Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2013, 07:59 PM   #1

Silver Leaf Software

My check engine light came on. So I bought & installed this product on a laptop & I don't get numbers for any parameters. All I get is a red ball for charging & the same for oil. And 2 green balls for 2 other parameters. No figures. No number values. The oil is the right level on the dipstick & the dash gauge barely shows charging.
I selected the Cat 300 for my model.
Anyone have a clue?
I'll call Silver Leaf this week.
Thanks.
Diesel Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2013, 08:11 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Did you look using the Diagnostics tap in the menu bar? You could see a code something like this.

ENG SID 2 0 Injector Cylinder #2 High Reading 4/22/11 13:24
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:12 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Ah, you did buy the harness to hook up your 'puter didn't you? Best bet is to call Silverleaf.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:30 PM   #4

If you're referring to the VMSpc product by Silverleaf Electronics, you must design your own display and tell the software what to display where.

Fred
Old 06-23-2013, 09:53 PM   #5

I do have the harness with black box that connects to the RV & Vista laptop.
When I click on Diagnostics - all I get is a blank box with 3 choices: Clear List, View History & Clear History,
Under Files there are 3 choices: default.scr; default 640 & default 800 - I believe these are for the display size.
When I click on Help - I get the phone # & address for SilverLeaf.
When I click on gauges - it brings up a list & when I click on any of them -
NUTTIN happens!
PS the Black box has 2 LED lights - one is Green the other flashes Red ????
Diesel Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:13 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It sounds like you have not established a connection from the Silverleaf box and a USB port on your laptop. Check the manual you should have received, and it should explain the steps you need to go through. If you have followed those steps and still have a problem, then the next thing I would try is updating your Vista drivers. Better yet, I would suggest dumping Vista and upgrading to Win 7. Not a lot of support out there any longer for Vista and XP.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
It sounds like you have not established a connection from the Silverleaf box and a USB port on your laptop. Check the manual you should have received, and it should explain the steps you need to go through. If you have followed those steps and still have a problem, then the next thing I would try is updating your Vista drivers. Better yet, I would suggest dumping Vista and upgrading to Win 7. Not a lot of support out there any longer for Vista and XP.
If you're running the version of Silverleaf that needs a serial port on the computer and using a serial to usb adapter, there is a specific sequence of hook up that must be followed. I had this situation for a while. If I remember correctly, it was to get the VMSpc software running first, then plug in the serial to usb adapter with the silverleaf cable already connected to the serial to usb adapter.

Fred
Old 06-25-2013, 07:59 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Here is the custom screen that I have been using for the last 10,000 miles.

I use a dedicated 10 inch Dell Notebook that is running Microsoft XP. The software is a basic program that doesn't need any special OS system. I have nothing else on the PC and don't want it there.

You can actually play with the software without it being hooked to your engine however, it won't display any real data.

The guys at SilverLeaf Tech Service are very friendly and will certainly be able to answer all of your questions.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VMSpc-8.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	239.9 KB
ID:	41292   Click image for larger version

Name:	VMSpc-4.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	41293  

Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:03 PM   #9

If you are getting some red and green lights, I think you ARE getting data into the computer. The green light on the box should be on steady and the red light will flash.

Silverleaf is a tool, not a pre-packaged solution. You have to make your own gauges and lay out how you want them displayed. Silverleaf is capable of displaying many more gauges than you could ever use. That allows you to customize how you use Silverleaf.

Read the booklet that came with the interface box. It explains how to make new gauges and how you can position them on the screen. You can even use colors to color-code the gauges if you want. For example, all my temperature related gauges are green, while I set my performance gauges (torque, horsepower, turbo boost, mileage, etc.) to yellow.

Incidentally, even though Silverleaf recommends a specific procedure for getting everything up and running, I have never had a problem with this. I boot up the computer (a very, very old Dell), start Silverleaf and the data always appears immediately.
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:55 PM   #10

Did you click on 'view history" in the diagnostics box?

That is where the codes # and descriptions show up.
RUFINIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:51 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
One thing to remember is that the HP and torque "readouts" are simply programmed in from the HP/torque curves published by the manufacturer of the engine. There is no way to actually measure them without a dyno.
Kind of fun to watch but have no real value.
My set up came with a preprogrammed screen that I've modified to fit what I want.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote