Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2016, 09:52 AM   #1

SILVERLEAF or like programs "what are your numbers (#'s) ?"

I recently installed a Silverleaf in a 99 Monaco Windsor 38' DP with the 8.3 ISC 330 diesel engine. I am reading my information from the Silverleaf (new to me) and trying to make sense of all the numbers. Understanding modern engines, I understand what the numbers mean.
My question is what kind of numbers are you getting on your Silverleaf or like engine monitoring systems if you don't mind sharing ? This would help me confirm I am in the right ballpark with mine and lining up with everyone else's with like engines.

I would also like to hear what people with smaller or larger engines are doing too, might be fun to learn some MPG, torque and HP horsepower numbers some of your rigs are putting down, and maybe coolant temps, trans temps, ect.
What I am seeing and trying to compare is WOT ( wide open throttle) vs. regular normal driving like say 60-65 MPG.

Our #'s at WOT. I see up to ~ 400 hp, up to ~1250 ft lbs of torque, both coolant ~181 degrees and trans temps ~175 degrees climb a bit, manifold temps climb too 98 degrees, ~6.1 MPG driving like this. Not good, just not good. lol
Seriously though, normal driving conditions are numbers driving at 60-65 are averaged at 230 HP, 500-600 ft lbs torque, 173 temp, 155 trans temp, manifold is 93, and 8.5-9 MPG, this of course included freeway ramp acceleration and normal interstate driving.

What are your numbers #'s ?

Thanks
Kris

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2016, 10:15 AM   #2

I have a Silverleaf (350 ISC )
Level operating temps

Coolant 180 F
Trans 195 F
Mpg. 9.8
Oil Pressure 60-70
Volts. 14.3

CWTeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:47 AM   #3

SILVERLEAF or like programs "what are your numbers (#'s) ?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutzmart View Post
I recently installed a Silverleaf in a 99 Monaco Windsor 38' DP with the 8.3 ISC 330 diesel engine. I am reading my information from the Silverleaf (new to me) and trying to make sense of all the numbers. Understanding modern engines, I understand what the numbers mean.
My question is what kind of numbers are you getting on your Silverleaf or like engine monitoring systems if you don't mind sharing ? This would help me confirm I am in the right ballpark with mine and lining up with everyone else's with like engines.

I would also like to hear what people with smaller or larger engines are doing too, might be fun to learn some MPG, torque or horsepower numbers some of your rigs are putting down, and maybe coolant temps.
What I am seeing and trying to compare is WOT ( wide open throttle) vs. regular normal driving like say 60-65 MPG.

Our #'s at WOT. I see up to ~ 400 hp, up to ~1250 ft lbs of torque, both coolant ~181 degrees and trans temps ~175 degrees climb a bit, manifold temps climb too 98 degrees, ~6.1 MPG driving like this. Not good, just not good. lol
Seriously though, normal driving conditions are numbers driving at 60-65 are averaged at 230 HP, 500-600 ft lbs torque, 173 temp, 155 trans temp, manifold is 93, and 8.5-9 MPG, this of course included freeway ramp acceleration and normal interstate driving.

What are your numbers #'s ?

Thanks
Kris

Hey Kris,

I applaud your use of the Silverleaf. Watching it will make you a better driver.

I don't have a Silverleaf but the Aladdin in my coach provides many of the same numbers, also taking from the engine ECM. I consider the hp & torque numbers to be unnecessary because they are calculated using the max hp & torque speced by Cummins. They are calculated using parameters measured by the ECM.

Here are the items I typically watch:
1. RPM. Instructive to watch shift points under varying throttle conditions.
2. Gear selected/attained.
3. Temps. Both engine/transmission.
4. Boost pressure. As it goes up rolling mpg goes down. Also engine heat starts up.
5. Oil pressure. You should know what is typical under a cold start, steady at cruising rpm, hot idle.
6. Charging voltage.
7. Rolling mpg.
8. Intake temp. Temp should be stable at no more than 20-30 degrees above ambient before shutdown.

Number 8 is actually on a secondary screen & I usually only look at it when coming off a hard pull if I'm going to shut down soon. I occasionally look at gal per hour consumed. MPH is also shown on the main screen but I don't typically look at it. % load is on the screen also but I don't use it. I get MPH from my GPS screen. About the only parameter that is easy to overlook or get wrong is tire revs per mile. If you change tire sizes or manufacturer and don't up date that setting, your calculated MPG will be in error. Road speed and distance traveled will be incorrect also. I have found that the MPG calculated is right on with my manual calculations. If you run a generator of course, that affects gal used. Also hydronic heat if used.

Under light/moderate throttle my transmission will shift to 6th at 55-57 mph. I typically cruise at 62-65 which puts my rpm at 1420-1450. If I'm facing a multi mile up grade of 6% or greater, I will start the climb up close to the current speed limit with my RPMs at 1600 or higher. When on the climb, I will down shift as necessary to keep my RPMs above 1600. My hp peak is at 1800. If I do those things, my engine temp will seldom get above 190. If I let the transmission select the downshift point, l may get behind the curve and lose my momentum. This may see engine temps top 200. Also top the grade 8-10 mph slower. The Allison can't know conditions ahead so shifting early manually if the grade is long will serve you well.

Watching your Silverleaf will serve you well and be very instructive. You will quickly pick a few data points that you watch all the time. Just occasionally scan the others so you don't miss any pending problem. If say charging voltage drops a few tenths or 1/2 a volt, it might signal looming alternator failure or a belt slipping.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 09:32 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Here's a screenshot of actual data, taken while driving down the road in the middle of a trip.

Data I look at the most I have in purple, and are closest to line of sight so it's easy to spot while driving. The middle of the display are green/yellow/red dot indicators that are easy to glance and see status that everything is good, but also have the details if I want.

I have a number of warning messages predefined, and if those ever get triggered they pop up in the box called warning messages below. (Going to add an audio message to some, just haven't had the time to record them yet). Error message box is if the engine or transmission ever spit out an error code, they'll get recorded there.

Far left, are fuel gauges. Left in tank/miles to go on the tank, then my 'day' data, as well as 'trip' data.

This chart is a little downlevel, as I have since cleaned up the bottom right corner and organized the tire pressure and TST alarm trigger pressures differently. Same data, just simpler and reads easier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dave5.png
Views:	48
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	128329  
Kiawah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 09:46 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Fun to watch the hp/torque though even if it doesn't mean much in real terms.

On our 2002 DSDP with ISC 350 (350/1050) and Banks kit (435/1200) the VMSpc would show up to 18 mpg on the flats, but the overall average was between 7.5 and 8.0. I also used it to read the transmission gear attained since the selector only showed what was selected
On the present rig our VMS 400 CL will show up to 14 or 15 mpg on the flats and the overall average is 7.6 for 45,000 miles. Present rig has dual windows on the transmission pad so I get selected and attained.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 10:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
HP and torque shown on the Silverleaf are not measured in any way. It's simpley programmed in to the Silverleaf from the power curves published by the engine manufacturer. Fun to watch though.

On our 2002 DSDP with ISC 350 (350/1050) and Banks kit (435/1200) the VMSpc would show up to 18 mpg on the flats, but the overall average was between 7.5 and 8.0. I also used it to read the transmission gear attained since the selector only showed what was selected
On the present rig our VMS 400 CL will show up to 14 or 15 mpg on the flats and the overall average is 7.6 for 45,000 miles. Present rig has dual windows on the transmission pad so I get selected and attained.

Good to know ........

Nice screen shot Kiawah. That is much easier to read that what I have. I haven't had a chance to cusomize yet. But that's easy on the eyes.