Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2016, 10:22 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Curious--did SL ever upgrade from the serial port config for the VMSpc model? Its been a few years since installed after-market, but couldnt believe they were still using a serial port which requires you to buy a port converter to communicate with modern computers....
PS--the data flow gets a bit repetitive over time but like the idea of setting alarms and caution warnings to monitor key engine and tranny parameters....
Mine is USB, which in reality is serial anyhow. There's also a blue-tooth model I believe.
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2016, 10:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
Mine is USB, which in reality is serial anyhow. There's also a blue-tooth model I believe.
I originally tried the bluetooth one, but couldn't make it work with my computer. Silverleaf couldn't get it to work either, so they sent me a USB one, and it works flawlessly.
Rob
Old 04-08-2016, 05:17 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
You can do some searches for a used Silver leaf unit.

RV Upgrades has the best prices on new.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/categ...verleaf&Submit=

You basically need to know what type of connector you have. My connector was on the left side of the steering wheel mounted under the dash, easily accessible.
Thanks for the info Jim! Just ordered the 9pin unit!

DW
2003 Country Coach Prevost #60479
2019 Ford F150 Toad
dwertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:03 AM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
I added added VMSpc to a 15" HP laptop years ago and love it. I run BOTH VMSpc and StreetsPlus in a split screen mode, VMSpc on the left and Streets on the right. That way I can monitor the engine and navigate with a large screen. I place the laptop on the center console so both of us can see it, although it is turned slightly toward the driver. The only downside is if you are driving after dark, the large screen is bright and distracting (my laptop is older and does not dim with ambient light, might be an upgrade coming), but I don't do that if I can help it. I have a prototype of a platform to level the laptop I used this trip and will be modifying it when we get home. I also put a strap made from Velco around the screen to keep the laptop in place while driving. A side advantage is the ability to use the laptop for all the other applications. I will take pictures later today.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:18 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
My current setup has an iPad using Remote Desktop to provide the view of VMSpc. I find it easier than mounting some laptop or other larger device on the dash.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1561.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	262.8 KB
ID:	123483  
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:31 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"wnytaxman"......Are you talking about the SilverLeaf engine monitoring or the whole coach monitoring system?

I have the SilverLeaf VMSpc engine monitoring system in my current coach and ran for five years in my previous coach. I DON'T start my coach until the SilverLeaf boots up. I like having a large screen with all the pertinent data running in my line of site.

I run a small HP laptop, powered by 12 volt, (so I don't have to worry about powering it with 110 volt). I made a mount so it sits just to the left of my dash. You can monitor more things than you would have time to view. I set mine up to monitor items of interest to me.

I find that I can use the Rolling MPG to improve my mileage. I watch how it fluctuates, often telling me I'm slightly climbing or it's windy. I adjust my speed to keep my mileage up.....maybe slow down or speed up.

You can also set alarm parameters to notify you when something exceeds the limits. The only thing the SilverLeal will not look at is exhaust temps, because the Cummins computer doesn't look at them. Instead, I watch Intake Manifold Temps.

Don,

What's the difference between the engine only monitor and the whole coach. When I looked on their website I didn't see any reference to a whole coach monitor.

Ed
Old 04-08-2016, 07:56 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
The system is relatively easy to set up after you download the software. The only thing that I had trouble with was getting the computer to recognize the correct port that the module was transmitting to. It was trial and error, picking a port and searching for the unit, finally found it worked on port #19.

Last year, for some reason the Silverleaf was going crazy and wouldn't bring up any info. Checked the computer and it wasn't set at the correct port. Reset and everything was fine.

There are a couple of good threads on the Silverleaf system, lots of ideas on how to mount you laptop, notebook, or pad. Also how to set up the screens.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 08:57 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
I've been using the Silverleaf every since Martin Perlot introduced it at a Beaver rally in 1996. I don't move the coach until I have the program up and running. I run it on a 17" Dell laptop and use 1/3 of the screen for Silverleaf and 2/3 for DeLorme TOPO USA for my GPS/mapping. I hardly ever look at the dash gauges. The Silverleaf tells me everything plus a lot more than the dash.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:24 AM   #23

Humm, My diagnostic port is in passenger side storage bay, last one, all the way back by Engine? I guess I have to run cable from there to Front dash?
CWTeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:37 AM   #24
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"wnytaxman"......Many companies, like Newmar, have integrated the SilverLeaf program into the coach. It does things like tank monitoring, along with the engine monitoring . I don't know if yo ever heard of the old "Aladin" system that Monaco use to have in their coaches. It monitored all types of things in the coach, including engine stuff. When it started to fail and no one could repair them, SliverLeaf came along and wrote a program that allowed you to switch the Aladin system over to SilverLeaf.

On really HIGH END coaches, SilverLeaf makes an all glass dash with all of their instruments digitally displayed.....about a $10K upgrade.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:40 AM   #25

Don, can the Silver Leaf be ordered and installed directly by Newmar on a new order? Obviously that would save a lot of hassles.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:48 AM   #26

CWTeel--most/many RV manufacturers also install a data plug under the dash up front....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:52 AM   #27

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
Don, can the Silver Leaf be ordered and installed directly by Newmar on a new order? Obviously that would save a lot of hassles.
I am sure it can but the price will be much higher than a do it yourself. In the case of Country Coach, the factory install was over $1K more.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:55 AM   #28

Alpine Owners Club
Silver Leaf

As you can see I have a good sized image of both the GPS and the VMSpc. No squinting at a 3" screen.

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1460134373.268490.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	123493

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1460134397.418585.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	123494
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote