Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2016, 05:35 AM   #43

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
on my rig, the lowest point is the cross bar linking two rear wheels, right before the oil pan.
X2 on my last 2 MH's I have been successfully using Fumotos for the past 14 years. I added a No Spill Valve to the generator on this MH as the Fumoto did sit to low with a thread extension that was required to clear the rock shield https://www.nospillsystems.com/
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2016, 05:51 AM   #44

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
PS--back to milk jugs--call me old fashion but I want the oil to be luke warm so it will drain at a good rate and "wash-out" any contanimates that might have settles in the pan--accordingly, slow drains or stopping to fill milk jugs is not a good idea--IMHO!
I drain my oil hot using the Fumoto. It takes a second too switch jugs as it is sitting right there with the others. I let the last bit of oil drain out while I lube the MH. If there might be one drop of old oil left, I am sure the 2 quart oil filter will catch it. I am only one of the millions of satisfied users including large trucking companies. JMO. I asked my local Cummins dealer if they thought Fumotos valves were OK and they told be they have never seen a problem with their use. That was good enough for me.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:42 PM   #45

Modern oils are designed to hold contaminants in suspension, so any fear of the few extra seconds it takes to drain into several containers is of no consequence.

It is always recommended to get the oil hot before draining to help assure it will flow well, and the Fumoto will help you do this by preventing that hot oil from hitting your hand when trying to get that last thread of the hot plug free of the pan and not drop the plug into the bottom of the oil drain pan.
Airstreamer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 12:51 PM   #46

To double ensure valve can't open accidentally I use a short length of bailing wire and twist it around the valve body, across the slot & under the valve arm. Peace of mind.
Safetysteve5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 07:16 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCLImperial View Post
On my Cummins ISL in an '04 HR Imperial, there are two drain plugs. The usual one at the bottom of the pan, and another one higher up the side. With the upper plug, I usually get about 2-3 gallons of oil out. I can change buckets and get the rest out with the lower plug. No mess!

Dick L '04 Imperial
After reading your post I check the oil pan on my 2015 ISL and was surprised to see the drain plug up on the side of it. Never have seen one like that before and it looks like a real good idea considering the amount of oil the pan holds.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:30 PM   #48

I'll be installing the fumoto on my 8.1 next oil change. If you're worried about it coming open, (which I think it would be unlikely), you could use baling wire mentioned earlier, or they sell a plastic clip which holds the locking lever in place.
LINADR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:54 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Now all I have to decide on is which size my Cummins ISL 450 HP engine will use. The Fumoto order web site only shows the F106 14mm 1.5 but the Fumoto size chart says I need a F104 M18.5 1.5 valve.
How did you ever pick the right size and place to order it?
Yours likely takes same as mine F104N if you don't feel like shopping just order direct from "Fumoto Online". I will add (in my case) the nipple to add a hose extension is not a huge factor. Without adding any hose mine drains right into a 5 gal bucket (twice) holds about 6.5 gallons of oil.
twojayhawks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:33 PM   #50

I'm assuming, without sounding like an ignoramous, that the Fumoto valve can't be installed until the first oil drain is done completely. I can't imagine trying to install it with a stream of oil running down your arm. LOL. Maybe someone has found a way to do it.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:51 PM   #51

Why would you want to?
LINADR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:50 PM   #52
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
I'm assuming, without sounding like an ignoramous, that the Fumoto valve can't be installed until the first oil drain is done completely. I can't imagine trying to install it with a stream of oil running down your arm. LOL. Maybe someone has found a way to do it.
you bet. some people have done that by using a shop vaccum sucking air out from the dipstick. while doing it, removed the oe drain plug and installed the fumoto valve. i heard they didn't loose a drop of oil
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 06:00 AM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Mine just arrived. I got the one with the nipple and hose arrangement. Should make for a easy/clean oil change.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 06:40 AM   #54

I just took my used oil to Tractor Supply for recycling. They mentioned they could take the oil, but could not take the used containers because of disposal regulations. First time I have run into that.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:37 AM   #55

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bigd9, I had the same thing at O'Reilly Auto. I guess you can drop the empty jug in the trash in their parking lot? My trash/recycle service picks up the jug of oil so problem solved here.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:43 AM   #56
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by donhoward49 View Post
Bigd9, I had the same thing at O'Reilly Auto. I guess you can drop the empty jug in the trash in their parking lot? My trash/recycle service picks up the jug of oil so problem solved here.
don't think it's because of regulations, as autozone and walmart in the same city took the jugs. oreilly's has been doing this for years; they just don't like to deal with the trash bin fill-up quick. that is one of the reasons i go to autozone more than oreilly's.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote