Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2012, 03:55 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Shower skylight

Today, while winterizing our Allegro motorhome, I discovered cracks in the exterior skylight that is located over the shower. The skylight was replaced by me, a little over three years ago due to cracking of the original skylight. I used an OEM part obtained from motorhome manufacturer for the replacement. Does anyone have a source for a skylight made from a different material that would last a little longer than the two that I have gone through? Or am I doomed to replace it with the OEM part every three years? The cracks do not originate from the screw holes around the perimeter of the skylight. It is just a rectangular size, not an odd shape.

Thanks for any info

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2012, 04:04 PM   #2

My guess that are stress cracks caused by mot tightening the screws down evenly or a slight unlevel of the roof. Be sure to use lots of seal tape under the cover, do not tighten the screws down too much and Dicor on top of everything.

450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:16 PM   #3

Plastic needs to be able to move as it expands and contracts with temp. changes. Fastening it solidly to the roof framework under it won't let it do that, or do that enough? Kinda like vinyl siding that been fastened improperly?

Next time suggest you drill the screw holes out a size or 2 bigger than your screws, and just use screws every 4-6 inches - just enough to pull/set the plastic into the bedding compound. Then seal it.

Just did ours, best price I found was from PPL....
Old 10-07-2012, 11:11 AM   #4

All I did with the cracks in my skylight was to cover them with some Eternabond tape. 6 years and running. No leaks. Can't be seen from the street or inside and don't block much light. Doing it this way prevents future cracks or existing cracks from extending as the flexing of the rig is absorbed by the existing cracks and flexibility of the Eternabond. I should have, but didn't have the time to drill small holes at the ends of the cracks. Hasn't made any difference so far.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:15 PM   #5

I also will be replacing ours for that reason,,, a rectangle one too. I got a quote from these people that I will be ordering from,,, in Lexan. The price was as good or better than I had found other places for our size,
EZ Tops World Wide manufacture acrylic and Lexan skylights and domes.
They are pretty highly recomended by people on this site.
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:10 PM   #6

All of the above plus a coat of 303 Protectant or other UV resistant dressing.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:34 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Used EZtop for my 99 sportcoach fit perfect at a1/4 of the price , Great to deal with also.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:39 PM   #8

On a previous motor home I had a cracked skylight that was NOT a standard size. I could have had one made (but didn't have the $$) so instead covered it with a couple of layers of fiberglass & resin I had left over from another project. That seemed to work OK, no leaks and it was not visible from ground level.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:20 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I replaced mine this summer with 1/2 " lexan, bevelled the edges, just like a raised panel, so the eternabond tape covers the edges very well. Screws every 3-4 inches. It is, obviously, very strong and UV resistant as well.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:33 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
FoxLite.Com...are sky light manufactures and sell retail through a close by
retail company..I got their telephone number from Foxlite, called them and with
in a few days, I had my new better built skylite..To order, call 800-777-6601,
ask for Dave. My number was CDE1624, 16" x 24", outside 17.5" x 25.5:, with
lip on sides. About $100 shipped to Iowa...Have a Great Day in the Lord, gene
Old 10-19-2012, 10:37 AM   #11

Howdy!

Our sky light cracked and leaked. In stead of replacing it with another sky light we replaced it with a 12 volt fan. No more problems and we can vent the shower out quickly using the fan. Never liked the sky light any way.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
Old 10-19-2012, 07:51 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
Today, while winterizing our Allegro motorhome, I discovered cracks in the exterior skylight that is located over the shower. The skylight was replaced by me, a little over three years ago due to cracking of the original skylight. I used an OEM part obtained from motorhome manufacturer for the replacement. Does anyone have a source for a skylight made from a different material that would last a little longer than the two that I have gone through? Or am I doomed to replace it with the OEM part every three years? The cracks do not originate from the screw holes around the perimeter of the skylight. It is just a rectangular size, not an odd shape.

Thanks for any info
I feel your pain. Was on the roof today giving it a wax job when I discovered a cracked skylite over the shower that was replaced by me in 2009. Really irritates the hell out of me of after spending over $130 plus shipping for something that will last a little over 3 years. The MH is covered from the sun so no excuse there. Probably seen a year of sunlight during this time so I guess the cracks are are to blame on the screws which, as I remember, were not all that tight. I think it is simply "poor engineering". I'm going with the eternabondfor repair.
Richard
Old 10-20-2012, 10:46 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Some RV roof sealants will affect the plastic in the skylights, causing them to weaken and crack. Fleetwood and American Coach recommend this one for caulking around skylights:

Surebond SB-140 Architectural Elastomeric Rubber Sealant
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:41 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Some RV roof sealants will affect the plastic in the skylights, causing them to weaken and crack. Fleetwood and American Coach recommend this one for caulking around skylights:

Surebond SB-140 Architectural Elastomeric Rubber Sealant
Thanks for the info. If I ever install another one, I'll use it.
Richard

Tags
shower