Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2012, 06:37 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Well in our case, the only coach in our price range that we kind of liked with a side radiator was the Newmar Dutch Star. The floorplan of the Monaco Diplomat was so superior to all the rest for our needs, and the savinigs we're enough to offset the extra hassle and inconvience that the rear radiator may provide.

Our decision was based on we will live it in a whole lot more than work on it (well we sure hope so at least)
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2012, 07:29 PM   #30

side vx rear radiator

Trap and Jan, you are correct there are ICM's with rear radiators, and they will have rock dents and perhaps leaks somewhere along the way. I like my side radiator and do not need more storage space. Everybody has their preferences. Richard
richardn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:30 AM   #31

Monaco diplomats have a rear radiator and an ISL engine. It is also my understanding that the rear mounted ones rob a lot of horse power from the engine. I couldn't imagine not having the access to at least view the engine while standing behind it.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:05 AM   #32

Our Monaco knight with a ISC had the rear radiator with a soild billet connecting the fan to the motor, fan ran all the time at engine speed. Had OKC Freightliner put a Whorton electrical fan clutch on it. Stopped the noise and increased mpg by a little bit, about 1/2 mpg. Richard
richardn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:14 PM   #33

Wink Towing

One of the advantages of the side radiator is the fact that when towing a trailer the air disruption to the radiator mounted behind the engine can cause overheating problems. It may not be much or often, but it can matter. One less problem, and the pulley on the engine is controlled by a fan clutch that can cause a problem. Mine exploded and destroyed the radiator as well. 4000.00. I'll take the chance on having to rebuild the hydraulic fan. Bob
BobThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:05 PM   #34

if you demand a side radiator you automatically get into a high priced coach and you eliminate about 75% of the used coaches on the market.
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:17 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jauguston View Post
if you demand a side radiator you automatically get into a high priced coach and you eliminate about 75% of the used coaches on the market.
I don't agree with the 75% figure.
vito.a is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:41 AM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
The side radiator stays much cleaner, I have owned both types. As mentioned engine maintenance is far easier when the shop is charging 95.00 hourly rate and last but not least your toad requires a whole lot less cleaning.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:50 PM   #37

Vito,

We all have a right to our opinion. That is what these Forums are for. My opinion was formed walking through several large used RV lots here in the Northwest. It was about 75% rear radiator class A coaches I saw. Other areas of the country may be different.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:41 PM   #38

Foretravel Owners Club
One of the large reasons I feel the side radiator is much better for, is when you need to service the engine, My Foretravel opens up the rear, do what ever to engine without fighting a radiator, some coach's you can not see the engine from the rear, you either get to it from the underside or under the bed, no other access.
Been there etc.
Yes most side radiators cool better than pushing hot air from engine out the back and thru the radiator.
Cheers and do what makes you smile.
Dave
Genset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:53 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a ISL (425 hp, Horton fan clutch) with a rear radiator. I would like to try a side radiator if we were to get another motorhome (cleaning motor, service, etc). I would think either would be okay if they were sized right for the location.
I would like to know which is easier for removing the engine for repair, block replaced at 30,000 miles. I would hope rare but it has me looking at things that I would have never thought about before.
All new diesel Winnebago's are rear radiator.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:54 PM   #40

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jauguston View Post
Side radiator AND side door were both on our "must have" list, had to travel a ways but we found one with exactly the floorplan we wanted too. Yep, you do eliminate a few coaches but why get something you don't want, I do all my own maintenance and it sure is nice to be able to just reach in and touch things.
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:38 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry J View Post
I would like to know which is easier for removing the engine for repair. All new diesel Winnebago's are rear radiator.
I was told that the entire engine/transmission carriage assembly can be unbolted and slid out thru the rear of my '01 Newmar / Spartan MM / Cummins ISC 350 / side radiator. Greatly reduced shop labor. When I worked at both Cummins and Detroit Diesel...the transit buses were always in the shop for in and out rebuilds in this way.
Air Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:42 PM   #42

Country Coach Owners Club
I have a ISL 400 HP Cummings with a side radiator. If the hydraulic controller to the fan goes out it defaults to high speed. When this happens you raise an ungodly cloud of dust on dusty cg roads that choke out everyone you drive by. This also will fill your air filter with pounds of dirt. I've read that the cost to fix this controller problem run from $400-$800. One thing about radiators in general, stay away from aluminum core radiators. They tend to fail faster than a steel core. Good luck
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radiator