Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2014, 04:01 PM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Marc,

I did all my research on the system back in February, at that time the app for iPad was not customizable at all. I'm an Apple user and wanted to use one of my iPads for this application but the PC route was clearly more functional. I hated the thought of having to buy a PC or Windows based tablet but to get what I wanted I was stuck.

The Surface tablet has a USB port and another dedicated power port so I wasn't running into the problem with a shared USB port that others were experiencing so USB was fine for me. Wifi wasn't an option as you had to re-link the tablet after shutting down the engine but at the end of the day, I had no choice but to go the USB route as that is the only interface available if you want to use the integrated Pressure Pro TPMS. I've been very pleased with the USB interface, probably the most reliable in the long run and the Pressure Pro system works very well, nice to have the integrated TPMS without the additional display on the dash.

Scott

SWag is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2014, 04:35 PM   #44

Tiffin Owners Club
I have been running the VMSpc program on my 10" laptop for years, and just recently switched to a HP Omni 10 tablet. Like Scott's Surface the Omni does not use the USB port for charging, but I did need a micro to standard size USB adapter.

As others have stated the big difference between the PC version and the App is you can graphically layout all of the parameters you want to monitor on the screen with the PC version. The App just shows them as line items that you have to scroll through.

If some one has a laptop running in the coach for other reasons, you could get the PC layout to show and be functional on your non Windows tablet by using the Splashtop program Splashtop is the #1 Remote Desktop Solution for Mobile Devices, over 15 Million Users I tried it on my iPad and it worked fine (see attached pic), however I prefer to use my iPad for my navigation program.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Splashtop 001.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	62696  

BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:36 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhusak View Post

Richard..
I read the entire thread.. But didn't see that.. Don't you hate when that happens?
Really getting old I guess..
BTW Do you feel this is much better than a scangauge D?
Ron Husak
Ron,

The VMSpc is WAAAY better than a ScanGauge D.

There is NO comparison!

I can visually scan my screen quickly for the information I need versus having to scan through a gauge to get to the proper screen and information.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 05-12-2014, 04:41 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

We use an old HP Netbook on a dash mount and share it between VMSPc and MS Streets & Trips.

Rick
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC04114.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	257.4 KB
ID:	62697  

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:50 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWag View Post
Marc,

I did all my research on the system back in February, at that time the app for iPad was not customizable at all. I'm an Apple user and wanted to use one of my iPads for this application but the PC route was clearly more functional. I hated the thought of having to buy a PC or Windows based tablet but to get what I wanted I was stuck.

The Surface tablet has a USB port and another dedicated power port so I wasn't running into the problem with a shared USB port that others were experiencing so USB was fine for me. Wifi wasn't an option as you had to re-link the tablet after shutting down the engine but at the end of the day, I had no choice but to go the USB route as that is the only interface available if you want to use the integrated Pressure Pro TPMS. I've been very pleased with the USB interface, probably the most reliable in the long run and the Pressure Pro system works very well, nice to have the integrated TPMS without the additional display on the dash.

Scott
I have an original "Surface Tablet" not surface pro or Surface Pro 2. Would this work or would I need the later Surface Pro models. Thanks
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:54 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWag View Post
Don, do a search for "vmsair" on your iPhone apps, the app is called VMS for iPhone and is free.
Thanks, Found it and installed on iPhone. Now do I need the VMSpc black box with Bluetooth/WiFi that needs to be ordered direst from Silverleaf.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:56 PM   #49

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
I have an original "Surface Tablet" not surface pro or Surface Pro 2. Would this work or would I need the later Surface Pro models. Thanks
Don, the original Surface tablet will not work because it runs the RT version of Windows. This should help:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	VMSpc.png
Views:	59
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	62700  
SWag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:23 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
I have been running the VMSpc program on my 10" laptop for years, and just recently switched to a HP Omni 10 tablet. Like Scott's Surface the Omni does not use the USB port for charging, but I did need a micro to standard size USB adapter.

As others have stated the big difference between the PC version and the App is you can graphically layout all of the parameters you want to monitor on the screen with the PC version. The App just shows them as line items that you have to scroll through.

If some one has a laptop running in the coach for other reasons, you could get the PC layout to show and be functional on your non Windows tablet by using the Splashtop program Splashtop is the #1 Remote Desktop Solution for Mobile Devices, over 15 Million Users I tried it on my iPad and it worked fine (see attached pic), however I prefer to use my iPad for my navigation program.
OK this sounds very interesting. How does it work on an iPad as example. Thanks
Old 05-12-2014, 05:46 PM   #51

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
As for Bluetooth vs Wi-Fi, I have other devices that work simultaneously on Bluetooth. Are you sure you couldn't have one Bluetooth link between your VMS and your tablet, and another from your phone to your dash radio? I know you can't do this with Wi-Fi but it seems to me you could with Bluetooth.
I had this exact conversation today with Corey, his answer without even a pause was no. We discussed it in depth and its just too complicated, while you can be synced with several devices for automatic connection, at some point you can only have one device active in the data stream utilizing the Bluetooth controller in your phone/tablet.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:08 PM   #52

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks, Found it and installed on iPhone. Now do I need the VMSpc black box with Bluetooth/WiFi that needs to be ordered direst from Silverleaf.
Yes, you just need to order the system for Bluetooth directly from Silverleaf. They told me the part # was PM540.

Please call first and have a discussion with them. I only talked with them about Android did not discuss anything CrApple. My guess is that it will work the same, but would not hurt to have the conversation just in case.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:27 PM   #53

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
OK this sounds very interesting. How does it work on an iPad as example. Thanks
Don, it has been a while since I had this setup, but I'll do the best I can to explain it.

You will need to have Splashtop installed on both your laptop and iPad. There's a syncing process to go through that I don't remember the details of, but it was very easy to get it up and running.

Of course the laptop needs to be connected to the Silverleaf JIB (mine was via USB). You do your screen design layout on the laptop. Once you're done and start the Splashtop program, the same layout will appear on the iPad. If you look at the pic I posted you'll see an overlay of a mouse pointer and one mouse with the left button shaded, and another one with the right button shaded. You move the pointer around the screen with your finger. The mouse buttons are activated by pressing them with your finger.

So for example when you have filled your fuel tank and want to reset it, you would move the pointer to the Fuel Tank gauge, press the left mouse button to select that gauge, then the right mouse button which will bring up a menu. Move the pointer to Fill Tank and press the left mouse button, which will reset the gauge to a full tank.

You can use the same procedures to reset any mileage gauges you might have setup.

HTH,
Bob
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:19 PM   #54

For Apple products you have to use the wifi jib. I just went through this a month ago.

Silverleaf doesn't support Apple Bluetooth.

It will run on any laptop or Iphone/Ipad, all at once. I've had my Iphone and Ipad reading at the same time.

Bluetooth is only for Microsoft products.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:52 PM   #55

I spoke to Silverleaf today about the VMSpc for my 2005 Cat C7 engine and Freightliner chassis set up. They told they have had some issues with 2004 and 2005 Cat and Cummins engines working properly with the VMSpc. Has anyone had problems with a 2005 Cat C& Freightliner, thanks
Old 05-19-2014, 03:47 PM   #56

Quote:
I spoke to Silverleaf today about the VMSpc for my 2005 Cat C7 engine and Freightliner chassis set up. They told they have had some issues with 2004 and 2005 Cat and Cummins engines working properly with the VMSpc. Has anyone had problems with a 2005 Cat C& Freightliner, thanks
I am beginning to think that I misunderstood the person I was talking to at Silverleaf. I spoke to them initially about the Bluetooth VMSpc box option. So I think what he was referring to was the 2005 cat engine have problems with Bluetooth and WiFi. I will need to call back.