Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2013, 04:38 PM   #1

side mounted radiator

Hello,
Thanks to everyone who responded to my first post...very informative.
I've been doing more reading and find that the side mounted cooling seems to have less problems with clogging and overheating the unit.
Agree ? Disagree? How do I find out what manufacturers use that cooling method.
Thank you, I'm sure I'll be back with more questions
kurtdnellson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2013, 05:12 PM   #2

I agree and mine is a spartan chassis with side radiator.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:15 PM   #3

Generally speaking, when you get over 350 hp and/or near 40' length, the manufacturers start using sidemount radiators..............not seen too often in shorter/lower hp coaches......... JB
pivotdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:26 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As noted, many higher-end DP's with 400 HP and up are equipped with side cooling packs. Winnebago is an exception with the Tour and Ellipse since they dropped the Vectra and Horizon line. Their 'high end' 42' coaches with 450 hp Cummins engines are on Freightliner chassis with rear radiators. We had two Winnebagos and really liked them but, when we started looking for a larger, nicer coach with a tag axle, we eliminated Winnebago from the list since they have nothing with a tag axle with a side radiator.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:31 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtdnellson View Post
Hello,
Thanks to everyone who responded to my first post...very informative.
I've been doing more reading and find that the side mounted cooling seems to have less problems with clogging and overheating the unit.
Agree ? Disagree? How do I find out what manufacturers use that cooling method.
Thank you, I'm sure I'll be back with more questions
Yep, I'd have to agree from what I've read here on the forum... and it makes sense. My 400 HP Cummins on a FL Winnie is rear radiator.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:34 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pivotdoc View Post
Generally speaking, when you get over 350 hp and/or near 40' length, the manufacturers start using sidemount radiators..............not seen too often in shorter/lower hp coaches......... JB
Our 2000 38' Dutch Star was 300 hp and a side radiator on a FL chassis. The Spartan chassis 2000 38' Dutch Star was a Cummins with 330 and side radiator.
It depends on how the RV manufacturer spec'd the chassis out and usually the bean counters had a say in it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:43 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
The very BEST reason for having a side radiator is for ALL the times when either you a repair tech needs to work on the engine.

The cost per hour stays the same but the number of hours to get the job done grows very high when dealing with a rear radiator coach.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #8

It's not the manufacturer as much as it's the coach model. Many builders have both rear and side radiators in their lines.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
As noted, many higher-end DP's with 400 HP and up are equipped with side cooling packs. Winnebago is an exception with the Tour and Ellipse since they dropped the Vectra and Horizon line. Their 'high end' 42' coaches with 450 hp Cummins engines are on Freightliner chassis with rear radiators. We had two Winnebagos and really liked them but, when we started looking for a larger, nicer coach with a tag axle, we eliminated Winnebago from the list since they have nothing with a tag axle with a side radiator.
These were our thoughts also. We too owned a Winny in the past, but when we went shopping for our retirement coach a rear radiator was a deal breaker.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:50 PM   #10

Side radiator coaches may cost more to buy, but as soon as you hear about some poor owner being charged 5 hrs labor to replace belts, on his rear rad unit . A 20 min( DiY ) job on a side rad coach, that's when the savings start.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:25 AM   #11

Dr4film and Skip426 are right on! I had to replace the AC Belt on my rear radiator 5.9 Cummins, it was a JOB! I love my small motor and the mileage I get from it, low cost of maintenance, i.e., oil changes only 14 quarts, etc.
I HATE to think of replacing the serpentine belt, which I will have to do at some point....probably.
If it had a side radiator and air suspension, yeah it has squeaky springs, it would be perfect, specially after I get the new residential fridge put in today
Jim
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:03 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaffeekid View Post
Dr4film and Skip426 are right on! I had to replace the AC Belt on my rear radiator 5.9 Cummins, it was a JOB! I love my small motor and the mileage I get from it, low cost of maintenance, i.e., oil changes only 14 quarts, etc.
I HATE to think of replacing the serpentine belt, which I will have to do at some point....probably.
If it had a side radiator and air suspension, yeah it has squeaky springs, it would be perfect, specially after I get the new residential fridge put in today
Jim
The serp belt on the isb is not too bad. It slips right around the fan and then over the pulleys. The only hitch is if you have an electric fan clutch. In that case you will need access to the top of the engine to disconnect the plug to get the belt on the pulleys. Still not too bad of a job.
Cbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:17 PM   #13

Side radiator all the way. The doctor has it right.
My two DP have been rear radiator and maintenance is a bear, not to mention the radiators get gunked up more easily.

My official wish list is now: Tag axle, 3 AC units AND side radiator.
It's a learning process - the lessons are expen$ive
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:15 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
be careful of the side radiator coaches also. Some of the older tiffins and a couple of other brands I believe had cooling issues with their side mounted radiators. I suspet the issue is that the radiator is a tad too small in those ( this includes mine) Read up on the problem and try and avoid those years and models.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radiator