Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2011, 05:53 PM   #1

Shurflo 5.7 Extreme Series Water Pump

Howdy all. We purchased an extreme series Shurflo water pump to increase our pressure a bit in our 2004 Mandalay coach. Installed the new pump and did not see a noticeable change in pressure but did notice the pump running longer than original pump and even running at times with no water running, albeit a slight hum and not as loud as when water is on. Have since reinstalled original pump and no run-on symptoms or phantom run-times with original pump. Have searched coach top to bottom and no filter evident on inlet or outlet sides of system. No leaks anywhere and inlet side looks tight as far as a vacuum leak.Think I may have a defective pump but may be missing something. Hopefully someone may have come across this already. We do have an email (two weeks ago) and call (today) into Shurflo but have not heard back from them. Thanks for any help!!!

2004 Mandalay 38B
Turferrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2011, 06:06 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Don't waste you money or time with the Shur-Flo POS.

The best place for it is at the end of a rope for a boat anchor.

There are far better pumps for both RV's and Boats that will give you better service and error free performance.

My coach has the Aqua-Jet. Been there for over 10 years and still has tremendous pressure and flow rate.

OMOFWIW

Dr4Film ----- Richard.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:10 PM   #3

Ha ha, that is good information. Thanks for the reply. I get the picture!

2004 Mandalay 38B
Old 08-24-2011, 08:33 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
X2 on the Aquajet
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:31 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The original question was about a problem a new member is having with their new ShurFlo pump. With all due respect, calling an entire product line a POS is a waste of time and doesn't address the specific issue that was raised.

It's possible that your new pump is defective but its more likely that the increased power of the pump may be producing an air leak that isn't an issue with the smaller capacity pump. I can't attest to the company's current customer support capabilities but the 5.7 has a no questions asked 3 year warranty. I would suggest calling them again because they may be able to help you diagnose a problem with your system. I thought I had a problem with the 5.7 in the past but with their assistance, I discovered that a water filter I had installed was the source of the symptoms. The reason it's popular is because the Extreme Series is a very quiet, very powerful pump. ShurFlo pumps are installed in millions of RVs and boats and are generally well built, well backed products. There are other good products on the market as well but you may want to use this opportunity to troubleshoot your system before trying another brand. Best of luck and let us know how things go.

Jack
Old 08-25-2011, 11:32 AM   #6

Thank you Jack will do.

2004 Mandalay 38B
Old 08-27-2011, 06:40 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
turferrw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Don't waste you money or time with the Shur-Flo POS.

The best place for it is at the end of a rope for a boat anchor.

There are far better pumps for both RV's and Boats that will give you better service and error free performance.

My coach has the Aqua-Jet. Been there for over 10 years and still has tremendous pressure and flow rate.

OMOFWIW

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
I agree with Richard that the 5.7 makes a good boat anchor. I recently changed out a two year 5.7 and the guys at Camping World said the 5.7s had a lot of problems. However, Shur flow makes some very good and reliable pumps. I replaced my 5.7 with a 4gpm Shurflow and I'm happy so far with plenty of pressure.(1yr) Good Luck Joe
2000 National Tradewinds
300 Cat
Old 08-27-2011, 06:52 PM   #8

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
The Sureflo 5.7 has been very problematic. I have replaced mine four times. Each time it's been under warranty and each time a different problem. Last time I had to do an exchange, I also bought a different model as a spare. Next time the 5.7 fails, it's gone, warranty or not.

I know this probably doesn't help the OP that much, but at least he will know that his issue isn't necessarily an isolated one.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:06 AM   #9

I installed a 5.7 about a year ago and it does not perfom like it says and i am not happy with it.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:28 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdolan View Post

I installed a 5.7 about a year ago and it does not perform like it says and i am not happy with it.
Are you a fisherman?

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:19 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Ditto on the 5.7 as being problematic. I replaced mine three times on my old motorhome without success. I'll never buy another one.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:44 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have two Flojet boat anchors

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdolan View Post
I installed a 5.7 about a year ago and it does not perfom like it says and i am not happy with it.
I bought a Flojet Sensor VSD 4.5 from CW and did not get around to installing it until about 4 months after purchase. Upon installation it yielded about 2 quarts per minute. CW would not return since it was over 90 days. Called the Flojet company, they sent me another one gratis. This one worked slightly better but barely came out of the shower head. NOW i bought a Shurflo Smart Sensor 5.7and LOVE it. It is quite quiet (which is what DW wanted) and gives a great output at the shower head. Guess I will keep the Flojet 2.8 OEM pump as a spare.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:24 PM   #13

EasyDoesIt-

Good idea to keep it as a spare because you'll probably need it. I'm on my third Shurflo 5.7 and have not spent close to 100 nights in the motorhome yet.
john lipecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:27 AM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
There seems to be nothing but issues with the ShurFlo units. It seems that they draw a lot of power and often people connect them to the original 12v wiring which isn't sufficient.

I replaced my stock pump over 6 years ago with a Flojet VSD 5.7. Its been flawless. It has soooo much power that on a couple of occassions I've connected a 5/8" garden hose to my coach plumbing and washed my motor home with it.

The FloJet is extremely quiet an is variable speed. If you can, return the ShurFlo and go with the FloJet or one of the other recommended pumps.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water