Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2013, 08:23 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

The fan in my rig (Freightliner chassis and ISL engine) starts running at 115 degrees, which basically means soon after the engine is started. It does that to provide cooling air for the intercooler. It is a variable speed fan (pulse width modulated) that is controlled by the ECM, so the effect on mpg is minimal.

Your M11 is the non-electronic control predecessor to my ISL, but the fan may still be variable speed, e.g. it could have a viscous clutch that responds to temperature. Not quite as fine a control as electronic, but it would work.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Your best source of information is to call Source Engineering in Oregon and talk to them about fan type, controller and location if in fact there is one on your setup.

Source Engineering Inc.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
I will look it over and see if I can find a company name on anything. Thanks for the info.

joe

Old 06-10-2013, 02:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
The fan in my rig (Freightliner chassis and ISL engine) starts running at 115 degrees, which basically means soon after the engine is started. It does that to provide cooling air for the intercooler. It is a variable speed fan (pulse width modulated) that is controlled by the ECM, so the effect on mpg is minimal.

Your M11 is the non-electronic control predecessor to my ISL, but the fan may still be variable speed, e.g. it could have a viscous clutch that responds to temperature. Not quite as fine a control as electronic, but it would work.
Thanks. Just wanted to find out if my beast had a problem or the diesel mechanic was correct. This unit was bought new by my dad in 1996 and has been with us since. He really thinks these fans ran all the time since new. It just doesn't seem right to me but I understand the intercooler needs the air to perform.

joe
Old 06-10-2013, 02:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
Is the coach new to you or has it just start doing it? If you have owned it for a while and just started running on high. You either have a bad connection or a bad controller.

Chuck
This unit was bought new by my dad in 1996 and has been with us since. He really thinks these fans ran all the time since new. It just doesn't seem right to me but I understand the intercooler needs the air to perform.

joe
Old 06-10-2013, 02:41 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselOne View Post
Investigated my unit and seems the same as yours. The situation appears to be 'built that way' on my unit. There is no conroller on the fan hub, just hyd hoses. There are two heavy electrical wires near the the control box but they are factory capped (dead ends) It is my understanding that temprature sensing fan hyd. conrollers are an option at time of purchase and can be retro fitted, but when not installed the default is to 'run all the time' Hope this helps, Good luck.

Thanks. Just wanted to find out if my beast had a problem or the diesel mechanic was correct. This unit was bought new by my dad in 1996 and has been with us since. He really thinks these fans ran all the time since new. It just doesn't seem right to me but I understand the intercooler needs the air to perform.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:32 PM   #20

I called Scott at Source and this guy knows his stuff. Finally got to the bottom of this fan problem that I have had for a while now. The 1996 Monaco Signature has 2 valves - one for intake temp and one for radiator temp. Scott informed me to by pass (loop together) the intake temp valve (bottom one) and fans still ran wide open. Bypassed the radiator valve (top one) while the lower valve was bypassed also and fans turned slowly. At least now I know the radiator valve is defective and was the source of my problem. I have picked up the lost horsepower and waiting to see what effect on fuel mileage.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:09 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselOne View Post
Investigated my unit and seems the same as yours. The situation appears to be 'built that way' on my unit. There is no conroller on the fan hub, just hyd hoses. There are two heavy electrical wires near the the control box but they are factory capped (dead ends) It is my understanding that temprature sensing fan hyd. conrollers are an option at time of purchase and can be retro fitted, but when not installed the default is to 'run all the time' Hope this helps, Good luck.
I have found a problem with my Thermo valve at the top of the rad. Scott at Source Engineering told me to join the hydraulic hoses that go to the valve and the fans turn much slower. That is the test for the valve or I my case the lines were assembled incorrectly and the pressure in was on the wrong fitting. Switched hose locations and works well now. Just thought I would reply as to update you on my findings.

joe
Old 08-07-2013, 01:11 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Your best source of information is to call Source Engineering in Oregon and talk to them about fan type, controller and location if in fact there is one on your setup.

Source Engineering Inc.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Best info ever!! Scott is the man. Thanks a bunch.

joe
Old 08-07-2013, 01:13 PM   #23

Thanks again to IRV2,, The networking info here is amazing!!

joe
Old 08-07-2013, 03:55 PM   #24

Only took you 17 years to solve this manufacturing defect! ;-) Glad it is solved so easily and that you stuck by your guns (that something was wrong). Post later the savings you see as a result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeplazek View Post
I have found a problem with my Thermo valve at the top of the rad. Scott at Source Engineering told me to join the hydraulic hoses that go to the valve and the fans turn much slower. That is the test for the valve or I my case the lines were assembled incorrectly and the pressure in was on the wrong fitting. Switched hose locations and works well now. Just thought I would reply as to update you on my findings.

joe
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:47 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeyzoo View Post
Only took you 17 years to solve this manufacturing defect! ;-) Glad it is solved so easily and that you stuck by your guns (that something was wrong). Post later the savings you see as a result.

I will keep everyone posted. This networking only works when we post the results. AND not enough people do!!

joe
Old 08-08-2013, 07:27 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Good Imfo I think I'll call and talk to him and check mine too. Jim
Old 08-08-2013, 01:27 PM   #27

Hello when I bought new to me my 2005 Beaver my fan was always running hard so red my book which states the fan should only run hard under hard pull conditions so I checked it out and found fan controller was defective and changed it out now you don't hear the fan at all and milage has improved as well
Old 08-19-2013, 09:57 PM   #28

******UPDATE*****

Fan problem solved. Scott @ Source gave me the advice and we accomplished what has been the norm on this coach since new. Hydraulic hoses were crossed and it screwed the valve. New valve and I removed the restrictive pill from the pressure fitting (put in at factory for "some" fan speed at start up for the air conditioning condenser. Water temp now ranges from 185 to 195 and fuel mileage has jumped 1.5 mpg. Found my dad's mpg problem he had since new.

joe

Tags
radiator