Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2012, 07:51 PM   #15

Gulf Streamers Club
Another bonus is diesel generator. My old Gulfstream has a rear radiator AND a propane generator. A diesel generator is certainly a bonus.

ronspradley

Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2012, 08:01 PM   #16

All of the commercial coaches seem to have side radiators. There must be some advantage to them.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:05 PM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Is the shop rate $$$ less for a side mounted?
I didn't think so.

How often is that required? Once a year? Every 5 years? Every 10 years?
Can you change the hydraulic oil for the fan pump that fast?
Does it change from standing on the ground?

Triker56, the hydraulic oil and filter need to be changed about every three years with normal use. Since the same reservoir and pump feed the power steering in addition to the fan I would have to do that anyway, standing on the ground with my engine hatch open. So no extra work. Removing the old oil is the most time intensive for me. Probably about 2 minutes with my power pump.

I change the serpentine belt about every three years also, but usually based upon visual inspection any time I have the rear hatch open since all of it is then within 12 inches from my hand. I tossed in the serpentine time reference because that demonstrates the time advantage over a bedroom floor access situation and the OP might have an interest.

Like you, I do not know if there is a shop rate differential for a side radiator. But I do not use a shop often and never with a rear mounted radiator.

I am glad you are happy with your set up. Achieving "happy" is a great goal.

Hope thanksgiving day is a great one for you!
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:15 PM   #18

Have had both, rear fan first, did not have a fan clutch so the big fan ran at engine speed which sucked the fuel, put a clutch on it and mpg went up. lots of storage on one rear side.
Side fan now, lost storage on one side, no over heating at all, easy to see and work on from rear, not the bedroom. Both require cleaning, side does not get engine blow by,
The big difference? Rear radiator had several large dents in the radiator and numerous dents in the fins. I have no dents jn the side radiator. Richard
richardn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:56 PM   #19

side or rear

Let me add that a prime reason for the side radiator is that as motors get bigger, ISB, ISC, ISL ISM, they get a lot longer. Big long motor + rear fan and you run out of room under the floor closet. Don't believe I have every seen a ISL with a rear raditaor. Just my thoughts, Richard
richardn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:18 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Anyone have a side radiator with a ISB engine?
Old 11-22-2012, 07:18 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't care how nice it is, if it don't have a side radiator I wouldn't buy it. If you do any of your own work it's not nice to stand on your head as you change the ALT. and belts. Jim
Old 11-22-2012, 09:00 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn View Post
Let me add that a prime reason for the side radiator is that as motors get bigger, ISB, ISC, ISL ISM, they get a lot longer. Big long motor + rear fan and you run out of room under the floor closet. Don't believe I have every seen a ISL with a rear raditaor. Just my thoughts, Richard
Take a look at the Winnebago Tours, I also beleive the Forest River Charleston's, as well as the Tag Axle Phaeton's
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:13 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Lots of good points for both side and rear mount radiators.

I think as you look at more motor homes you will find the rear radiator coaches will have several additional compromises made during design and contruction. Sometimes it may be wise to purchase one or two years older to get higher components.

Best of luck!
Old 11-23-2012, 02:16 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Is the shop rate $$$ less for a side mounted?
I didn't think so.

How often is that required? Once a year? Every 5 years? Every 10 years?
Can you change the hydraulic oil for the fan pump that fast?
Does it change from standing on the ground?
Indirectly shop labour rate$ is cheaper because u can access the alternater and replace it in like 30-45 minutes instead of 2+ hours and not have some grease ball mechanic inside your coach to boot.There are no negatives for side Rad in my world plus iam a DIY person.I definately would not buy a rear rad coach.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:30 PM   #25

I have always prefered the Spartan chassis and Travel Supremes (now Entegra) and both I have owned have been side radiator. The 42' on Spartan Mountain Master with ISL 400hp was hydraulic fan and the current one 45' on Spartan K3 with ISX 600hp is mechanical fan on drive shaft through gearbox/transmission via belt drive from engine pully. Love to see what I have and easy access, would hate to have a car or a coach that when I opened the "hood", could see nothing. JMHO
Old 11-23-2012, 06:17 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaroamer View Post
I have always prefered the Spartan chassis and Travel Supremes (now Entegra) and both I have owned have been side radiator. The 42' on Spartan Mountain Master with ISL 400hp was hydraulic fan and the current one 45' on Spartan K3 with ISX 600hp is mechanical fan on drive shaft through gearbox/transmission via belt drive from engine pully. Love to see what I have and easy access, would hate to have a car or a coach that when I opened the "hood", could see nothing. JMHO
nice coach for sure but should be for 450K.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:25 PM   #27

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I do all my own service work. If it's my coach, it has a side radiator. If I found the perfect coach, then found it had a rear radiator, that would be a deal breaker.
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:30 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrepairnut View Post
Indirectly shop labour rate$ is cheaper because u can access the alternater and replace it in like 30-45 minutes instead of 2+ hours and not have some grease ball mechanic inside your coach to boot.There are no negatives for side Rad in my world plus iam a DIY person.I definately would not buy a rear rad coach.
Not all rear radiator's are that hard to change the alternator.
I am a DIY and have changed my rear radiator alternator from standing on the outside. And replaced it within 30-35 minutes including the moving of the air cleaner.

From my rear compartment it only takes a couple minutes to move the air cleaner out of the way. And then the alternator is very easy to change. Been there done that.(May 2006)

Maybe the only con has been with my rear radiator. Is I do clean the CAC every 3 years and at the same time. I also change the fuel filter, that the only way to get to it is from going below the engine hatch.
But a person should check the wiring, hoses, ect. at least every 3 years that is on top of the engine anyway. Maybe a side radiator, lets a owner forget to check for any preventive maintenance on the top of their engine.

If I like the floor plan of a MH. It doesn't make any difference to me where the radiator is placed, what engine is in it or what transmission. As long as both the engine & transmission are in the rear area.

Tags
radiator