Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2015, 06:34 PM   #1

Silverleaf versus Scangauged

Greetings!

Anyone found a feature comparison between the Silverleaf and the ScangaugeD?

I think the Scangauge D has what I am looking for. But I must be missing something about Silverleaf as it is 2-3 times the price if you look at the total cost of a Silverleaf.

L.

Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2015, 09:25 PM   #2

Silverleaf versus Scangauged

Apples and oranges. Silverleaf is a complete vehicle monitoring system that allows you to configure the laptop computer screen almost any way you want to. It can display dozens of different performance data parameters at once.

Scangauge only shows one or two parameters at a time on a very small screen.

'06 Mandalay 40E

Old 10-20-2015, 09:47 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I know nothing about the Silverleaf.
I do know I bought a scan gauge d and it took all of 30 seconds to plug it in.
I have a bunch of readings to choose from and it shows any 4 I choose.
I like that.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:20 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The difference is.......the Silverleaf can display EVERY parameter that the engine ECM looks at. Here's what mine displays, but I could add another 10 parameters/gauges if I wanted.

Some are running the info on a tablet. I like the ease of use of the small notebook. I have a friend who found the same notebook on Ebay for $200. Add the cable for $300. Many already have a tablet or notebook.

Yes, it's more expensive than the Scangauge, but the difference in the display is like the difference between a 1990's flip phone and a new IPhone.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 12:38 AM   #5

No doubt the Silverleaf is superior to the Scangauge with the large visual on a laptop as well as more data. I purchased the Scanguage because I felt having a laptop or even a tablet would be a little cumbersome. I'm sure Don and others have devised a little table or holder to make this more user friendly. Bottom line they both give you valuable data and can read fault codes and reset your check engine light.
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 02:25 AM   #6

What about Ultra Gauge, anyone tried it? It looks like you can customize it any way you want.
Old 10-21-2015, 03:20 AM   #7

Thanks everyone!

So, I get the better display for Silverleaf, and I get more custom. But it sounds like, you can see all the same stuff (I get only a few at a time on ScangaugeD). Seems the functionality is the same, its all about display?

I'm looking for utility, if I experience a problem, I can move around and see what's going on and sorta, maybe, get some clues I think that does it for me.

L.
Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:13 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
What about Ultra Gauge, anyone tried it? It looks like you can customize it any way you want.
The UltraGauge is nice, and I've used them in my cars for the past 2-3 years (and my previous SOB gas motorhome). However, the UltraGauge is for gas engines and the OP asked about the Scangauge-D... D-Diesel.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:23 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by noserider View Post
No doubt the Silverleaf is superior to the Scangauge with the large visual on a laptop as well as more data. I purchased the Scanguage because I felt having a laptop or even a tablet would be a little cumbersome. I'm sure Don and others have devised a little table or holder to make this more user friendly. Bottom line they both give you valuable data and can read fault codes and reset your check engine light.

X2!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:37 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd in S.C. View Post
Thanks everyone!
So, I get the better display for Silverleaf, and I get more custom. But it sounds like, you can see all the same stuff (I get only a few at a time on ScangaugeD). Seems the functionality is the same, its all about display?

I'm looking for utility, if I experience a problem, I can move around and see what's going on and sorta, maybe, get some clues I think that does it for me.

L.
That's it exactly Lloyd. I have a ScangaugeD and it works great. I have it set to show boost pressure, water temp, instant mileage and average mileage since the last reset. However, a push of a button lets you scan through the other readings at will. Like if we are in the mountains, I'll change the average mileage to show the transmission temp. I considered a Silverleaf, but also decided it was too much for me to keep up with at one time.
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 08:11 AM   #11

I purchased the scangusge and used it for about a year. It was a bit hard for my eyes to read. I have the silverleaf now and love it. I threw the scanguagei into the tool box and don't miss it one bit
wildirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 10:24 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I've been using the SilverLeaf VMSpc since it was first introduced at a Beaver Rally in 1998. I wouldn't be without it. One good thing is all updates are FREE. I use it on a 17" laptop and split the screen with DeLorme's TOPO GPS. Works great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1065.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	110138  
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:20 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This is a question for both Silverleaf & Scangauge owners.
Can you set alarms for every parameter?

My biggest concern would be getting distracted trying to read a bunch of values on the Silverleaf. I think driving a RV is much less tolerant to a distracted driver.

To me the best thing is never needing to look at the readings and relying on the alarms to notify you.

For the Silverleaf, can you set the display to analog dial gauges?
With the older style analog gauges, many people would rotate the gauge so that all the needles pointed at 12 o'clock for the normal value. This makes it easier to quickly look at all the gauges just to see that all needles are pointing up.

Regards,

Dan
Old 10-22-2015, 12:42 PM   #14

I don't believe you can use analog style gauges on the silverleaf. However you can use alarms and use colors on the gauges - green yellow red. The gauges are easy to glance at and read.

wildirishman is offline   Reply With Quote