Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2011, 10:02 AM   #1

Side cameras, How to turn off?

Turns out, I don't like the side cameras that I thought I couldn't live without. When I want to see if I've passed the car on the right so I can move back over to the right lane I can't because when I put the right signal on, the camera switches to the side view and I can't tell when I have passed the vehicle. My rear picture lets me see if I am clear.

Is there a way to change views or disable the side views? Now I would want the side views when docking, etc so I have to be able to switch between views.

Thanks for any help.
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2018 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2011, 12:10 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Mine works the same way, but when I want to pull back over I use the mirror.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:00 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I don't know how to disable them but I don't signal until I'm ready to pull in. That way I know I have room infront of the car I passed and then I can see if something got between us or if I missed something.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:55 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I fixed mine so they don't do that unless I let them.

The rear view monitor has inputs for both side cameras as well asthe rear camera. It also has a wiring connector that connects to the turn signals. Whenever it sees 12 volts on a turn signal wire it switches the monitor to that side camera. When the turn signal is cancelled it switches back to the rear view display.

All you have to do is interupt the 12 volt feeds to the monitor and it will stay on the rear camera all the time.

What I did was to install a rocker switch that controls a relay that breaks the tuern signal feeds to the monitor. You could just use a DPST rocker switch but using a relay made it easy to run a single wire from the relay, which was mounted behind the monitor, to the rocker switch, which as mounted in the side console.

Now I leave them off 95% of the time unless I'm in tight city traffic and want to see if someonme snuck into my blind spot during a lane change. All it takes is a flip of the switch to change modes.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Ed View Post
I don't know how to disable them but I don't signal until I'm ready to pull in. That way I know I have room infront of the car I passed and then I can see if something got between us or if I missed something.
Thanks, sometimes the simplest method is the best. I'll try using that approach. My instinct has always been to signal my intention and then look for room...I'll need to change that approach.

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2018 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
I fixed mine so they don't do that unless I let them.

The rear view monitor has inputs for both side cameras as well asthe rear camera. It also has a wiring connector that connects to the turn signals. Whenever it sees 12 volts on a turn signal wire it switches the monitor to that side camera. When the turn signal is cancelled it switches back to the rear view display.

All you have to do is interupt the 12 volt feeds to the monitor and it will stay on the rear camera all the time.

What I did was to install a rocker switch that controls a relay that breaks the tuern signal feeds to the monitor. You could just use a DPST rocker switch but using a relay made it easy to run a single wire from the relay, which was mounted behind the monitor, to the rocker switch, which as mounted in the side console.

Now I leave them off 95% of the time unless I'm in tight city traffic and want to see if someonme snuck into my blind spot during a lane change. All it takes is a flip of the switch to change modes.

This is interesting and I would like to give it a try. Would you be willing to draw me a schematic? I do best, (like millions others) if I can see it. You got the parts from Radio shack or where?

PM me if you prefer not to post the schematic.

Thank you,

Roll
Old 04-16-2011, 07:50 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Attached is my schematic. It includes other items, such asSmarTire, C/T unit, etc but just ignore those items and look at the CR2 relay and monitor. Basically, the yellow wire feeds the left turn signal to the monitor while the green wire feeds the right turn signal. All you have to do is intercept those two wires. You can do that with a DPST switch (double pole single throw - 4 wire terminals) but then you have to place the switch close to the monitor or else extend the wiring quite a bit to wherever you want to place the switch. I installed a relay to do that and then just ran a 12 volt feed from the rocker switch to the relay (labelled CR2 on this diagram), which was then connected to ground. I used the same style rocker switches that were on my coach (your dealer will have them) and just relabeled it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 12 VDC Dash and Front Lower Wiring.pdf (10.5 KB, 239 views)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:15 AM   #8

I use a different approach. I watch the rear view camera until I can see the vehicle disappear past my tow vehicle and then turn my signals on and transition to the right lane. It gives me the extra safety of a second look before I move over.

I love the cameras!
sidewinder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 05:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Ed View Post
ditto. Wait till I see the car in the rear view mirror then put on blinker and see if something it there then move over.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:58 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
If you have a "select" button on your monitoring screen you may be able to split your screen so you can view your side cameras and rear camera all at the same time. If you do have that capability I am not sure what happens when you move your turn signal lever.

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote