Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2012, 07:03 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350

All your pros in favour of mid entry door are good but this one ummmmm you could fix by asking DW to fuel while you relax although I am not that brave.
We have a front door, forward galley, as much storage inside as out - may even be a little more inside - opposing slides - plenty of room with slides in and are perfectly happy. Had I known that a side door might have kept Annie from going shopping when we stop for fuel I might have looked a little more. Love's, Flying J, AnyTruckStop USA, she always finds something. On second thought, I wouldn't take that away from her for all the side doors in China. We're pretty much a team at every turn. If I'm getting out she is too. Think I'll keep em both assuming the walls don't come collapsing in due to three slides. Like dead cats in trees (they all come down eventually) - have never seen one but they must be out there by the 1,000's.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2012, 12:33 PM   #30

Question Awning

If anyone has an awning that is the full length to cover the front door on a DP, it would make the front door design much more acceptable to all. I've seen it on a few coaches, but not often. Bob
BobThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:49 PM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobThompson
If anyone has an awning that is the full length to cover the front door on a DP, it would make the front door design much more acceptable to all. I've seen it on a few coaches, but not often. Bob
This is interesting to me. My awnings are both useless all night long, half of the day, and almost every time I would like to use them. There is a fresh post this morning on Boondocking of a beautiful side door Bounder that sort of illustrates my experience.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:43 PM   #32

well I'll put my vote down for the side door, When we were looking and going to Rv shows, I whatched person after person walk into that front tv with there shoulder or hit there head, I imagine if it's yours you would learn to avoid it. We also have a recliner between the side door and the front seat? The only thing the side door has negated is a flip up extension off the sink. Good luck Bob
Old 11-25-2012, 09:06 PM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frutza
well I'll put my vote down for the side door, When we were looking and going to Rv shows, I whatched person after person walk into that front tv with there shoulder or hit there head, I imagine if it's yours you would learn to avoid it. We also have a recliner between the side door and the front seat? The only thing the side door has negated is a flip up extension off the sink. Good luck Bob
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-616922896.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	355.5 KB
ID:	29660
Yep. Just as I remembered it - no TV up front by the door.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1809947479.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	340.0 KB
ID:	29661
Oh yeah. It's back here in the living area.

This is clearly floor plan choice. One of the most important there is cause ya gotta be at home in there or what's the point. Awnings - where the door is - are a part of it but if you're not comfortable living with inside layout - where the door is wont make a big difference. There are only two of us and we're both comfortable so if the door was at the very back in the bathroom we'd probably be ok with it. Hey a back door instead of window "emergency exit" - there's an idea.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:14 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frutza View Post
look lets get real here.Its much more than obvious that front door entry makes more sence than side door and 99% of Class A owners realize this.If side door was demanded and or needed by the masses we would see this as the norm.
we dont se it(side door) as its a waste of interior space and frankly a pain in the butt.iam sitting here looking at my front entry diesel pusher I cant even begin to imagine a side door entry.Its a rediculous idea at best period
rvrepairnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:31 PM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrepairnut View Post
look lets get real here.Its much more than obvious that front door entry makes more sence than side door and 99% of Class A owners realize this.If side door was demanded and or needed by the masses we would see this as the norm.
we dont se it(side door) as its a waste of interior space and frankly a pain in the butt.iam sitting here looking at my front entry diesel pusher I cant even begin to imagine a side door entry.Its a rediculous idea at best period
You and I are in agreement, but to each his own. Only thing I can say is, wish I were sitting in mine instead of pulling up pics in my iPhone and using the app to post em to remind myself how much I like the front door - while thinking about going back to work tomorrow.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:12 AM   #36

Each to their own preferences, it looks like. I have a side entry Fred and I chose it above all others. Go figure!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:24 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
I think one day all motorhome engines will be in the back.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:02 AM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I am wondering if there is a structural reason for or against the side door? Let's put aside the argument for wasted wall space. The reason I say that is my Adventurer has an OUTSTANDING floor plan with a mid entry and I don't seem to be missing wall space.

So...

If a 40+ long MH had a mid entry door, wouldn't that still leave lots of room?

That being said, I do see one possible disadvantage and that is the stairway. Certainly that would eliminate one area of a pass through storage area but how much would that really cost in storage? Heck, I don't know so that is why I ask.

I also wonder if the stairway stowage area would affect the design of the chassis in a significant way. Just another question?

The way my floor plan works is if you enter and go left, you are in the galley and heading towards the bedroom and bathroom. Go right and you are in the living room with a nice entertainment center behind the passenger seat. No fighting the passenger seat to haul in groceries, dogs and whatever. I also have a full awning over my door.

To be honest, if we weren't concerned (maybe more so than it deserves) about full time storage and getting the significant upgrades in the ride and quieter DP features, I'm starting to wonder a bit more about what my next MH will be. In fact, if it weren't for the insufficient, useable CCC (OK and that darn basement AC too. LOL) we need for FT use, I'm not so sure I would leave my Adventurer any time soon.

ARRGGG!!!
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:15 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
While some coaches have slides on both sides and some only one in the living room, it would more feasible to keep the door in the front from a manufacturing perspective. This way they can order the same door, brackets etc and overall less changes to the coach.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:04 AM   #40

Originally Posted by rvrepairnut

"look lets get real here.Its much more than obvious that front door entry makes more sence than side door and 99% of Class A owners realize this."

Happy to say, we're part of that 1% where the more convenient mid-entry makes more sense to us..

Happy & safe travels

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:18 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVJ58 View Post
Originally Posted by rvrepairnut

"look lets get real here.Its much more than obvious that front door entry makes more sence than side door and 99% of Class A owners realize this."

Happy to say, we're part of that 1% where the more convenient mid-entry makes more sense to us..

Happy & safe travels
BUT if you want a big motorhome with 4 slides as we do and have then u want front door entry.makes complete sence once you actually own one and understand the whole deal.more floor space and basement storage but of course in gassers u dont have much basement storage
My good friend has the Beaver Patreot thunder 40 ft 2 slide with side entry and let me tell u he loses a lot of floor space and storage with that system and its the only non nice thing about his unit
the thing with the front entry is its dead space so putting the entry there makes the most use of dead space
rvrepairnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:27 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrepairnut View Post
Just because it isn't your preference does not make it "ridiculous." Some floorplans work best with side-entry doors. Personally, I don't like the front entry, so it appears there is something for everyone.

Tags
door