Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2016, 11:59 AM   #29

Old Scout: Ok I will check. I know I have a diagnostic key up there, but haven't noticed a port. I can Call Country Coach. Thanks

CWTeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2016, 07:03 PM   #30
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"wnytaxman"......I don't think it would be worth it. When tax season is over, take some time and download the VMSpc program, it's free. Once you have it, you can design your own look as to how you want to see the gauges, digital, analog or even as a bar graph.

SilverLeaf makes their money by selling you the cable that connects the coach to your choice of display, laptop, tablet, etc. The cable is about $300.00 and just plugs into the engine port under your dash.

You would have to decide how you want to display the info (tablet, laptop) and then provide that to them to make a mount if so desired. Overall, doing it yourself is pretty easy.

I don't like cutting into my dash or adding screws, so I made a mount that used existing screws. I don't care for the display just laying on the dash or center console. My laptop is dedicated just to the SilverLeaf, since it's not powerful enough to use as a laptop anymore. You can buy the little HP for about $200.00. The thing I looked for was a laptop or tablet that had an available 110 volt to 12 volt adapter as an accessory.

So.....after that long answer, I don't think it's something that Newmar would want to install and really isn't that expensive to buy.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:39 PM   #31

Alpine Owners Club
So let's try to understand what is really being asked here. The Silverleaf system is a whole coach management system which includes the VMSpc function. VMSpc is an Vehicle Management System only. Silverleaf would be difficult, although not impossible, to retro fit to a coach. The VMSpc is easily retrofit to a coach via the data port, that is the Silverleaf marketing approach. It is an upgrade that I am very glad I installed and will always have on any coach I have, the information you collect is invaluable. You know how your coach is running and can stay ahead of many issues. The folks at Silverleaf are extremely helpful, and will work to make every effort to make your installation successful.
DrDaveMA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 12:01 AM   #32

Country Coach Owners Club
"Silverleaf would be difficult, although not impossible, to retro fit to a coach."

Not in the least. One of the Silverleaf employees has an older Beaver non slide coach that has "the works". All it takes is a little planning and a few $$$$
Old 04-09-2016, 11:46 AM   #33

Thanks to all for your input. It sounds like the Silver Leaf is worth the extra dollars.
Old 04-09-2016, 03:32 PM   #34

Do you log the info from the VMSpc? And if so what data is good to log and at what rate? I would think it is a text data file so it shouldn't be that big of a file or does the file need to be deleted every so many hours. A Windows 10 tablet with 64GB of storage can be a real issue.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 04-09-2016, 07:17 PM   #35

Wow: How have I missed this unit from Silver Leaf.. Just what I've been looking for!! After losing caps pump and fuel line and towed in twice!! I have Red dash (stop engine) light PTSD. This will help a bunch. Ordering it on Monday.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:53 PM   #36
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"FlaRider"....no logging in. It's a stand alone unit. The unit will track error codes and they can be retrieved, if desired. You can also track your own maintenance and have it notify you when maintenance is due.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 06:05 PM   #37

I didn't mean log in to the program I was referring to to storing the engine reading at set intervals like every 15, 30, or 60 seconds to the internal storage so it could be reviewed and/or graphed at a later time. I was just curious if that is something that people do and if so how much space does it take up.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:12 PM   #38

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
Would you put the Silver Leaf in a "must Have" category?
I would, used the VMSpc on our previous Dutch Stars and now have the VMS 400 CL on the present rig.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:21 PM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaRider View Post
I didn't mean log in to the program I was referring to to storing the engine reading at set intervals like every 15, 30, or 60 seconds to the internal storage so it could be reviewed and/or graphed at a later time. I was just curious if that is something that people do and if so how much space does it take up.
Yes, I do exactly what your are contemplating. I just checked the size of one of my data log files and it was for 3.25 hours of driving with data logged every 5 sec to a CSV file for a total of 2,300 records. The file sized was 290KB.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:37 AM   #40

Can anyone tell me which VMSPC cable/box I need

1999 Country Coach, 350 ISC, Cummins. RV Upgrades is not sure which one I need? Called Silver leaf. Closed at the moment. Which one do I need?
Old 04-11-2016, 10:21 AM   #41

Assume you are talking about 6-pin vs 9-pin data ports? My 03 Alpine with a ISL400 Cummins, has separate ports for engine and tranny--thus uses a 6-pin connection. Later models came with a 9-pin port which I believe combined the two 6-pin ports into a single 9-pin....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:07 AM   #42

Yes mine is older ALDl 12 pin. Rectangular port under dash. They got me fixed up. Thanks.