Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2014, 05:04 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARFFMAN View Post
I have read a lot about the neg. side regarding side cameras. If you have them great. Your mirrors are the FIRST thing you should look at. My side cameras take out the blind spots. They provide incredible views of side traffic that mirrors cannot see. Nobody has said remove their side mirrors. Side cameras compliment the mirrors and provide additional safety. My vote is the combination of both. Isn't safety most important. Side Cameras have save my Bu#@ more than once.
My option to have 3 cameras vs 1 backup cameras was about $120.00. MY FAMILY LIFE IS WORTH WAY MORE THAT!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2014, 05:12 PM   #16

Side cameras

I have Voyager cameras and consider them a fine safety feature. They work great, show me a bit more than the mirrors can, and nobody "hides" next to me! They even show proper colors!
When using the side cams, I dont need my rear cam, as my toad follows me only too well and can be seen during the turn in the side cam, but I dont look there then cuz I am turning, ya know? I use mirrors first, then side cam just to make sure, and then look into the turn just like in my 1965 driver test.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 06:32 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARFFMAN View Post
... My side cameras take out the blind spots. They provide incredible views of side traffic that mirrors cannot see...

My mirrors have three lenses each, when properly adjusted, I have no blind spots.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 05:00 AM   #18

The side cameras on our Bay Star have saved me a couple times, by showing me a car in the blind spot. Our mirrors have just the flat mirror and the convex on both sides. It is possible to have a car in the blind spot. For me, the side camera is the final check. Turn the signal on, check the display just to verify that I'm seeing everything there is to see, and then change lanes. I wear my mirrors out, but its nice to have that final shot, to show you that, yes you are clear! Can you drive without them? Absolutely. You could also back up your rig without the rear camera, but isn't it much easier with it. I have spent too many years doing things the hard way. It's just another tool in the box, that every now and then, may save you some money. If it keeps you from missing a car in your blind spot just 1 time, it has paid for itself.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 05:19 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
No one really answered the OP question of how much. A quick Google shopping search shows prices from around $200 something to $1600 without installation of course. If you can DIY it would help the cost but may not be easy to run the wires. The prices today have dropped considerably from years ago due to the camera technology I assume. There are some wireless available also but they are more expensive.

Use wise I also use the mirrors first and sometimes find the side cameras annoying. They get foggy when it is raining (ours anyway) and the view is deceiving. I do like them to gauge how far back the vehicle I am passing is. I can't always see it in the rear camera.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:43 AM   #20

Had side cameras on our 2011 vista, they were mounted to the side of the RV and when you used the signals you did not see the back camera, they we ok to have but not great and I still used the mirrors.

We then got a 2014 Journey. The side cameras are mounted in the mirrors and give a much better view. In addition the Journey has two monitors so I can see the rear camera and the side cameras. Nice feature to have.

As far as installing them, I would save your money as I think the cost to have someone install them is just not worth it, even if you could get the camera system for under $500. You could install them your self and save a lot of money and then it might be worth it. The side cameras just require a hole drilled thru the side of the RV, trick is to have the hole where you can not see the wires and were the camera has a good view.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:36 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 103holland View Post
How expensive is it to have side cameras installed on a class A
I don't think anyone can answer this with accuracy since it will vary with the system, the complexity of installation etc. It could easily exceed $1,000 would be my guess.

If you're a do it yourself type, you can buy a monitor, a camera, and cable from ebay for under $100. Buy two monitors, two cameras, and two cables and you have full time side view instead of the confusing switching system. I have each side view monitor mounted in the line of sight of the mirror I'll be looking at. (mounted at the top edge of the dash assembly). Since the monitors are closer than the mirrors, I can see what's happening on the sides of the motorhome very easily. On my motorhome, having the side cameras helps a lot in heavy rain as the view of the mirror can become somewhat distorted in a very heavy rain.

Installing is not difficult, but does involve drilling a hole in the side of the coach large enough to pass the RCA type camera cable. Be sure to seal the hole well after pulling the cable into the dash area. You'll also have to drill two or three small holes for camera mounting screws.

There are some interesting ideas in this thread linked below also:
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Installing multiple outboard cameras for maneuvering safety

Fred
Old 10-25-2014, 12:05 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Keep in mind, color is not always better unless you are spending a lot of money. Black and white cameras are superior at night.
JTBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 01:24 PM   #23

I presume the OP wants to eliminate the blind spot on the passenger side. I have always used a wide angle lens on my passenger window. When it is properly placed, no car can hide from view. It is easily repositioned or removed if needed. Best six bucks I ever spent.

Amazon.com: CIPA 60100 Wide Angle Lens - 8" x 10": Automotive
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lens.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	77379  
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 09:44 PM   #24
Cat

I use my mirrors then turn on signal and double check my blind spot with the camera.I have had several cars move right into my blind spot and because of the camera I saw them move in to that blind spot from other lanes. I also had a 18 wheeler break my right hand mirror with his mirror. This was around San bernadino in 5:00 traffic and I would have been absolutely blind on the right side of my MH----- the camera sure was useful then.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 12:27 AM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSP1268 View Post
When we first got our motor home it had a Triplevision black and white monitor with rear and side view cameras. I didn't care for the side view at all and shortly after the warranty was up the monitor failed. I checked on the price of a replacement monitor and a replacement aftermarket color system. I found a company called Rear View Safety and found I could get an entire replacement color system for less than the price of a replacement b/w monitor. It was a good decision to go with the color system as I also found the side view camera's had a much wider view than the original Triplevision system.
Rear view safety gets my vote. I think you can get a better monitor and three new cameras for under 500.00 There are cheaper companies but if you compare type of monitor and type of camera ,rear safety has better equipment for their price. I also like they sell cameras with infrared LED on them and at least advertise you can see in total darkness for 50 ft.

What I would like to do is install a backup camera on the toad that I could wire into the bus and let me see when I have cleared the vehicle better when I am passing.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 06:52 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
Rear view safety gets my vote. I think you can get a better monitor and three new cameras for under 500.00 There are cheaper companies but if you compare type of monitor and type of camera ,rear safety has better equipment for their price. I also like they sell cameras with infrared LED on them and at least advertise you can see in total darkness for 50 ft.

What I would like to do is install a backup camera on the toad that I could wire into the bus and let me see when I have cleared the vehicle better when I am passing.
Instead of a camera on the toad, consider installing another camera on the back of the coach (or one of the pan/tilt cameras).

I have two cameras on rear of coach:
  • one near vision to see front of toad and help with backing up to hitch up toad
  • one far vision to see behind toad (actually see a little of back of toad).
The far vision camera makes it easy to see when I have cleared the vehicle I'm passing.

Fred
Old 10-28-2014, 07:04 PM   #27

I purchased a very nice side view camera on eBay for $20. It has a metal housing with Crome finish. I mounted it to the bottom of my passenger mirror and run the wire through the arm just like the mirror power controls. I install a power switch in the dash and the video cable goes to my Rand McNally ( camping world) GPS. The GPS is designed to accept a camera. The setup looks like a factory install and works great. Only problem is that I rarely use it. Once I figured out the optimal adjustment on my mirrors I find that they do a great job, camera is redundant.
I did rotate it so that it gives me a view across the front of the MH. It is great for parking or maneuvering in tight spots.
JHSJMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:25 AM   #28

Prices seem to vary as much as the opinions on usability. Personally, mine were incorporated into the mirrors and as some have mentioned are an additional tool in the box. Perhaps not the end-all, be-all but definitely an extra tool to use when you have it. As I mentioned, prices vary a great deal. I looked at Amazon and came up with this start point but I would highly recommend researching more and shopping around:

Tadibrothers Side RV Camera
NadaThing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera