does it have a remote?

Most have a number of switches and settings that have to be set correctly to work. Check all of the switch settings first. There might also be an internal on/off switch in the coach.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:16 PM   #3

MH is an 04 Holiday Rambler but not sure as to the model of the fan. I know that all of the switches are in the right position as it has worked and is not working now. It has a fuse and the fuse looks great. I will see if I can figure out the make and model of the fan
Old 11-04-2016, 09:27 PM   #4

It was manufactured by Fantastic Vent Corporation. Looks like I'll have to go on top the coach to find the model number.
Old 11-05-2016, 12:10 PM   #5

The cheapest way for $72.00 on ebay is the vortex ll fan but it has no remote control.
Dave0559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 04:54 PM   #6

I would suggest checking the electric motor. You can check resistance of the windings and also shorts to ground with a multimeter. I would also meter the fuse 1st. Just because it looks good means nothing.
If all that is good I would apply 12 vdc directly to the motor. If the motor runs that tells you that the issue is in the control circuit. Maybe one or more of the switches are faulty or connections.
ScottyBye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 05:08 PM   #7

One more point to clarify.
You mentioned a thermostat. Which would mean it also has a temperature sensor. Which also could be a problem in the control circuit.
You said that turning up the thermostat does nothing.
If it's a bidirectional fan and it is set to exhaust (air out) turning up the tstat (warmer temperature) opens the circuit and the fan stops.
Something to check!!!
ScottyBye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 09:16 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
if you have a Fantastic Fan they have Fantastic Customer service. very helpful. give Sharon G a call 800521-0298 ext 1147-34 she has helped me out on a couple occasions.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:58 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
If the cover raises, and the fan fails to operate, most lively the plunger switch is corroded or inop. When you are on the roof spray the switch with an electronic cleaner, then actuate the switch several times, this might work.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan, shower