Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2013, 07:51 PM   #1

Side radiator in DP, model? Year?

Now looking at older DP. Understand side radiator is better. When did they start using side raidiators and in what models? Thanks
fighterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2013, 09:29 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It is all preference. If you perform your own maintenance, it makes it easier with the side radiator. Downside, the side radiator cooling fan is much more expensive to repair, and affects gas mileage. Also, the rear radiator is more difficult to clean, but it is less expensive to buy a rear radiator coach.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:05 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Personally, this would be very low on my requirements list. I'll admit that side rad is better but it's probably not really something that makes much of a difference.

Most highend motor homes will have it, pretty much everything else will have rear engine. I'm guessing you can find 30 yr mh with side rad so year isn't really a factor. I certainly wouldn't pick an older side rad over a newer rear rad just because of the side rad.

It's kind of like aluminum wheels - it looks nicer and it's more expensive so you'll typically get it on the high end and not on the low end but really I don't think most people would notice a difference one way or another.
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:49 AM   #4

Thanks for the replys. My son-in-law and I tend to do a lot of our own maintenance on our boats, (diesels) so was thinking about it from that angle. Nothing major with the engine, but sxhausts systems, risers, pumps, belts, hoses, filters, etc. so was thinking about ease of getting to them. I guess if we had to take the engine out the radiator would probably come out regardless of where it was located. We have Cats int he boat and know parts are more expensive than Cummins so are trying to stay with Cummins. We are working with a $20,000 budget so not sure if we can get into a DP, but see what we can find. Thanks
Old 02-04-2013, 06:53 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Couple of things on the side radiator. First of all try and stay away from aluminum radiators. They tend to fail. We had one on our coach and it started to dissolve more or less. If you can get a sample of the antifreeze and have it analyzed before you buy the coach to make sure it at least has the proper amount of additives that it's suppose to have. Not a guarantee that it's good but at least the took the trouble to keep it maintained before you got to see it. Second. Ours has a hydraulic fan and the control tends to let it run at high speed when the engine rpms are low. If you are driving down a dusty road or in a CG with dirt roads you will be throwing up a huge dust cloud. Also look at where your intake air is being pulled from. Ours is on the RR corner at about waist level. This location tends to suck up all the dust and debris that gets kicked up by the fan and cutting down on the life of your air cleaner. That being said I found that a piece of furnace filter will cut down on the amount of stuff that's sucked into the intake.
If it's aluminum and the coach is 10 yrs old or so be sure to include the price of a rebuilt radiator plus r&r in your offer.
good luck and happy hunting
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:37 AM   #6

Rexhall Owners Group
I'm not sure what models came with a side radiator but, as stated above don't let that sway you from buying a good rr unit. Our MH has a rear radiator and the only thing that I have done is wash the cooling fins (which I check when I service the engine) and move the slobber tube/engine breather aft. Never had any cooling issues. The only real down side I see is because the radiator is at the back it makes servicing a little more difficult as I have to access the engine from under the master bed or from under the unit.

Martin
Old 02-04-2013, 09:53 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
As far as the servicing, I'm sure some things are easier with a side radiator but it's it's probably not a factor in a lot of service issues where you have to access from above and / or below no matter where the rad is.
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:51 AM   #8

Appreciate the information. pumper you made some very good points. Rear mt. radiator won't be a deal breaker. Thanks
Old 02-05-2013, 07:57 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
If you like standing on your head get a rear RAD. if not get a side. Jim

Tags
radiator