Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2014, 07:33 PM   #29

At first I thought them useless. Then one day I found a motorcycle in the camera that I didn't see in the mirror. Double checked and sure enough both the convex and the flat mirror showed no motorcycle!

So as a motorcycle rider myself, I decided to check all three before changing lanes.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2015, 04:00 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Looking for ideas on Backup Cameras

We have a 2013 Fleetwood DP that we want to upgrade the rear camera on. Watching the trailer hitch (as the factory camera does) is not very helpful when traveling the interstate and other high traffic areas. The two options seem to be - get a double camera or a Pan/Tilt Camera. The Pan/Tilt camera likely would not need new wires run whereas a Double camera setup would require running new wires for the second lens. Has anyone used either of these systems and able to provide me some insight, ideas, etc. Also, if you have used either of these - what brand or supplier have you used. Thanks for your help.

Old 01-07-2015, 04:53 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
My real work in security and install nothing but IP cameras for the past three years. It is unfortunate that the RV camera system suppliers have not caught up to this technology. My MH has several cameras and displays.

The Tadi camera was the worst of all and was the first I purchased because it was the cheapest. I replace one of their backup cameras to replace a sony that failed. It was a poor quality and was not reversed video like the sony. Also it did not have audio like pictured on the website with power, audio and video plugs. after I complained about the picture they changed it.

I then added a special 170 bullet color camera on my front right corner. this give me a view ten feet infront, to directly down to the tire and back to the rear of the MH. It is great as I can see at night or day and over three lanes to the right. Connected it to the Sony display.

The I added an RVS for the rear camera and it is perfect display and vision is great. so now I have two cameras on the rear. on looks at the hitch and the other out the back at the trailer or traffic. One more camera and viewer was added on the back of the trailer.

now I have visual of the right side, the trailer and end of trailer. When traffic appears on the trailer camera I can watch them advance to the rear side of the MH and if up the right side on the right camera.

I really would like a seamless camera system and have begun to study the advantages and suppliers. I will not be running to Tadi for their systems but will look to RVS for something new soon or just get one from Alibaba.
I started a separate thread to discuss the bird view camera systems.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:13 PM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thank you very much for your insight. I too, think RVS is a better choice over Tadi. I also shop on AliExpress (Alibaba). My wish list is the new style Quad monitors. Currently RVS only has 800x600 resolution. They do not have the 1028 x760 that Tadi advertises. If I was really rich, I would get this - Total Vision Products: . Keep in touch and let me know what you find out
Old 01-07-2015, 05:25 PM   #33
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
I have side view cameras. Worthless junk. If you have your mirrors set properly you will not have a blind spot, and if you have to make a quick decision you will not have time to look at the camera. I depend on my rearview camera to see who's behind me and to gauge how much room I have to change lanes when I have my toad behind me.

What bugged me the most was when I cleared a car that I passed and wanted to see how much room I had to pull back over, because my turn signal was on, the stupid side view camera was activated and I couldn't see what I wanted to. A quick snip of 2 wires fixed that.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:26 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkatgifts View Post
We have a 2013 Fleetwood DP that we want to upgrade the rear camera on. Watching the trailer hitch (as the factory camera does) is not very helpful when traveling the interstate and other high traffic areas. The two options seem to be - get a double camera or a Pan/Tilt Camera. The Pan/Tilt camera likely would not need new wires run whereas a Double camera setup would require running new wires for the second lens. Has anyone used either of these systems and able to provide me some insight, ideas, etc. Also, if you have used either of these - what brand or supplier have you used. Thanks for your help.

In 2010, I replaced my old black & white monitor/camera with 2 cameras and a color lcd monitor. I purchased the system off e-bay, from vendor identified as leviathan holdings. This vendor sell quality products and is still doing business.

I purchased a 7 inch monitor that allows three inputs. Monitor comes with camera. Also purchased an additional "side view" camera, and 2 65 ft cables. Total cost was approximately $350 (in 2010 dollars). (I now know that I could have reused my original cable for one of the cameras by cutting/splicing connectors).

I mounted both cameras on the rear cap. One to replace the view of the old camera, and an additional one for a view further back down the highway. I removed the new camera from the side mount housing, and mounted the “camera only” in the old camera housing on rear of motorhome. This camera was the type that mounted in a drilled hole. I mounted the other camera (with bolt on housing) on top of the old camera housing.

I ran the two cables from the rear cap down to frame forward to front of coach and then up into drivers area. Removing the old b&w monitor was troublesome, and the new monitor does not fill the hole. Old monitor was in wrong place anyway. I fabricated a plate to cover the hole, and mounted the new monitor on upper right of instrument panel. The color monitor is much better than the old b&w, and having the view further back down the road is very helpful.

The only difficult part of this project is running the cables under the coach.

I recently added left and right side view cameras with dedicated monitors, and "went cheap" in buying the cameras and monitors. So far, they are working well.

Fred
Old 01-08-2015, 07:03 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
all around bus camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkatgifts View Post
Thank you very much for your insight. I too, think RVS is a better choice over Tadi. I also shop on AliExpress (Alibaba). My wish list is the new style Quad monitors. Currently RVS only has 800x600 resolution. They do not have the 1028 x760 that Tadi advertises. If I was really rich, I would get this - Total Vision Products: . Keep in touch and let me know what you find out
I agree about Total Vision. I tried to start a tread on - all around bird view- so as to keep it separate from other camera discussion but the moderator moved it to general discussion. Continental purchased the major contributor to this type of camera. When I contacted their facility in Allentown PA, the company sales person told me their software was proprietary and would have too drive to Brooklyn to have a system installed. $2500 or more would be out of the question. "no Thanks"

Still looking at other seamless systems and will purchase a few of them for investigation. I prefer to use a higher resolution camera so I might end up with a hybrid system in the end.

If you get any contact info let us know.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:43 AM   #36

I installed my own side view cameras. The hardest part of the installation is drilling a hole in the side of the coach. I was just afraid to start the drill because of the damage I might do to the coach. All went well. If you have a Voyager in your coach already then the cables for the side cameras are already under the dash. All your have to do is fish the wires and connect them. My system does not switch back and forth, side views are always on along with the rear view. I like this because I can see vehicles as I pass them. It is very useful in bad weather and at night although I do not do much night driving anymore. It took about 4 hours to install the cameras and hook them up.

It takes a while to gain information looking at the camera because the view is not the same and it is much smaller. But when the mirrors are full of rain it is very helpful.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...iew+Super+CMOS
Old 01-08-2015, 09:08 AM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Lucky me - the biggest hurdle has been overcome. The wife is onboard with whatever camera system upgrade I choose. She likes the Quad system. So now it is off to the huge RV show in Tampa next week to see what I don't need and can not afford. LOL
Old 02-06-2016, 07:16 PM   #38

hi I'm installing a four camera system on my 2001 Beaver , the question I have is how high from the ground should they be mounted (side cameras only ) any and all help is appreciate
thanks joe
Old 02-06-2016, 07:54 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegallagher View Post
hi I'm installing a four camera system on my 2001 Beaver , the question I have is how high from the ground should they be mounted (side cameras only ) any and all help is appreciate
thanks joe
Joe
Mine are at the height of the bottom of the windshield, but that may not be the correct location for you and your coach.

My suggestion is to hook up your new four camera system temporarily and place the camera's in temporary locations using duct tape or some other strong tape. Keep moving them around until you find the correct location for you, considering how you will be able to run the wires, what obstacles are in the way (like an awning arm), etc.

Fred
Old 02-07-2016, 03:07 PM   #40

Thumbs up side height

Thank you for the input , great idea

joe :
Old 02-07-2016, 05:31 PM   #41

I do my own work, and recently purchased an 88 Fleetwood Southwind, and added two cameras so far, but will increase that.

First was a rearview camera, with infrared so it works great during the day, and pretty good at night. I do not have a toad set up yet, so it is wide angle and does not show hitch, but is aimed a reasonable distance behind to near the bumper. It would show a trailer or toad well, but will not help with hook up.

I have a dedicated 7 inch monitor for this on the dash, high, near the bottom of the windshield (in that line of site, but not so far away). The data gets to the front of the coach via a wireless link.

I have also installed a second camera on the bottom outside edge of the right side mirror. It is also a fairly wide angle (about 170 degrees) and is great for entering and exiting interstates and watching the 4 wheelers who don't know how to use their acceleration lanes while I am in the right lane...

This one also has a dedicated 7 inch monitor, located near the other. I love it.

I have decided that I will add another 2 cameras. I don't think I will need a driver's side one, so I think I may add a 2nd rear facing one, with one for close and one for farther back, so I am prepared for the toad.

I will also add a nose camera, or perhaps a forward facing thru the windshield type. I have a forward facing video recorder in my car, and do move it to the MH when I think of it.

The big change for me will not only be the additional cameras, but adding a video recorder to them all. There are reasonably priced systems now that will record 4 cameras, and while I have not had one with the MH (Nor the car for decades) one accident well documented will pay for the whole system.

So, I like the side camera mounted outbound on the bottom of my side mirror. This places it about 9 inches from the side of my MH, and gives great data.

I also will replace the wireless link for the rear camera (s) as the wire is a pain to run, but the wireless I have also has some occasional interference that the hard wired camera does not...
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:10 AM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Karl, nice work. I have a 170 wide angle on my front right corner which sees everything to the right side. Picks up from 10 feet in front to the rear and from the curb to the distant right multiple lane ( aobut 4). Of course there are two rear view and a switchable engine view too. I have not yet install my bird view 360 system as I am too busy installing customer systems. Just finished a 32 IP camera install at a church school, 16 camera business and 8 Camera house job.

I was going to install an NVR in the MH but bought two dash cams instead. Not certain I like them however.

Tags
camera