Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2013, 04:10 PM   #113

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAILERKING View Post
Front entry I like because it gives you the feel of piloting a highway coach like a Prevost, etc. The thing I don't care for is the door is not under the large awning. That's the only nice thing I like about a mid-side door.
If you get a door awning, your problem is solved. Although I am sure it doesn't work as nice as a big awning. I still haven't used out door awning.

Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2013, 04:19 PM   #114

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deucenut

If you get a door awning, your problem is solved. Although I am sure it doesn't work as nice as a big awning. I still haven't used out door awning.
As I've said before - half the time my big awing seems to be at an angle to the sun that makes is useless - shade all over the coach - and six inches of ground. I guess that would cover the door but we don't spend a lot of time standing on the steps at the door. And then there are those times when the shade is thrown to the front or rear of the coach and no where near the door no mater where the door might be. If you have the freedom of the boonies and can move the coach to fit the sun - might make a difference. Maybe I just get bad sites or want the awing at the wrong time.

Oh yeah - still love bacon.

flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:27 PM   #115

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAILERKING View Post
Front entry I like because it gives you the feel of piloting a highway coach like a Prevost, etc. The thing I don't care for is the door is not under the large awning. That's the only nice thing I like about a mid-side door.
Our main awning covers the front door area, just barely, but it is covered.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:19 PM   #116

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
As I've said before - half the time my big awing seems to be at an angle to the sun that makes is useless - shade all over the coach - and six inches of ground. I guess that would cover the door but we don't spend a lot of time standing on the steps at the door. And then there are those times when the shade is thrown to the front or rear of the coach and no where near the door no mater where the door might be. If you have the freedom of the boonies and can move the coach to fit the sun - might make a difference. Maybe I just get bad sites or want the awing at the wrong time.

Oh yeah - still love bacon.
I know what you mean!!! Our awning goes straight out from the coach. No up or down ability. So because the coach is so high, shade isn't really gonna be a benefit to the awning. Lol.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:33 PM   #117

I've always figured that the door position/awning issue has to do with getting in and out of the coach in the rain. Part (a small part) of my preference for mid coach is the idea that one might be able to step out to the patio for a minute without getting soaked, or get into the coach in the rain without getting the seat or floor wet.
I'll take buttered bacon on my popcorn!
Old 02-02-2013, 07:44 AM   #118

Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree that the manufacturer's go with the front door so that customers have the "Prevost owner" feel. As a ser. mgr. I spent a lot of time trying to quiet the wind noise of the front door. Because of the noise factor and the rain factor, I vote for the center door.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:06 AM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
I agree that the manufacturer's go with the front door so that customers have the "Prevost owner" feel. As a ser. mgr. I spent a lot of time trying to quiet the wind noise of the front door. Because of the noise factor and the rain factor, I vote for the center door.
X2 the noise and going through the co-captains personal space. And the captains and co-captains seat don't set side by side. They can't look to the side and look each other in the eye as she is setting behind the driver, unless of course she is the driver. The only problem is I want either a Entegra or a Newmar and I don't think neither makes a mid entrance DP!
Old 02-02-2013, 08:35 AM   #120

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I never even thought about door location before this discussion.
We have a gasser, so there's not any choice. All of the DP's I've been in were front door models. Some DP models I like, some not so much. Maybe the entryway should be considered as a small factor in how the floor plan works for you as an individual. Either you like a particular layout, or you don't.

As a side door owner (Hey! Another Subforum) I can tell you the things I like about the front door entry:

You do get rid of the stairwell opening pit in the middle of your living room. I'm always on high alert when my little Grandaughter is in the coach. There is a strange gravitational pull for sure!

Just like in your sticks and bricks, your main entry should offer a complimentary view. Most DPs have this WOW factor when you step in from the front and look at the entire coach from one end. With a side entry you see the opposite wall, and can only view half the coach at a time. This is strictly a matter of visual appeal.

It's been brought up that the front door location is to make it look like a Prevost.
What's wrong with that?
Look at new cars today, they use styling cues from iconic cars of yesteryear. I've been an RVer for over 15 years, but a Class A owner for only 3 months. I've always admired the look of the high end DP with the heavy duty bus chassis with front door, big diesel motor and exhaust pipe. I love my gasser with the side entrance, but if and when the time comes for me to take the next step, I'll want it to look like the coach of my dreams.
Now, If only I could find one with a drivers entry door like my Winnebago!

I like sausage wrapped in bacon and then deep fried!
BigTonyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:40 AM   #121

I don't like the Navigator's seat to be behind the driver's seat....I prefer a mid-coach entry.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:38 AM   #122

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmbeard View Post
I don't like the Navigator's seat to be behind the driver's seat....I prefer a mid-coach entry.
In my journey the seats are side by side. Not all DP's have the co-pilot seat behind the drivers. I know tiffin is like that. I don't think Newmar is.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:40 PM   #123

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
My wife has built a nest in the front seat area and said a front door would never work for her.

Enough said.
Our first rig was a gas Bounder 35E which had a side door and the front seat area was my "nest". Loved that aspect of it. Since we have moved up into larger rigs, that is the one thing I miss about the side door. However, the overall space of subsequent MHs have won out over the nest. Working on establishing my nest elsewhere in our newest rig which hopefully is the final rig. The extra space with the slide outs make it worth it....I think!
Irene
Old 02-02-2013, 08:45 PM   #124

side door

I have the side door on a Beaver Contessa Naples. I like it as I don't track back and forth over living area carpet all the time....get grocerys and have front bus entrance you go thru coach to get to frig. I really don't feel I have missed any space....
Old 02-24-2013, 11:58 PM   #125

Country Coach Owners Club
Just another point to consider that wasn't touched on yet.

I spent several days driving a DP with a front door location (I rented it to take a driving class and take my non-commercial class-B test). I was a little frustrated in tight passenger side maneuvers between looking through the screen door and how small the window was in the door. "Aim for the cone on the right side" "What cone?"

Then, yesterday I got to revisit a mid door Newmar and I was struck by how much better the driver's (and co-pilots') view was - much bigger window area with a lower "belt line" which greatly reduces blind spots.

Just another thought.

Mark
Old 02-25-2013, 11:01 AM   #126

MarkofSJC - Our last class A was a center door. Our current one a front. When we were looking to buy a motor home 3 1/2 years ago I test drove several center doors. Both my wife and I preferred them because when you entered you did so at the kitchen area usually with a hard floor and not carpet. In our opinion it also meant a better front passenger seating area. But on the downside the center door got in the way of the pass through storage on both the Beaver and the Alpine 40' we looked at.

I am so used to driving the bus that maneuver would not be a reason for me to get one over front door.

But of course the reason they make both is that some people have a preference one way or the other. Knowing what I know now after owning both I don't think I have a preference one way or the other. We loved the floor plan of our current coach and it came with a front door. We came within a hair's breath of getting the Alpine which was also very very nice and drove around town the best of any motor home I have ever driven.

B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door