Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-02-2013, 09:58 PM   #1
Shower Leak - help removing drain

Hi All,

I noticed my shower is leaking. I pulled the access panel below the shower and found that one of the fittings had broken off. I have been trying to pull the u-pipe connection, but it is very difficult. The access panel only gives room for one hand/arm and when I twist the connection, it twists the drain on the shower. I did some research and heard there is a tool for this. I'm sure this is a standard practice as you need to remove the drain to remove the shower. Can anyone let me know where to find "the tool" or if there is something else I should be doing?

--'91 Fleetwood Southwind Class A 7.4L v8 454 Engine
sjkted is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2013, 08:30 AM   #2
I haven't removed one from an RV, but I'm pretty sure they remove the same way as in a house shower. You didn't show a photo of what it looked like, so I'm guessing as to that. It should unscrew. I would try sticking pliers down into the holes in the drain and put a crescent wrench on the pliers to turn it counter-clockwise. Pliers come in many forms, so you may have to find a set with the right size jaws. Good luck!

2004 Tiffin Allegro 27.5 ft. P32 18,000 lb GVW. 8.1 liter. Workhorse chassis built May 2002. 21,000 miles. 2012 Jeep Liberty Toad. RVi2 brake unit.
Full.Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:52 AM   #3
Freightliner Owners Club
If the pliers don't work, try this..BrassCraft Tub Drain Removal Tool-T170 at The Home Depot

I used on tub in the S&B, not the MH...
Hooligan, Pensacola, Fl -U.S. Coast Guard 1956-1985
2016 Thor Siesta Sprinter 24ST diesel
Our Pug "Lily" & "George" the Newfoundland
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:17 AM   #4
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
If the pliers don't work, try this..BrassCraft Tub Drain Removal Tool-T170 at The Home Depot

I used on tub in the S&B, not the MH...
Thanks for the info. This is getting me on the right track. The crossbars are gone so I probably won't be able to use this tool.

I saw one video with a guy who used a socket and attached to a socket wrench to remove.

I've already tried working with several pairs of pliers but I'd rather buy another pair than hire a plumber.

I will call a plumber though if it comes to drilling or cutting it out.

Thanks again.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:28 PM   #5
I think I found what I need. This tool is designed to remove the drain even with the crossbars removed. I'll try it out and report back my findings:

Shop Superior Tool 1-1/2-in Drain Removal Wrench at Lowes.com

Old 09-03-2013, 02:22 PM   #6
I had a similar problem several years ago, I replace all of the fitting with rubber. I found everything I needed at Lowes. I also added support to the floor to prevent flexing.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:18 PM   #7
Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I just had the same problem. They make an internal wrench that expands when torqued. I believe it was a Ridgid brand I was able to borrow from a from my BIL. New they are around $80 so finding one to use is the way to go.

2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3650
2011 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Bill & Sue
conmoto is offline   Reply With Quote

leak, shower