Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2011, 10:00 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Shower is too hot then too cold.

Has any one had problem with no temp control with shower? We have a 2003 Winnebago Brave and we checked with a RV center and they said we would have to go to Winnabego for parts/ repairs. Winnebago said it would be the cartridge and the part $100.00 + dollars. Why wouldn't a part from Lowes do the same job? Like to hear from anyone with advise.
Islandduffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2011, 12:56 PM   #2

Here is an old post about the shower faucet in your coach http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/03-b...wer-67313.html

If it is indeed a Phoenix Faucet then I doubt you'll be able to get parts for it at any of the home centers. Here is a web address for Phoenix Faucet and maybe they can get you hooked up. Phoenix Faucets Home

Hope this helps you out. Good luck!
radams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:49 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandduffer View Post
Has any one had problem with no temp control with shower? We have a 2003 Winnebago Brave and we checked with a RV center and they said we would have to go to Winnabego for parts/ repairs. Winnebago said it would be the cartridge and the part $100.00 + dollars. Why wouldn't a part from Lowes do the same job? Like to hear from anyone with advise.
I had a 2003 Chieftain with the same problem. I called the parts dept. at Lichtsinn Motors and was told Winnebago had a valve replacement that corrected the problem. If I remember correctly it was Moen Positemp or something like that. It fit in the same position of the old valve. Mounting & water connections also worked. After that I never had any more water temperature fluctuations.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:14 PM   #4

Not familiar with your setup, but perhaps this may help. On our F/Wood Revolution, we have a single handle control that governs both water volume and hot/cold temp. Had the same problem with too hot....too cold. Somewhat sloppy operation also. Pulled off the faucet "stuff" and, since I had easy access, also disconnected the water lines and pulled the rough-in valve out from behind the shower.

Home Depot had a perfect match rebuild kit for our faucet. It includes new springs, rubber seals, ball valve, nylon pivot, etc. Very straightforward repair for ours. Since the coach is winterized, I won't be able to test it yet for awhile, but all the rebuild parts went in easily, and the faucet now has a "new", tight feel to it. We'll see, but I don't envision a problem...famous last words!!

Maybe this helps. You might also want to do a forum search since this subject comes up rather regularly. PLEASE let us know how you make out....thanks!
Old 12-29-2011, 03:23 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Shower Mixture Design Needed

Quote:
Ours seems like the std Lowes item, is impractical as heck for RV and horrible for finding the right temperature.

The person who can come up with a mixing valve that dispenses water only when a preset temp is achieved will be a true hero, within our community!
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:54 PM   #6

Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeapBigEngin View Post
Not familiar with your setup, but perhaps this may help. On our F/Wood Revolution, we have a single handle control that governs both water volume and hot/cold temp. Had the same problem with too hot....too cold. Somewhat sloppy operation also. Pulled off the faucet "stuff" and, since I had easy access, also disconnected the water lines and pulled the rough-in valve out from behind the shower.

Home Depot had a perfect match rebuild kit for our faucet. It includes new springs, rubber seals, ball valve, nylon pivot, etc. Very straightforward repair for ours. Since the coach is winterized, I won't be able to test it yet for awhile, but all the rebuild parts went in easily, and the faucet now has a "new", tight feel to it. We'll see, but I don't envision a problem...famous last words!!
Can this be done without pulling the faucet?
Just Because is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Take a look at this topic in the Winnebago forum:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/show...nt-111125.html

We had the same problem several years ago and replaced the valve. I think you'll find it's cheaper and less frustrating to replace it rather than attempt to repair it.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:56 AM   #8

Just Because....

If yours is like mine, the faucet "stuff" must be pulled to get at the internal parts that will be replaced via a rebuild kit. It is not difficult at all if you have the usual hand tools most RV'ers have (phillips screw driver, etc.). Most of us are pretty good "tinkerers". Just be careful of the small springs and rubber boots in the rebuild kit that they don't become a permanent part of your holding tank!

By the way, the faucet apparatus MUST match up to the rough-in valve (some folks call it the mixing valve) behind the shower wall...there are many different types. The rebuild kit for our setup cost about $5 at HDepot. The kit includes the necessary parts for both the rough-in valve AND the faucet. As I said, I pulled the rough-in valve out of ours just to get more knowledge of the whole thing and to take it to HD to get the correct rebuild kit. Also helped to get a better idea on my work bench of how the new parts go in BEFORE attempting it in the coach. The workbench time was extremely helpful to me and a good learning process as well.

Your call, but it is not a difficult or an expensive repair. Never have been a fan of throwing away perfectly good parts.

Hope this helps....

Good luck....
Old 12-30-2011, 01:00 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
hot and cold

we have a 2008 Beaver Patriot Thunder, and as of recent we started getting colder than normal showers. I thought it was the hot water tank, but reading here it sounds like the problem is the darm valve. What is it that plugs these things up? We spend a lot of time in Las Vegas and Vegas has some of the nastiest water in the world, high mineral content. Is there a way to prevent this from happening?
chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chev View Post
we have a 2008 Beaver Patriot Thunder, and as of recent we started getting colder than normal showers. I thought it was the hot water tank, but reading here it sounds like the problem is the darm valve. What is it that plugs these things up? We spend a lot of time in Las Vegas and Vegas has some of the nastiest water in the world, high mineral content. Is there a way to prevent this from happening?
If you have hot water at the kitchen and bathroom faucets I wold sspect the shower valve. If you have the same problem at all the water faucets I'd suspect the check valve at the hot side of the water heater.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeapBigEngin View Post
Just Because....

If yours is like mine, the faucet "stuff" must be pulled to get at the internal parts that will be replaced via a rebuild kit. It is not difficult at all if you have the usual hand tools most RV'ers have (phillips screw driver, etc.). Most of us are pretty good "tinkerers". Just be careful of the small springs and rubber boots in the rebuild kit that they don't become a permanent part of your holding tank!

By the way, the faucet apparatus MUST match up to the rough-in valve (some folks call it the mixing valve) behind the shower wall...there are many different types. The rebuild kit for our setup cost about $5 at HDepot. The kit includes the necessary parts for both the rough-in valve AND the faucet. As I said, I pulled the rough-in valve out of ours just to get more knowledge of the whole thing and to take it to HD to get the correct rebuild kit. Also helped to get a better idea on my work bench of how the new parts go in BEFORE attempting it in the coach. The workbench time was extremely helpful to me and a good learning process as well.

Your call, but it is not a difficult or an expensive repair. Never have been a fan of throwing away perfectly good parts.

Hope this helps....

Good luck....
In our motorhome there was no separate mixing valve. All the mixing was done in the shower valve itself. The only thing behind the wall was the PEX tubes that were attached to the valve.

One problem with the OEM valve is that there is only about 180* of rotation from full cold to full hot. Even the slightest movement makes substantial changes in water temperature. The new valve has almost 360* of rotation from full cold to full hot. It's much easier to make small temperature adjstments.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:49 PM   #12

Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
After much reading, I decided to bite the bullet and fix or replace the shower head. Tired of Hot / cold and dancing in the shower stream.

Fleetwood Providence 39... so i started looking for an access to the shower. Has to be one since it was not installed with the plumbing connected. In the kitchen was a mirror on the passenger wall, thought it was on the slide, but it was not. Lets take a "LOOK SEE". Removed the screws and the mirror, and there was the shower valve, plumbing and everything in reach.

Took 3 minutes to remove the valve and off to Lowes. Replacement was a Moen L 82691 for $79. Got it to the car and DW said I hope it's brushed nickel . Guess what ! Back inside and found what I wanted, L 82691 brushed nickel this time $120 . $40 for a color change.

I'll install it tomorrow, this maybe will take 30 minutes since I have to swap fittings.
Just Because is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:53 PM   #13

Hikerdogs.....that is very, very interesting. Sounds like we have different setups...no surprise, right? Lots of alternatives out there in this crazy RV world!! And I like the 360* rotation instead of the 180* it seems most of us have. Like you said, it makes the small temp adjustments much easier....and therin probably lies the problem with the OEM setups. If we used our coach more, I would probably opt for a setup like yours. Or maybe I just need to shower more often...hee hee!!

To the other interested posters....If it is one faucet/mixing valve unit or assembly, as Hikerdogs mentioned, then I would guess that rebuild is out of the question. If it is 2 seperate parts like ours, then the kit should work fine. It's always helpful to find out what the other folks run up against on these things....no sense re-inventing the wheel!!