Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2015, 06:40 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandGloria View Post
DiMartini RV has a 2010 Dynasty 42 SKQ with rear radiator for sale on their website. Not sure where the Dynasty fits in on the pecking order.

They must have the wrong pic. Dynasty has been a side radiator coach since as least late '90s. Some have louvers in the back access door for ventilation which can look like a radiator.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2015, 06:55 AM   #16

It has not been mentioned that a side rad stays much cleaner than a rear rad. I had a rear rad in 1996 but never again, labor for anything was brutal! Access was horrible.

Old 08-25-2015, 07:08 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
I have a side radiator and I have very good access to the rear of the engine, I can change the serpentine belt in ~10 minutes if needed.

In June I had to have my radiator changed due to something getting kicked up from the road so a side radiator is susceptible to damage, that's the bad news. The good news was that this was covered under my RV (auto) Insurance. The other good news was that both the radiator and CAC were extremely clean for a ~13 year old coach, I doubt a rear radiator would have been that clean.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:41 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
It seems many are concerned about the "global warming" myth. If you are one of them, remember that a rear mounted radiator throws the hot air up into the atmosphere whereas the side mount just lays it on the side of the road where it has no environmental impact.

JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:42 AM   #19

This topic always seems like a passionate one. Before we purchased, we went through the same debate. Here's my opinion.......

Side radiator is better, easier to work on.

I have a rear radiator, have been servicing myself. It is harder, it isn't impossible or so bad that I regret purchasing it. I've worked on much worse. I am happy.

You pay for the side radiator, if your buying a high end coach anyway, you will probably get one. In our case, we could get a good bit older coach with a side radiator, or a newer coach with a rear in our price range. It is a trade off.

The side radiator drive is more complex, if it has a a problem, you will pay for that also.

Its stated here $4,000 to take up the bedroom floor? Really? Like a 35 hour job? I've done it in less than 1 hour.

It depends on the job, if you have a side radiator, and you need turbo, or head work done, they will take up your bedroom floor as well. Not going to pull a motor to do that. It works out pretty much even.

There are a bazillion rear radiator coaches out there. Probably many more times side radiators. They seem to do fine.

I changed my belt for the first time in about 90 mins. Next time, it will be less than 1 hour. Took awhile to figure out the steps needed. Depending on mileage, I plan to do that every 3 years.

We found a nice used coach we liked, it was 3-5 years newer, had a rear radiator and so far think we did the right thing for us.

L.
Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:05 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFNM View Post
It seems many are concerned about the "global warming" myth. If you are one of them, remember that a rear mounted radiator throws the hot air up into the atmosphere whereas the side mount just lays it on the side of the road where it has no environmental impact.

Love it! You da man!

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:16 AM   #21

The Winnebago Grand Tour is a rear radiator coach. It seems odd to me that Winnebago's top of the line coach still has a rear radiator.

After having pulled the CAC out of my rear radiator Endeavor to install a Source Engineering fan, I swore my next one would be a side draft.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:36 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by moleary View Post
I always thought my next pusher would be a side draft radiator. (Less fan noise, engine access) I'm now starting to look at some upper middle to higher end coaches and noticing some are using the rear radiator set up. It always seemed to me the side draft set up was superior to the rear radiator. Am I missing something? Does the rear radiator offer an advantage I'm unaware of, or are the manufacturers trying to save a buck? I still like the idea of a side draft, but their are some really nice coaches out there with rear radiators.
I have a side radiator and would not have anything else. I have a friend with a rear radiator Tiffin that had engine trouble on the road. The diesel shop he stopped at refused to work on it due to rear radiator!! Probably an extreme case!!
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:34 AM   #23

Freightliner Owners Club
Not a big factor.
My previous MH, ( a 2000 36' DP,Cummins 260HP, rear rad) I Changed belts after 5 yrs, 1st time took 1 1/2 hrs+, change 5 yrs later was a 30 minute job. Maintenance on that end of the engine is minimal anyway.

I do my own maintenance.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:39 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by moleary View Post
The Winnebago Grand Tour is a rear radiator coach. It seems odd to me that Winnebago's top of the line coach still has a rear radiator.

After having pulled the CAC out of my rear radiator Endeavor to install a Source Engineering fan, I swore my next one would be a side draft.
You are correct it's their top of the line coach and it is a fine coach at that. A fair price for a new Tour ought to be around $300K but DP's with other mfg's climb quite a bit higher than that. I want to say Newmar has several models that go way above that number (all w/side radiator).
Old 08-25-2015, 08:45 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I have a side radiator and I have very good access to the rear of the engine, I can change the serpentine belt in ~10 minutes if needed.

In June I had to have my radiator changed due to something getting kicked up from the road so a side radiator is susceptible to damage, that's the bad news. The good news was that this was covered under my RV (auto) Insurance. The other good news was that both the radiator and CAC were extremely clean for a ~13 year old coach, I doubt a rear radiator would have been that clean.
Though you clarified that with some "doubt" its all to often on here will that a claim is made that absolutely cannot be proven to make their side of the issue look a little better. Unless a rear radiator coach of approximately the same size followed the exact same roads at pretty much the exact time for 13 years, its a very far stretch to say one would be cleaner than the other. I see this with the gas/diesel controversy or my favorite, new versus used and its usually apples and oranges and can only be justified by each persons circumstances but we try to give advice in the vain that if you don't have what I have or do what I do than all else is a step behind.

WDK
Old 08-25-2015, 09:17 PM   #26
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Take a look again at the DiMartini website, it's a 2010 Diplomat, not a Dynasty. Monaco used a rear radiator up through the Diplomat line. Camelot on up goes to side radiator.

There is nothing wrong with a rear radiator....I had one for 9 years and did all of my own servicing, including replacing the radiator. As stated, as you climb higher in price and particularly engine size, you need a larger radiator to cool the bigger motor, which means side radiator. There are pros and cons with both.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 05:45 AM   #27

I live on a dirt road, 1 mile trip to my house, 1 mile to get back out. It is dusty, we are in the south its hot outside.

When I make that drive, the rear and the sides are covered with dust. Agree the fan pulls it through. Mine is rear radiator, can't imagine why a side would not do the same. The sides behind the rear wheels are dirty, my a/c coils are there and they are dusty and require washing, and they have a wimpy fan in comparison.

This is 10 mph, no draft behind the rig etc.. I wash the radiator with a garden hose whenever I wash the rig. The dust comes right off. Dealer shared, keep after it, rinse often. Problem is when it builds up and stays there long enough for numerous bake cycles.

L.
Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 11:02 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
I will add a couple of comments...

Most, if not all 2015+ side radiator coaches are now belt driven using a right angle gear box and a clutch fan.

The drive system on the rear radiator units is a little simpler and there is less to go wrong but they will be more difficult to work on.

I travel with a small group of friends where two have side radiators and on a dirt road they will kick up much more dust than the read radiator units. This is because the side units force the air into the engine compartment and down onto the road where rear units tend to suck air up from the road and blow it out the back. If you go slow enough the rear units will not create any dust where the side unit will even at a stop.

Obviously a side radiator unit will be easier to work on in the belt area.

A side radiator unit will loose some storage area compared to a rear radiator unit.

Dennis_K is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
radiator