Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2012, 11:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR John View Post
That was the problem we had as well. Newmar's 4318 is a very close copy of Winny's QD, and I mean very close. We've walked through both.

Radiator location was the very last item on the list of things. Our present motorhome has 100,000 miles on a rear radiator. I still don't have any fear of driving it anywhere.

The one thing that I kept asking Winny about was all electric and now it is available on the 2013.

We make our living from the road, so livability was our top concern.

We looked at:

Tiffen Allegro Bus

Winnebago Tour

Newmar Dutch Star

Entgra Aspire

Also in the running (42' bath and 1/2 models) all MSRPing around $379,000.

Fleetwood Providence

Monaco Diplomat

Good luck with your search and if you get the chance tour some factories.

P.S. To get exactly what we wanted required custom ordering.
I have and am looking at all of those... So what did you end up choosing?

Kathryn

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2012, 11:52 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jauguston View Post
One thing thay could be considered a negative to a side radiator is it takes up a fair amount of space that is storage on a rear radiator.

Jim
Good point!

Kathryn

Old 06-17-2012, 12:19 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just home to LA area after a trip to Yellowstone and the Black Hills and I am amazed at how much dust we picked up on the rear of the coach. I am sure the radiator must be coated. I will hose it down tomorrow.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:27 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
I have and am looking at all of those... So what did you end up choosing?

Kathryn
We ended up ordering a Dutch Star 4347. We rearranged the living room and added a larger pantry to the kitchen. Winnebago is the other company that will do "anything custom", there is always a line that can't be crossed. We have both those dealers close (with in 10 miles) of our stick and brick. It finally came down to insulation.

Newmar Roof R19, walls R11, Floor R14

Winny Doesn't post specs, but the foam in the walls is only 1" thick.Roof is 4" in spots. Winny test their HVAC systems from 52F to 100F.

Last working season we were in temps ranging from 110F to -7F. That was our kicker.

Winny still has (IMHO) the best kitchen ( Tiffen very close 2nd), Newmar the worst shower stall. We're not big people and it is tight. That was our big comprise.

As a side note our custom order came in at less money then all the dealers (in stock coaches) that we looked at around the country. That was the truly unbelievable part.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:36 AM   #19

I forgot to add, Newmar does have all their 2013 floor plans on their web site.

Another member here emailed me the 4318 and 4347 plans and options list. If you would like I will pass them to you. Just PM me your email.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:01 AM   #20

Had a 2008 Winnebago Tour. Nice coach but the interior quality ("woods", fit and trim were lacking). Switched to a tag, side radiator, Entegra- what a difference. My goal was twofold. The side radiator first and the tag, second. Would not go back !! A friend has a new 42 tag Elipse, rear radiator. It is a nice coach, but the quality is still not there compared to the Entegra. We just ordered our second Entegra- six month wait. Good luck with your choices.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:32 PM   #21

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
yes i have side rad much easyer to work on if you do it yourself
Old 06-18-2012, 03:11 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by homelessjack View Post
Had a 2008 Winnebago Tour. Nice coach but the interior quality ("woods", fit and trim were lacking). Switched to a tag, side radiator, Entegra- what a difference. My goal was twofold. The side radiator first and the tag, second. Would not go back !! A friend has a new 42 tag Elipse, rear radiator. It is a nice coach, but the quality is still not there compared to the Entegra. We just ordered our second Entegra- six month wait. Good luck with your choices.
Yeah - I have heard Entegra is the best (and also has a SUPER insulation at Roof/24, Floor/33, sidewalls/16) but is up to a 6-9 month waiting period. When I can finally order at end of year, I won't want to wait another 6-9 months, no matter HOW good the unit!

Oh well ...

Kathryn

Old 06-18-2012, 07:52 PM   #23

Quote:
We ended up ordering a Dutch Star 4347. We rearranged the living room and added a larger pantry to the kitchen. Winnebago is the other company that will do "anything custom", there is always a line that can't be crossed. We have both those dealers close (with in 10 miles) of our stick and brick. It finally came down to insulation.

Newmar Roof R19, walls R11, Floor R14

Winny Doesn't post specs, but the foam in the walls is only 1" thick.Roof is 4" in spots. Winny test their HVAC systems from 52F to 100F.

Last working season we were in temps ranging from 110F to -7F. That was our kicker.

Winny still has (IMHO) the best kitchen ( Tiffen very close 2nd), Newmar the worst shower stall. We're not big people and it is tight. That was our big comprise.

As a side note our custom order came in at less money then all the dealers (in stock coaches) that we looked at around the country. That was the truly unbelievable part.
Just curious - why the Newmar when the Entegra has so much higher insulation? Just better floorplan for you?

Thx

Kathryn

Old 06-19-2012, 11:25 AM   #24

Quote:
Just curious - why the Newmar when the Entegra has so much higher insulation? Just better floorplan for you?

Thx

Kathryn
1: The custom build. Entegra doesn't stray from their plans much. Newmar will do almost anything. If they would customize a layout, we most likely would have ordered one. (all electric was also a top list item)

2: Dealer support. The dealer we ordered from is only 10 miles from our stick house. They have been doing our service work for years. Last winter as we returned from a job in California, this dealer stayed on standby with a service stall open to hurry and winterize. The temps were well below zero. No Entegra dealer close to us.

Entegra is a awesome builder, great craftsmanship. We just didn't want to compromise on comfort. My work can have me standing on concrete for 10+ hours a day in 90+ heat. When I get home I want relax and cool off. We're very tired of laying on opposite couches just to watch a movie.

We've only been married 18 years, so I still like sitting next to her. 95% of our income comes from being on the road, in our bus.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:38 AM   #25

A few of the things we changed.

1: Got rid of both couches. Put recliners on the drivers side,Newmar doesn't offer a reclining loveseat.On passenger side we put the popup TV along with a storage cabinet (in place of the j couch). Now we sit staight to watch TV.

2: Got rid of the midship TV, to me that is just a dumb as above the dash. Plus we don't want or need more then 2 TVs.

3: Moved the ref. down in place of TV cabinet and put in a larger pantry.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-20-2012, 01:25 PM   #26

Quote:
A few of the things we changed.

1: Got rid of both couches. Put recliners on the drivers side,Newmar doesn't offer a reclining loveseat.On passenger side we put the popup TV along with a storage cabinet (in place of the j couch). Now we sit staight to watch TV.

2: Got rid of the midship TV, to me that is just a dumb as above the dash. Plus we don't want or need more then 2 TVs.

3: Moved the ref. down in place of TV cabinet and put in a larger pantry.
It looks like it has the same rear bath as some of the others, I would have them knock out that little linen cabinet next to the shower and put in a bigger shower!

Old 06-20-2012, 06:21 PM   #27

Quote:
It looks like it has the same rear bath as some of the others, I would have them knock out that little linen cabinet next to the shower and put in a bigger shower!

No can do, bathroom heater is under that cabinet. Plus there are somethings they won't do on a Dutch Star.

Like roof AC drains. :kicksdirt: I'll live though.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-24-2012, 01:16 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Guy View Post
Hello 46 years as a Diesel Mechanic worked on a ton of buses and I just bought a new to me used Diesel pusher with a side rad may cost more and the reason is its better easier to have someone work on your engine,rad stays cleaner. The people who build buses for a living most always use a side rad that must tell you something, yes many cost more to buy outright but the cost you gain back when you need to have someone do a simple job like change a fan belt etc on a rear rad for them to do it is time costs money and you will pay dearly then. Just my Canadian 2 cents worth.
agree. at New Flyer we build transit busses and all the busses have radiators installed on the side. the radiators are huge, and it is light years easier to access the engine for work with the radiator side mounted.

DC

Tags
radiator