Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-12-2014, 04:01 PM   #43
Senior Member
 
SWag's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Cypress, Texas
Posts: 869
Marc,

I did all my research on the system back in February, at that time the app for iPad was not customizable at all. I'm an Apple user and wanted to use one of my iPads for this application but the PC route was clearly more functional. I hated the thought of having to buy a PC or Windows based tablet but to get what I wanted I was stuck.

The Surface tablet has a USB port and another dedicated power port so I wasn't running into the problem with a shared USB port that others were experiencing so USB was fine for me. Wifi wasn't an option as you had to re-link the tablet after shutting down the engine but at the end of the day, I had no choice but to go the USB route as that is the only interface available if you want to use the integrated Pressure Pro TPMS. I've been very pleased with the USB interface, probably the most reliable in the long run and the Pressure Pro system works very well, nice to have the integrated TPMS without the additional display on the dash.

Scott
__________________

__________________
Scott & Lise
2015 Dutch Star 4381 - HWH Active Air, SilverLeaf Glass Dash & Total Coach (For Sale)
2011 Chevy Traverse w/Blue Ox Aventa and M&G Brake
SWag is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2014, 04:35 PM   #44
Senior Member
 
BobGed's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Carson City, NV
Posts: 1,942
I have been running the VMSpc program on my 10" laptop for years, and just recently switched to a HP Omni 10 tablet. Like Scott's Surface the Omni does not use the USB port for charging, but I did need a micro to standard size USB adapter.

As others have stated the big difference between the PC version and the App is you can graphically layout all of the parameters you want to monitor on the screen with the PC version. The App just shows them as line items that you have to scroll through.

If some one has a laptop running in the coach for other reasons, you could get the PC layout to show and be functional on your non Windows tablet by using the Splashtop program Splashtop is the #1 Remote Desktop Solution for Mobile Devices, over 15 Million Users I tried it on my iPad and it worked fine (see attached pic), however I prefer to use my iPad for my navigation program.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Splashtop 001.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	62696  
__________________

__________________
Bob, Sherron & Kinsey (Goldendoodle)
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:36 PM   #45
Registered User
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Varies Depending on The Weather
Posts: 8,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhusak View Post

Richard..
I read the entire thread.. But didn't see that.. Don't you hate when that happens?
Really getting old I guess..
BTW Do you feel this is much better than a scangauge D?
Ron Husak
Ron,

The VMSpc is WAAAY better than a ScanGauge D.

There is NO comparison!

I can visually scan my screen quickly for the information I need versus having to scan through a gauge to get to the proper screen and information.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
__________________
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:41 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus
 
RickO's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Litchfield Park, Arizona
Posts: 10,530
We use an old HP Netbook on a dash mount and share it between VMSPc and MS Streets & Trips.

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04114.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	257.4 KB
ID:	62697  
__________________
Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:50 PM   #47
Senior Member
 
adonh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Missouri City, TX
Posts: 1,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWag View Post
Marc,

I did all my research on the system back in February, at that time the app for iPad was not customizable at all. I'm an Apple user and wanted to use one of my iPads for this application but the PC route was clearly more functional. I hated the thought of having to buy a PC or Windows based tablet but to get what I wanted I was stuck.

The Surface tablet has a USB port and another dedicated power port so I wasn't running into the problem with a shared USB port that others were experiencing so USB was fine for me. Wifi wasn't an option as you had to re-link the tablet after shutting down the engine but at the end of the day, I had no choice but to go the USB route as that is the only interface available if you want to use the integrated Pressure Pro TPMS. I've been very pleased with the USB interface, probably the most reliable in the long run and the Pressure Pro system works very well, nice to have the integrated TPMS without the additional display on the dash.

Scott
I have an original "Surface Tablet" not surface pro or Surface Pro 2. Would this work or would I need the later Surface Pro models. Thanks
__________________
Don
2003 Forest River Cardinal Platinum 37' 5th Wheel
1976 31' Airstream
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:54 PM   #48
Senior Member
 
adonh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Missouri City, TX
Posts: 1,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWag View Post
Don, do a search for "vmsair" on your iPhone apps, the app is called VMS for iPhone and is free.
Thanks, Found it and installed on iPhone. Now do I need the VMSpc black box with Bluetooth/WiFi that needs to be ordered direst from Silverleaf.
__________________
Don
2003 Forest River Cardinal Platinum 37' 5th Wheel
1976 31' Airstream
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:56 PM   #49
Senior Member
 
SWag's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Cypress, Texas
Posts: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
I have an original "Surface Tablet" not surface pro or Surface Pro 2. Would this work or would I need the later Surface Pro models. Thanks
Don, the original Surface tablet will not work because it runs the RT version of Windows. This should help:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VMSpc.png
Views:	59
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	62700  
__________________
Scott & Lise
2015 Dutch Star 4381 - HWH Active Air, SilverLeaf Glass Dash & Total Coach (For Sale)
2011 Chevy Traverse w/Blue Ox Aventa and M&G Brake
SWag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:23 PM   #50
Senior Member
 
adonh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Missouri City, TX
Posts: 1,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
I have been running the VMSpc program on my 10" laptop for years, and just recently switched to a HP Omni 10 tablet. Like Scott's Surface the Omni does not use the USB port for charging, but I did need a micro to standard size USB adapter.

As others have stated the big difference between the PC version and the App is you can graphically layout all of the parameters you want to monitor on the screen with the PC version. The App just shows them as line items that you have to scroll through.

If some one has a laptop running in the coach for other reasons, you could get the PC layout to show and be functional on your non Windows tablet by using the Splashtop program Splashtop is the #1 Remote Desktop Solution for Mobile Devices, over 15 Million Users I tried it on my iPad and it worked fine (see attached pic), however I prefer to use my iPad for my navigation program.
OK this sounds very interesting. How does it work on an iPad as example. Thanks
__________________
Don
2003 Forest River Cardinal Platinum 37' 5th Wheel
1976 31' Airstream
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:46 PM   #51
Senior Member
 
DegoRed's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
As for Bluetooth vs Wi-Fi, I have other devices that work simultaneously on Bluetooth. Are you sure you couldn't have one Bluetooth link between your VMS and your tablet, and another from your phone to your dash radio? I know you can't do this with Wi-Fi but it seems to me you could with Bluetooth.
I had this exact conversation today with Corey, his answer without even a pause was no. We discussed it in depth and its just too complicated, while you can be synced with several devices for automatic connection, at some point you can only have one device active in the data stream utilizing the Bluetooth controller in your phone/tablet.
__________________
2010 Fleetwood Discovery 40X
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:08 PM   #52
Senior Member
 
DegoRed's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
Thanks, Found it and installed on iPhone. Now do I need the VMSpc black box with Bluetooth/WiFi that needs to be ordered direst from Silverleaf.
Yes, you just need to order the system for Bluetooth directly from Silverleaf. They told me the part # was PM540.

Please call first and have a discussion with them. I only talked with them about Android did not discuss anything CrApple. My guess is that it will work the same, but would not hurt to have the conversation just in case.
__________________
2010 Fleetwood Discovery 40X
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:27 PM   #53
Senior Member
 
BobGed's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Carson City, NV
Posts: 1,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
OK this sounds very interesting. How does it work on an iPad as example. Thanks
Don, it has been a while since I had this setup, but I'll do the best I can to explain it.

You will need to have Splashtop installed on both your laptop and iPad. There's a syncing process to go through that I don't remember the details of, but it was very easy to get it up and running.

Of course the laptop needs to be connected to the Silverleaf JIB (mine was via USB). You do your screen design layout on the laptop. Once you're done and start the Splashtop program, the same layout will appear on the iPad. If you look at the pic I posted you'll see an overlay of a mouse pointer and one mouse with the left button shaded, and another one with the right button shaded. You move the pointer around the screen with your finger. The mouse buttons are activated by pressing them with your finger.

So for example when you have filled your fuel tank and want to reset it, you would move the pointer to the Fuel Tank gauge, press the left mouse button to select that gauge, then the right mouse button which will bring up a menu. Move the pointer to Fill Tank and press the left mouse button, which will reset the gauge to a full tank.

You can use the same procedures to reset any mileage gauges you might have setup.

HTH,
Bob
__________________
Bob, Sherron & Kinsey (Goldendoodle)
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:19 PM   #54
Senior Member
 
PDR John's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,627
For Apple products you have to use the wifi jib. I just went through this a month ago.

Silverleaf doesn't support Apple Bluetooth.

It will run on any laptop or Iphone/Ipad, all at once. I've had my Iphone and Ipad reading at the same time.

Bluetooth is only for Microsoft products.
__________________
2013 DSDP 4347, all electric, 450 H.P. ISL
Air & hydraulic leveling
14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland toad
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:52 PM   #55
Senior Member
 
adonh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Missouri City, TX
Posts: 1,306
I spoke to Silverleaf today about the VMSpc for my 2005 Cat C7 engine and Freightliner chassis set up. They told they have had some issues with 2004 and 2005 Cat and Cummins engines working properly with the VMSpc. Has anyone had problems with a 2005 Cat C& Freightliner, thanks
__________________
Don
2003 Forest River Cardinal Platinum 37' 5th Wheel
1976 31' Airstream
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:47 PM   #56
Senior Member
 
adonh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Missouri City, TX
Posts: 1,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
I spoke to Silverleaf today about the VMSpc for my 2005 Cat C7 engine and Freightliner chassis set up. They told they have had some issues with 2004 and 2005 Cat and Cummins engines working properly with the VMSpc. Has anyone had problems with a 2005 Cat C& Freightliner, thanks
I am beginning to think that I misunderstood the person I was talking to at Silverleaf. I spoke to them initially about the Bluetooth VMSpc box option. So I think what he was referring to was the 2005 cat engine have problems with Bluetooth and WiFi. I will need to call back.
__________________

__________________
Don
2003 Forest River Cardinal Platinum 37' 5th Wheel
1976 31' Airstream
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Installing VMSpc using inexpensive Windows Tablet JeepTJ5 Monaco Owner's Forum 170 12-08-2014 07:39 PM
SilverLeaf Readings shamrock481 Class A Motorhome Discussions 3 04-13-2014 10:22 PM
Silverleaf Fuel Indicator always reads full? Affinityfan RV Systems & Appliances 8 03-18-2014 09:09 AM
Anyone operating the VMS-Air by Silverleaf? Adam Hunter Monaco Owner's Forum 8 11-10-2013 09:19 AM
Silverleaf vs. Coach Gauges Michaels Class A Motorhome Discussions 5 07-01-2013 06:04 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.