Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2011, 09:44 AM   #1

Shower Problem

First, let me thank you for allowing me to participate on your web site. As a Monaco owner, I am sure I can learn a lot. Hopefully, I can be helpful also.

We own a 2000 Monarch 34PBD. We bought the coach used and it did not come with manuals. (I know where to get them) We have a problem with the shower. When putting the shower head on hold during use, there is a water leak from under the shower pan. The problem manifest itself when we had to change the shower head. I can't find any access panel(s) for the shower. Is there anyone who can diagnose the problem and how to affect a repair?

Thanks in advance,

Gerald

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2011, 09:53 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
The access to my shower connections is behind the bedroom pocket door, but my coach is different than yours. But check, you never know.

BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:08 AM   #3

Bob, thanks for the reply. Sorry I did not respond sooner. I have been in contact with 11 different repair shops and they are all amazed there is no access panel(s). The only credible suggestion is to cut a panel under the shower faucet, affect the repair and put a patch cover over the access and seal with silicone. If there is anyone else out there with a better idea please respond.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:19 AM   #4

Gerald, the valve should be on a side of a shower with an interior wall behind it measure the distance from floor and a door jam to the center of the valve. Then measur the same distance on the wall behind it. From the center point using a square make your self a 1 x 1 foot opening (center point in the center of your opening. This will give you access to the valve. After repairs you can attach a mirrow, pic frame, or other suitable cover over the opening. Do not cut your shower stall wall, you will be sad. Hope this helps.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:20 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Gerald- discussion on the Monaco Owners forum here. Sounds like some have access- or not?
Replacing shower valve 03 Dip.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:36 AM   #6

Thanks to everyone for your input. However, this may be a unique coach. If I cut an access panel in the galley wall, I will have to extend it thru the slide wall leaving the slide wall vunerable to the weather. There is absolutely no access to the faucet without a major undertaking of removing the slide completely. As you all can attest this is very costly to make what should be a simple repair. We dearly love our Monaco, it is a great coach, but I am examining alternative brands. I too contacted the factory and received the advice to cut the access panel in the galley wall. This will not work!! Once again, thank you all for your input.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:59 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Gerald, I am not familiar with your coach, but are you saying you shower is part of the slide? that is the only way I can think that you would have to cut the exterior wall of the slide. my experience has alwayys been once you figure out the right way it usually not that hard. can you post a link to your floor plan? Good Luck.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:25 AM   #8

mikf, the shower is not part of the driver side slide. Sadly, my computer skills are limited, reducing my chances of posting the floor plan. I will try to post a picture of the troublesome area. Till then let me try and explain. The stationary wall to the back of the shower backs up to the driver side slide. The shower control faucet is installed on a diagional in the right rear corner of the shower stall. When the slide is out there is a recessed small wall cabinet (floor to ceiling) then the stove and cooktop with microwave above. There is a small wall area above and to the back left of the stovetop. This wall space is 18" wide and 13" high. This is where I was told to cut the access. However, if the panel is cut here the side wall of the slide must be cut also. No way around it. I have examined going thru the cabinet, but the back wall of the cabinet is the exterior wall of the slide. I am not giving up on this repair and if it takes me spending 2-3 grand to have the slide removed then so be it, but I am going to exhaust all other alternatives first.

Thanks for you post.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:08 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Gerald,
In my closet in the bedroom is a pannel that is screwed into the back of the closet.
when I removed it to look for a spot to bring down my wires for a solar pannel,
I saw the back of the facet for the shower...
Hope yours is like mine..
later
jeff
opps... just read your last post so this does not apply... sorry...
TDiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:44 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Gerald, I bet the slide could be run out past the outer wall if you remove all of the interior trim, although that could be a chalenge if the kitchen is part of the slide. if you remove the wooden pluggs there will be screws so you do not damage the trim, then there should be an L channel that can be removed. if you do try that I would put some jacks under the slide just to be safe, although it should not fall the minute it clears the exterior wall. sounds like a challenging project. be sure to let us know how it turns out.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:21 PM   #11

We really feel for you. We have a 40 foot 04 Beaver Monterey. We need to replace the faucet in the tub/shower. There is absolutely no access to the faucet and it backs up to the outside wall. The only way is to remove the whole tub/shower unit, fix the faucet and replace the unit, or to cut an access panel in the outside of the coach. We were lucky we managed to do a quick fix with an ugly black rubber piece to pull on the shower. This may not last. In the meantime we just consider this is another "special feature" of our coach.

jollyjim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shower