Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2013, 05:32 AM   #1

Side radiator fans run at all times

I have a 1996 Cummins M11 450E Plus with an Allison HD 4060 Transmission. The concern I have is that the side hydraulic cooling fans run at all times. I have asked a reputable diesel mechanic about this and he told me it was for the intercooler more than the radiators. Just wondering if anyone else has info on this matter? I have read on this forum that other owners have had their fan controllers go bad and their fans would run all the time and drop their fuel mileage 2mpg. If it is for the intercooler so be it and I will leave it alone,,,,

The coach is a 1996 Monaco Signature on a R3500S Roadmaster chassis,,,

joe
joeplazek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2013, 05:44 AM   #2

My father had problems with the fan kicking on high speed when the temperature was to low. In his case the control was shot and the default is high to protect the engine from over heat.
Some of the hydraulic pumps can draw 70 hp, so yes there is a mpg hit.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:35 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
try the easy fix first. Make sure your electrical connections to the controler are thight. From what I've read on the subject a controler with parts and labor runs about $700. If you're taking a 2 mpg hit (that might be a bit high) fixing it will pay ou back pretty quickly with fuel at $4/gal. The thing I don't like is when you pull into a campground and it is all dusty you fill the air with dust.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:36 AM   #4

Investigated my unit and seems the same as yours. The situation appears to be 'built that way' on my unit. There is no conroller on the fan hub, just hyd hoses. There are two heavy electrical wires near the the control box but they are factory capped (dead ends) It is my understanding that temprature sensing fan hyd. conrollers are an option at time of purchase and can be retro fitted, but when not installed the default is to 'run all the time' Hope this helps, Good luck.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:02 AM   #5

I had the two wires going to the control switch on the hydrolic motor corrode and was not making a connection. Killed my power and my MPG. Cut out the weather-pack connecter and soldered and shrink wrapped the wires, no more problem.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:05 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Are you saying that the side hydraulic fan runs WAO all the time right after starting the engine?

If so, then it's possible that your fan controller has failed.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
I had the two wires going to the control switch on the hydrolic motor corrode and was not making a connection. Killed my power and my MPG. Cut out the weather-pack connecter and soldered and shrink wrapped the wires, no more problem.

Was this drop in power and MPG because the intercooler had no air flow?
Old 06-08-2013, 10:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Are you saying that the side hydraulic fan runs WAO all the time right after starting the engine?

If so, then it's possible that your fan controller has failed.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

The fans run wide open at all times. Seems wrong. But I have been told this is the design from Cummins,,,

?? joe
Old 06-08-2013, 10:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselOne View Post
Investigated my unit and seems the same as yours. The situation appears to be 'built that way' on my unit. There is no conroller on the fan hub, just hyd hoses. There are two heavy electrical wires near the the control box but they are factory capped (dead ends) It is my understanding that temprature sensing fan hyd. conrollers are an option at time of purchase and can be retro fitted, but when not installed the default is to 'run all the time' Hope this helps, Good luck.

What engine and year?
Old 06-08-2013, 06:12 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Nope, it's not normal in any way shape or form.

Your fan controller is shot and needs to be replaced. If you don't have a fan controller then I guess it is WAO all the time.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 06-09-2013, 06:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Nope, it's not normal in any way shape or form.

Your fan controller is shot and needs to be replaced. If you don't have a fan controller then I guess it is WAO all the time.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Do you have a guess on the location?
Old 06-09-2013, 07:28 AM   #12

I have a 2000 500 ISM I just looked and off hydro pump I have two wires that are capped and no wires on fan hub. Does this mean I don't have a fan controller? Where would the controller be located? And does it use the two wires from the pump as control?
brandonklink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:43 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Your best source of information is to call Source Engineering in Oregon and talk to them about fan type, controller and location if in fact there is one on your setup.

Source Engineering Inc.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 06-09-2013, 10:57 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeplazek View Post
I have a 1996 Cummins M11 450E Plus with an Allison HD 4060 Transmission. The concern I have is that the side hydraulic cooling fans run at all times. I have asked a reputable diesel mechanic about this and he told me it was for the intercooler more than the radiators. Just wondering if anyone else has info on this matter? I have read on this forum that other owners have had their fan controllers go bad and their fans would run all the time and drop their fuel mileage 2mpg. If it is for the intercooler so be it and I will leave it alone,,,,

The coach is a 1996 Monaco Signature on a R3500S Roadmaster chassis,,,

joe
Is the coach new to you or has it just start doing it? If you have owned it for a while and just started running on high. You either have a bad connection or a bad controller.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radiator