Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2012, 04:50 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Wife is up even with me while driving (some front door coaches offer this)
Why is this a plus just kidding.

I like the mid door for being under the awning. Front doors have their own little awning but they are not as good.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2012, 05:22 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
...I like the mid door for being under the awning. Front doors have their own little awning but they are not as good.
Door under a real awning is a good point. Hadn't thought about that. We like the mid-entry door because of our GSDs. We are in the process of trying to upgrade to a DP and think the front door will be a bit of a hassle with 2 big dogs. Still, we want the larger basement areas of a DP for our planned full time usage in a little over a year.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:24 PM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deucenut
We looked at the new 2012 Palazzo which has a mid entry door before we bought our current coach. The Palazzo has a tremendous waste of space in it forward of the mid entry door. There isn't enough space for a chair or anything so they left it empty. The passenger captains chair is pretty much the only thing forward of the entry door on the passenger side of the coach. So in my opinion I prefer front door. Much less waste of space in most all coaches.
My Palazzo 33.1 and every one I have seen has a recliner between the entry and the co-pilot seat. No wasted space. I did hear of someone who removed the recliner and used the space for dog bed and accessories. The mid entry is much more convenient and one of the selling points of the Palazzo to me.
Butte64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:01 AM   #18

Hi Bob,
Roadog here, I posed a similar question on the "general discusion" forum of this site a while back and got a number of good reponses. Go to that forum and search it for "mid-coach" to read them and my thoughts on the subject.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:00 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post
My Palazzo 33.1 and every one I have seen has a recliner between the entry and the co-pilot seat. No wasted space. I did hear of someone who removed the recliner and used the space for dog bed and accessories. The mid entry is much more convenient and one of the selling points of the Palazzo to me.
Really? I wonder if that is an option because the coach we looked at had no recliner. Just empty wasted space.
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:11 PM   #20

Mine has one and it is standard with all the Palazzo's. However it can be unscrewed from the floor and moved around and even taken out if you want.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:18 PM   #21

Our coach has a front door and it is not loud. At times I have had to lube the rubber to make for a better seal, but not frequently.

As to why we would not want a passenger side front slide that is simple.

1. We use our basement storage every day. With no slide on that side we have really tall easy to get at storage. When you have a slide on that side the doors are much smaller and you have to bend way over to get into them. Yes slide out trays help, but you still have small access doors and you have to bend over to get to the slide to pull it out. We have the small doors and bend over access from the drivers side and I don't like to use that side because of it.

2. I like the patio under the awning. It is usually smaller and less useful with a passenger side slide.

3. Our coach is very useful when both slides are in. Many coaches with two slides in the front are not. I have seen quite a few where the slides are so huge that behind the front seats the slide walls fully block the view back.

4. No slides is the most sturdy coach body. Slides on one side is still very sturdy. Slides on both side, you take your chances.

All that said, if you have lots of people over all the time the huge room you get with two front slides is likely worth the trouble. Our two slide coach is very large inside. Part of the reason is our coach is 42' long. So for us we would not buy a coach with a front passenger side slide.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:26 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My wife has built a nest in the front seat area and said a front door would never work for her.

Enough said.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:40 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
My wife has built a nest in the front seat area and said a front door would never work for her.
And you know what happens when you walk through someones nest
Old 11-24-2012, 08:53 AM   #24

Geezzz...
What a comfort, knowing somebody else is dealing with one of these "nests" as well.... ;^)

Mid coach door fan here as well. With just the 2 of us, our coach serves us well with one slide. In a perfect world, one more in the bedroom would suit me fine!
-Al
Old 11-24-2012, 09:53 AM   #25

when we recently bought our coach we also wanted a mid entry..the space lost there seems made up by placing passenger seat farther forward...jeff
Old 11-24-2012, 10:13 AM   #26

Alpine Owners Club
We prefer the side door models for one major reason - the DW doesn't have to get up and/or move so the driver (me) can get out to fuel, etc. Large PS window for front passenger is another reason and DW feels much more secure without having a door right next to her when traveling down the road. Security may not be compromised with the front door next to the passenger but the "perception" means a lot. Since we don't stay in one place for long periods of time, being able to easily get in and out while traveling is a real plus. We also prefer going out of the coach directly under the patio awning. Again, no big deal, but just one more little thing we prefer about the side entry models. Yes, we lose the ability to have a J couch or sleeper on the passenger side between the galley and the cockpit passenger seat, but we have plenty of room for the recliner there and since we rarely have anyone other than the DW and myself traveling, the additional seating area isn't missed by us. And finally, being able to easily access the galley area from outside both while loading up as well as while traveling is a real plus. We have had both front door models and side door models and although it may not be a deal breaker if the coach we found that we liked had everything else we wanted, we would search for a side door model before settling for a front door model. We actually went back a couple of year models when we purchased our current Alpine with the side door as we LOVE the coach and the side door was the deal sealer for us.
rdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:12 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
We prefer the side door models for one major reason - the DW doesn't have to get up and/or move so the driver (me) can get out to fuel
All your pros in favour of mid entry door are good but this one ummmmm you could fix by asking DW to fuel while you relax although I am not that brave.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:46 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Just a guess on my part but, since many like the side door for good reasons stated here . Still , There aren't enough of those wanting the side door to make it worthwhile as most manufacturers have ceased making it. If there was a large preference for it they'd make it.
In my case I disliked the stair well in the middle of the coach as the one I looked at was a hazard to fall into as I would come from the back to the rear no doubt could have been better designed .. And I like the " bus look " I paid more for the diesel and the front door says diesel pusher ;-)
With the pass seat moved forward for travel its even with the driver , the floor well closes ,the door window and window beside the seat is large enough for a good view. Is secure and silent But to ea their own !!
thank goodness we all don't want the same things I like to see all the variety

BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door