Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2015, 09:25 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Silverleaf

Got back from trip last night, Silverleaf was working fine. Was giving the coach a good post trip inspection when I tried to get the Silverleaf system up it would not show any of the vitals. The program started up and it brought up the trip info from yesterday but none of the gauges are showing anything. Shut down the system and restarted, still no luck. Unplugged the USB, the round connector to the coach and the plug into the Silverleaf module.

350 ISC 8.3L Cummins
2002 Monaco Windsor

Silverleaf is connected to a Sony Viao running XP, I've never had this problem before

Any suggestions?
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2015, 11:05 AM   #2

What is a Silverleaf system?
Old 08-31-2015, 11:23 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
What is a Silverleaf system?
An electronic coach monitoring system; can monitor chassis parameters (engine/tranny, etc) and coach parameters, depending on coach manufacturer and how its configured.

Click here.

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGlenn View Post
An electronic coach monitoring system; can monitor chassis parameters (engine/tranny, etc) and coach parameters, depending on coach manufacturer and how its configured.

Click here.

Brian
There is a lot to read there but I am wondering what is involved to install all the sensors that monitor the temperatures of so many components along with all the other things this does. Seems like a very large undertaking if your vehicle does not already have these things.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:44 AM   #5

Not at all takes minutes. Unit plugs into your chassis diagnostic port then either hard wire to your tablet or pad via bluetooth or hard wire
Old 08-31-2015, 11:50 AM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Jim......On occasion, mine will start up and have blank fields. I shut down the program, unplug the USB as you did, plug it back in and restart. You should have a second OBD port in the run bay or by the engine. You might try plugging into one of the other ports if you don't get it restarted.

"530ktm"......Silverleaf makes a computer program called VMSpc that is free to download. The caveat is that you need their cable to connect from your OBD port to your laptop, about $300.00. There is nothing to install. The VMSpc program reads directly from the engine computer, just like a tech would when working on your vehicle. You can then design a screen on a laptop using analog, digital or bar graphs to look at ANYTHING the engine computer looks at.

Silverleaf was originally known for selling cigar size boxes that had displays with engine info, but are pricey. On very high end coaches, Silverleaf makes glass dashes with all the engine info.

Here is how I laid out my screen. It runs on a small laptop to the left of my dash. It does things like give you estimated HP and torque while running and instant mpg. They're only for diesel engines. I don't start my coach without first starting the Silverleaf program. Rather than generic gauges, it gives you precise numbers, like oil pressure, engine coolant temp. It even lets you set alarms and change gauge color when limits are exceeded.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 01:09 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Got back from trip last night, Silverleaf was working fine. Was giving the coach a good post trip inspection when I tried to get the Silverleaf system up it would not show any of the vitals. The program started up and it brought up the trip info from yesterday but none of the gauges are showing anything. Shut down the system and restarted, still no luck. Unplugged the USB, the round connector to the coach and the plug into the Silverleaf module.

350 ISC 8.3L Cummins
2002 Monaco Windsor

Silverleaf is connected to a Sony Viao running XP, I've never had this problem before

Any suggestions?
First make sure the pwr light is on for the silverleaf. Reseat the comm connector. When the PC comes up check your setup values for your engine. Reset your Comm link. Check fuses that might go to your engine computer. Can't think of anything else.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 01:22 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Call Silverleaf. 888-741-0259, ask for Art. Great customer service.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:25 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I don't know why that did not post. Call Silverleaf at 888-741-0259. Ask for Art. Great customer support.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:22 PM   #10

This occasionally happens to me, too. I'll start the Silverleaf program, but no data shows on the screen.

To fix it, all I do is unplug the USB connector on the computer for a moment, then plug it back in. Wait 2-4 seconds and all is right with the world again.

2006 Mandalay 40E, Cummins ISL 400 HP
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:32 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When I had the VMSpc I had that trouble once in a while. Had to be sure the netbook was running and the VMSpc program going before starting the engine.
Now have the VMS400 CL and haven't had any problems with it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 04:50 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry for the delay in posting what I found, just got done replacing my exhaust manifold.

I went to the Silverleaf Electronics website and downloaded the updated manual. It has some good trouble shooting tips that I followed.

First I made sure that the VMSpc module was receiving a signal from the coach, when I plugged it in and turned on the key there was a Green Light and a slowly flashing red light which told me it was getting a signal.

I then started my computer, let it boot up, plugged in the USB cord from the base module and brought the VMSpc program up. It did not bring up any information. I then went to the advanced settings and used the Sniffer to look for the PID's, NONE were brought up. I checked the communication tab under communications, it was on Com 1. I remembered when I first installed the VMSpc I had to go through the process of checking each Com location before finding the one the VMSpc was interfacing with. Do not ask me why but I finally found it under Com 19.

It is now up and running and getting all the information I had been getting.

Thanks for everyone's responses.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote