Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2012, 12:33 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrepairnut View Post
BUT if you want a big motorhome with 4 slides as we do and have then u want front door entry.makes complete sence once you actually own one and understand the whole deal.more floor space and basement storage but of course in gassers u dont have much basement storage
My good friend has the Beaver Patreot thunder 40 ft 2 slide with side entry and let me tell u he loses a lot of floor space and storage with that system and its the only non nice thing about his unit
the thing with the front entry is its dead space so putting the entry there makes the most use of dead space
The fact you're driving a coach with 4 slides makes it pretty obvious to others your thoughts regarding how much you value floor space? By time you get to that 4th slide, the choices of where the entry door is located is pretty much a moot point?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2012, 01:04 PM   #44

Country Coach Owners Club
Ahicks, a 4 slide coach really doesn't eliminate a mid entry at all. In fact, IMO it enhances it. Some of the premium coaches (Newell, London Air, etc) offered it ~ sometimes as the only choice. See here: California Coach Company

Here's a couple of more reasons I prefer mid door models.
1) If you have carpeting in the salon, it doesn't doom it to becoming filty.
2) It's easy to have a "foyer" that's not the passenger's foot space.
3) On a Newel I toured, it had an additional awning just over the mid entry door. Even if it was windy, the awning was sheltered between the slides, so I could remain partially extended (there were also to full coach roof awnings ~ talk about having the best of all worlds!).

Just my two cents.

Mark

Old 11-27-2012, 01:09 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
like dead cats in trees (they all come down eventually) - have never seen one but they must be out there by the 1,000's.
one what?
Old 11-27-2012, 01:14 PM   #46

Quote:
BUT if you want a big motorhome with 4 slides as we do and have then u want front door entry.makes complete sence once you actually own one and understand the whole deal.more floor space and basement storage but of course in gassers u dont have much basement storage
My good friend has the Beaver Patreot thunder 40 ft 2 slide with side entry and let me tell u he loses a lot of floor space and storage with that system and its the only non nice thing about his unit
the thing with the front entry is its dead space so putting the entry there makes the most use of dead space
Perhaps, but I hardly think I would be that concerned about loosing a bit of floor space in a coach with 4 slides with a mid entry, however I suppose it would to those who need the space, we don't need that much.

What we have works for us, and what you have works for you and that's really all that matters.

The location of the entrance to a coach is a matter of personal preference as evidenced by various posts in this thread and I respect all opinions including yours.

Nuff said and best regards...

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:50 PM   #47

Quote:
look lets get real here.Its much more than obvious that front door entry makes more sence than side door and 99% of Class A owners realize this.If side door was demanded and or needed by the masses we would see this as the norm.
we dont se it(side door) as its a waste of interior space and frankly a pain in the butt.iam sitting here looking at my front entry diesel pusher I cant even begin to imagine a side door entry.Its a rediculous idea at best period
What?
What "makes more "sense?" and is "rediculous?" to you happens to be just what I like.

A friend's 4 slide '05 Bounder has the side door behind the passenger seat and ahead of the kitchen slide, (now that makes sense, and is far from ridiculous.
My opinion!
Mel
Old 11-27-2012, 04:42 PM   #48

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Before I became deeply involved (physically and financially) with motorhomes I would see the big motorhomes with with the door in the front and wonder why someone would pay so much money for something that looked like a warmed over bus. Then when I got my first chance to actually get in a DP I wondered why they still had the door in the front like a bus instead of a more convenient location. My conclusion at the time was that they were saving money by just doing it the same way as on buses to save money.

After now having some experience with a variety of coaches and experiencing the awkwardness of a front door with maneuvering around the passenger seat and in some cases the center console that sticks way out I have a difficult time understanding why anyone would want that front entrance. If I am bringing in groceries I don't want to carry any further than necessary. If I am bringing in (or out) a bunch of clothes, bedding, supplies, etc., I would like as little interference as possible. Most of all, as others have pointed out, the passenger seating makes more sense when it is even with the driver. For those who say you can move the seat on some coaches, that may be true but then look at the space you are wasting.

From reading the thread there seems to be a certain level of snob appeal to having a front entrance to look like the majority of the "big boys" rather than simply the most utility.

I am glad we have options so we all can choose what we think best.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:48 PM   #49
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Good post Jerry.

I'm a mid-door entry person right now.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:16 PM   #50

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich

one what?
A dead cat in a tree. Or - and I'm sure the 1,000's of pics of Motorhomes that were just sitting there minding there own business when the walls came tumbling in due to slides are being prepared for post even now. Ha.

I know structural problems were once an issue with slides but in keeping up with recalls (as best I can - RV Pro and other sites / groups) does not seem to be high on the list these days.
But I could be wrong.

Also know some folks can break a ball bearing. I was just saying that not having a structural weakening slide didn't seem like a solid reason to base door preference on as I believe was mentioned.

Be back shortly - gonna go take a look.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:05 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post
Before I became deeply involved (physically and financially) with motorhomes I would see the big motorhomes with with the door in the front and wonder why someone would pay so much money for something that looked like a warmed over bus. Then when I got my first chance to actually get in a DP I wondered why they still had the door in the front like a bus instead of a more convenient location. My conclusion at the time was that they were saving money by just doing it the same way as on buses to save money.

After now having some experience with a variety of coaches and experiencing the awkwardness of a front door with maneuvering around the passenger seat and in some cases the center console that sticks way out I have a difficult time understanding why anyone would want that front entrance. If I am bringing in groceries I don't want to carry any further than necessary. If I am bringing in (or out) a bunch of clothes, bedding, supplies, etc., I would like as little interference as possible. Most of all, as others have pointed out, the passenger seating makes more sense when it is even with the driver. For those who say you can move the seat on some coaches, that may be true but then look at the space you are wasting.

From reading the thread there seems to be a certain level of snob appeal to having a front entrance to look like the majority of the "big boys" rather than simply the most utility.

I am glad we have options so we all can choose what we think best.
Jerry
there are no councils that "stick out" on any diesel pusher that I have seen
The passanger seat is in fact equal in alinement to the drivers seat
the front entrance actually is the most convienient location when u look at travel and living combined contrary to your view
There is no wasted space.There is no so called manurvering around the seat as u like to put it. [moderator edit]
Old 11-27-2012, 09:43 PM   #52

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
I think Jim & Sherry had a very well stated post.
Jerry my pusher has the usual front door and although the passenger seat is slightly set back it allows the seat to be a complete recliner with foot and leg rest that extend toward the dash and that is the only time there may be some interference.
We love ours and I'm sure you are very pleased with yours too.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:00 AM   #53

While the "rvrepairnut" claims to know all about all motorhomes, he/she obviously hasn't been in several I've been in, including my own Journey. The passenger seat DOES create quite a bit of an obstacle when turned around in normal "camping" position. The dash/console DOES stick into the walkway. I would gladly trade our front entry for a center entry and "lose" a very minor amount of space. Big deal, it's a motorhome...

I think there are many folks who feel the same way. It's the current fashion to have a front entry to emulate a "bus". Personally, I have no ambition to be a "bus" driver, nor a "big rig" driver...
Old 11-28-2012, 05:55 AM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
the front entrance actually is the most convenient location when u look at travel and living combined contrary to your view
Yes and the manufacturers make mid door entry because it goes with the living room decor If we all had the same taste we would all be driving the same coaches.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:35 AM   #55

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
look lets get real here.Its much more than obvious that front door entry makes more sence than side door and 99% of Class A owners realize this.If side door was demanded and or needed by the masses we would see this as the norm.
we dont se it(side door) as its a waste of interior space and frankly a pain in the butt.iam sitting here looking at my front entry diesel pusher I cant even begin to imagine a side door entry.Its a rediculous idea at best period
In that 1%, there's a whole lot of gas Class A owners that might disagree with you (FWIW, I've never seen actual numbers but I suspect that at a minimum gassers match DPs in sale. I'd actually be willing to bet that significantly more gassers are sold than DPs so the 99% doesn't make any sense unless you are speaking only of 'diesel class As').

As far as which floorplan is better, I'm not sold either way but we're in the process of moving from a gasser (mid door) to a DP (front door) so I'll have a better idea in the near future. A front door does give more 'living room' space but you do lose some space at the front so the net gain isn't that much (you might have 30" more space in the middle but you probably lose 15" of that because the passenger seat is pushed back) and end up with a passenger seat that's recessed from the driver. I can see that a side door is much more convenient for things like bringing in groceries and taking food in/out when eating outside, or going to the washroom, etc. You also have a door that's much more covered with the awning (With a front door, it doesn't take much wind for the entry door to be in the rain). On shorter mhs, front door does let you have opposed couches (if that's what you want) but on 40' or longer, you could probably have that even with a side door.

25 years ago, I'm sure there were a whole lot of people claiming that slide outs made no sense.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:41 AM   #56

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I've never thought of the front door as some kind of status. In fact, I think it can be a PIA. As an example, I had the Amish Cooling Unit put in my MH this summer. Getting the hardware in my mid entry was easier than working around a MH with a front door. I also read where someone with a front door had to take out a window to replace a refer.

My observations are that many of the mid door models have problems with having enough available weight on the rear axle. That is the case with my MH because after we loaded it last summer for part time use we only have 300# available. To me that means mine is fine for part time use but not sufficient for full time use as I want to load it. I did some quick looking at Newmar front end models and that seems to hold true for them but I could be wrong. There are some other reasons we want to upgrade but that is one of them.

The second part is that the side doors are predominately on front engine models. That causes me concerns in basement storage, especially for pass through.

So for ME...if I found a DP with a side door and a floor plan I liked...I would be happier than with a front door with a reasonably equivalent floor plan. I just haven't found a side door MH that meets a few key features we want in our next MH.

Tags
door