Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2012, 11:34 AM   #1

Side door vs front door

Why do most diesel pushers have a front door layout? The Safari line is a notable exception.

Any comments from those who have intentionally chosen a side door model? Basically why and for what benefit.

Or comments from anyone that has rejected the side door for any particular reason.

Bob
just_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2012, 11:43 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
My first MH was a side door. Didn't like the lost space on that wall. My last two MH's were both slide out models so the door had to be in the front. Liked them better.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_bob View Post
Why do most diesel pushers have a front door layout? The Safari line is a notable exception.

Any comments from those who have intentionally chosen a side door model? Basically why and for what benefit.

Or comments from anyone that has rejected the side door for any particular reason.

Bob
side door causes too much lost usable floor space in the living area.Front door u lose none.In the newer DP A models they have gone to 30 inch door opening so
easy to get stuff through compared to the older 28 inch door way
and with 4 slides there wont be any side door no matter
rvrepairnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:11 PM   #4

Our gas coach has a middle door and we never considered it to be any great loss of usable floor space as area involved is only 19"d x 27"w which we consider miniscule.

We enjoy the mid-entry as it offers the convenience of quick access to either our galley, bathroom or living room. Upon entry an immediate left we're in the galley and an immediate right we're in the living room.

Preference of a mid entry vs. the front bus entry is pretty much an individual choice, some like the front entry which is fine, but for us the mid entry works best.

Would it be a deal breaker, hard to say, as much would depend on how well we liked a particular coach.

Good luck with your decision and safe travels...

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:14 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
When looking we had several lists, Must Have, would like, don't want, really don't want and dealbreaker.

Front door was on the "really don't want" on mine and "dealbreaker" on Jay's. Why?

Wife has a huge side window to look out of while driving.

Wife is up even with me while driving (some front door coaches offer this)

We were looking at older 1 or 2 slide units with slides on the street side so side door didn't affect slides. A curb side slide was on "really don't want" list for me, some of the FS/BLM places we camp are really narrow.

We're in and out of the coach a LOT when camping. Earlier this month I was dry camping north of Moab and I was watching my buddy with a 40' front door Patriot Thunder grilling dinner, his wife was in the coach handing stuff out the dinette window and taking things from him when done, I just take a step and pop in to get what I need while DW sits reading, really don't want to have to walk all the way around every time I go in or out for a soda or take puppies out at night.

We don't fulltime and I wanted a recliner so losing 30" of wall didn't matter, there's space for a shelf over the door and plenty of cabinet space.

We were lucky enough to find everything we wanted in one coach, it took some looking but we're very happy with it. If we ever upgrade it will be to another side door if possible.

Everyone has their own wants/needs, no wrong answer unless you settle for something that you don't want. Our reasons will seem silly to some and I'm sure someone will tell me so if past history is any clue, but they are our reasons, not theirs.
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:14 PM   #6

Our previous diesel pusher had a side door, and we really preferred it. With our current front "bus" door you have to walk through the whole coach to get to the bath, etc. Given a choice, we would do the side door again.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:51 PM   #7

There are arguments for and against both. I have owned both. For me the pros and cons are about equal and so I don't care.

I do agree with no front passenger side slide. I would not buy a motor home with one of those.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:54 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
We looked at the new 2012 Palazzo which has a mid entry door before we bought our current coach. The Palazzo has a tremendous waste of space in it forward of the mid entry door. There isn't enough space for a chair or anything so they left it empty. The passenger captains chair is pretty much the only thing forward of the entry door on the passenger side of the coach. So in my opinion I prefer front door. Much less waste of space in most all coaches.
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:57 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Bob View Post
There are arguments for and against both. I have owned both. For me the pros and cons are about equal and so I don't care.

I do agree with no front passenger side slide. I would not buy a motor home with one of those.
I am curious, why do some not like the passenger side slide? Our MH has driver and passenger front slides and we love it. It makes it so much larger inside.
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:02 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deucenut View Post
I am curious, why do some not like the passenger side slide? Our MH has driver and passenger front slides and we love it. It makes it so much larger inside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshan View Post
We were looking at older 1 or 2 slide units with slides on the street side so side door didn't affect slides. A curb side slide was on "really don't want" list for me, some of the FS/BLM places we camp are really narrow.
Main reason for us. With the coach and Cherokee toad we're pushing the limits of some (most?) of the FS/BLM sites we like, even some of the campgrounds I go to (Canyonlands in Moab for one) are so tight that with slides out on the curb side I wouldn't have much room to park the Jeep.
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:15 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
I had a Class C with a side door (pretty much necessary) and it was convenient but now have a pusher with slides on both sides and there is no room for a rear door and when we are in tighter spaces we don't put out both slides. No problem.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:23 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Newmar used to have them as an option on some models. We looked at several but decided the loss of bay storage and access to it just was too much. Besides, it's hard to put a door in a slideout!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:51 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Western RV built coaches from 36 to 40 feet with either front door or mid-door options. Each option had from one to four slides, depending upon year model. I've been in several of the coaches and have not noticed any loss of storage, and the owners seem to really like the mid-door entry. In addition, the mid-door does not have the issue wth wind noise that some of the front door models have.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:08 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
At most of the big shows, they wanted me there to help with last minute delivery problems. (after 5 thousand people go thru a coach, it will have some problems) I always drove a tow car and drove a unit back. My wife sometimes went with me. She complained about the wind noise at the front door. I always said side door coaches don't have that problem. One day when she was driving our coach I went back and sat by the door. It is just as noisy as the front door, It is just that you are not sitting next to it and so you can't hear it. I would rather have a center door for the peace and quite factor.

Tags
door